Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for using up canned beets?

Posted by mom2wildboys (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 11:51

I have some canned beet chunks that I'd like to use up so I can have the jars available to can other things this summer. I've mostly used them as a side dish sweetened with a little apricot fruit spread (my kids like 'em sweet). Does anyone have any good ideas for ways to use them up? I probably have 10 pints left. I found a recipe on Epicurious for chilled beet soup with dill cream that I might try. It calls for fresh beets, but I imagine I could substitute the canned variety. Anyone have any other great ideas?
Thanks!
Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for using up canned beets?

That's what I was about to suggest, chilled beet soup (borscht). I can't see any good reason not to use canned beets. Be sure to use the juice from the canned beets, of course. I could eat a LOT of this soup during this warm weather. Why didn't I grow beets this year?

Jim

o

You could make pickled beets and eggs - a great side dish for summer dining.

PICKLED EGGS AND RED BEETS

1 (1 lb.) can sliced beets
6 peeled hard-cooked eggs
Water
5 Tbsp. cider vinegar
3 packed Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 small onion. thinly sliced (optional)

Drain juice from the can of beets and place in a two quart jar. Add sugar and vinegar and stir well to dissolve sugar. Add 1 cup of water and stir again. Layer beets, eggs, and onion (if used) into the jar. Fill jar with water, cover, and shake gently to mix. Store in refrigerator for at least a day before eating.

o

This is good and I can't see why you couldn't sub canned beets.

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

California Beet Salad

1 bunch fresh beets
1 red onion, diced
Fresh basil, rough chopped
4 T balsamic vinegar
3 T extra virgin olive oil
1 T sugar
Pinch of black pepper

Cook beets in salted water until fork tender. Rinse in cold water, cut ends, apply pressure and skins should slide off. Dice beets, place in bowl with onion and basil. In small bowl whisk balsamic vinegar with olive oil. Whisk in sugar and pepper , toss with beets and serve.

Source: Chef Chaz LaGreca, the Capitol Caf, St Paul MN

Linda

o

Linda, that sounds wonderful! This thread is going to cause problems for me. I wonder if it's too late to plant beets. I will need a lot of them before this is over.

Jim

o

Thanks for the great suggestions! Jim, it's not too late to plant beets. This is actually a good time! I'm going to direct seed some tomorrow for a fall crop. :)

o

I love a beet, green bean & red onion salad. Very simple, just toss the veggies with your favorite vinaigrette. Sometimes I sprinkle it with chopped toasted nuts or crumbled feta/blue cheese.

o

Use your leftover pickle juice, and let the beets sit in them.
Only way I will eat canned beets.

o

"I'm going to direct seed some (beets) tomorrow for a fall crop. :)"

Well, I have not excuse for going beetless then, do I? I think I have some leftover seeds in my seed box.

Jim

o

We're almost done eating our goldens and planted more (reds, couldn't find golden seeds this time of year)

I love them pureed with roasted apples

Also drizzled with truffle oil viniagrette (Trader Joes carries truffle oil, seasonally) with greens and goat cheese, maybe hazelnuts

mmmmmmmmmm

o

When I was in Costa Rica, I had a lunch that included a beet & potato salad. Pretty much a basic potato & hard cooked egg salad with diced beets mixed in. It was really good! (And really pink! LOL)

Linda

o

Jessy, I envy you. I wish I could find golden beets here, I have been saving this recipe to try if and when I do!
I suppose you could sub reds, but it wouldn't be as pretty.

Roasted Beets with Pine Nuts, Dill and Red Onion
Source Cooking Light

2 lb golden beets
1/2 c water
1 c thinly vertically sliced red onion
2T toasted pine nuts
1 T chopped fresh dill
2 T red wine vinegar
2 tsp EV olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450F

Leave root and 1 inch of stem on beets, scrub well. Place beets in 13x9 inch baking dish, add 1/2 c water, cover and bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water, drain and cool. Trim off roots, rub off skins. Slice each beet into 8 wedges.

Combine beets, onion and remaining ingredients in a bowl, stirring gently. Yield 8 servings

Linda

o

doucanoe's beet-potato salad suggestion is a good one, although it doesn't use a lot of beets (especially since you have 10 pints to use up!).

The original recipe is Russian, as far as I know, but it has traveled to all kinds of places. My DH's family, Portugese-Chinese from Macao/Shanghai/Hong Kong, consider it one of their favorite recipes.

o

Here's one we like and I make it often. You can use fresh or canned.

Beets with Orange Vinaigrette

Recipe By Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

3 cans baby beets -- (15-ounce) drained and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
2 large seedless oranges -- zested
Segments 2 large seedless oranges

In a large mixing bowl, combine the beets, raspberry vinegar, orange juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and red onions. Zest the oranges and then segment over a bowl to catch the juices. Add the orange zest, orange segments, and any juices to the beet mixture and mix well. Taste for seasoning and serve cold or at room temperature.

Serves 6 to 8.

Description:
"This recipe is not only okay to make ahead, it actually tastes better if it is allowed to sit in the refrigerator for a few days while the vinaigrette soaks into the beets. If you are in a hurry, use canned baby beets."

o

I love beets and have some in my refrigerator that I just pulled yesterday. I eat the greens and the roots both and love 'em.

Beverly, that sounds really good, I think I'm going to try that with some of this batch. I can eat beets a couple of times a week, easily, and mostly just roast them, but I need to keep enough to can some pickled beets.

Shoot, I guess I should have planted two rows!

Annie

o

I had Linda's California Beet Salad tonight. Finally got around to making it. It was very good, living up to all expectations.

Jim

o

I like to roast them until they start to carmelize, then drizzle them with balsamic vinegar and add some crumbled feta.

o

Hey jim! Glad you liked that! It didn't take long at all for your beet crop to produce results! LOL

Jkom51, that is interesting about the beet/potato salad. Do you have an actual recipe for it? I've looked but never been able to find one. I tried duplicating and what I ended up woth was good, but not exactly the same as what I had in Costa Rica.

Linda

o

Beet Cake
* 4 eggs
* 2 cups sugar
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 2 cups flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 3 cups shredded fresh beets
* 1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
Heat oven to 350 , grease and flour 13x9 baking pan.
Beat eggs, sugar and oil until light and fluffy.
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and
cinnamon.
Add to egg mixture and mix well.
Add vanilla, beets and walnuts.
Beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
Pour into pan, bake for 45 minutes, or until
a pick comes out clean.

o

I use canned beets in my vegetable juice drink with tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, apples and herbs. It isn't V8 but I gave up trying to copy that one a long time ago.

What I make seems to be good (no, not AS GOOD) but drinkable. Go easy on the celery.

o

I had Swedish beet salad in a restaurant the other day and it was scrummy! I think it was something like mayo mixed with a little horseradish folded through diced beets. Yum!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here