Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expanding Selections of Fish I Cook

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 12 at 11:48

I have stuck with salmon, tuna, halibut, cod, and occasionally catfish for years, but have decided I need to expand the selections.

Yesterday I purchased some orange roughy. Did a search of this forum (no recipes except for salmon came up) and looked at recipes on the internet, but would prefer to try your tried and true recipes. So please would you share your recipes for fish dishes with me.

Also, I would like to know what you serve as sidedishes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expanding Selections of Fish I Cook

In case you haven't seen it, there might be some recipes of interest in the fish cookalong, linked below. Here's one of my favorites which I didn't post there. I made this simple recipe two nights ago at my wife's request, and it was the first time I used snapper - I usually use sea bass - and fresh tomatoes instead of canned. It was also the first time I included the olives. It was good!

Red Snapper or Other Thick White Fillets, Provencal-Style
Mark Bittman

2 Tbsp olive oil
2 med onions, chopped,
1 tsp minced garlic
2 cups cored and chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned, with juices
1/2 cup dry white wine or water
1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
1 cup tiny Nicoise or other good black olives, pitted
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
1 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
S&P to taste
1.5 pounds red snapper fillets

Heat oil in a deep skillet on med, add onions and cook until soft, about 5 min.

Add garlic and tomatoes, raise heat slightly, cook until some of the liquid cooks away. Add wine, stir, and cook another 5 minutes.

Add olives and half of the basil, the rosemary and thyme, S&P. Cook one minute. Submerge the fish in the sauce and cook until tender and white, about 8 minutes.

Garnish with remaining basil and serve with crusty bread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fish Cookalong

o

My go-to source for fish purchasing is Monterey Aquarium's Seafood Watch program for sustainable fish consumption. Link below.

For Orange Roughy, I used to mix Jerk seasoning (Penzeys) with orange marmalade or concentrated OJ, maybe a splash of lime juice, and bake/grill.

That being said...Orange Roughy is now on the 'avoid' list - mercury and over-fishing :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Seafood Watch Orange Roughy

o

The other day DH and I enjoyed blackened swordfish grilled on the outside gas grill. You can also use a hot cast-iron skillet but beware of smoke detectors. I served it with a potatoes romanoff casserole which was excellent.

The seasoning I use is:
1 heaping tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
1 heaping teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Mix all spices and herbs together in a small container and shake well. Obviously, adjust amounts for your taste. This blend will keep for about a month or two in a cool, dry, dark place. It's enough for about 4 swordfish loins.

o

My suggestion is to check out from your library or buy a comprehensive cookbook for buying and preparing fish. Mark Bittman's Fish is a good one.

Once you learn the fattiness and textures of different varieties of fish, you'll be able to interchange similar ones in recipes.

o

foodonastump - The red snapper sounds delicious; I don't recall seeing red snapper offered around here, but will certainly look for it. Thanks for the recipe and the link to the Fish Cookalong.

jessyf - I had no idea orange roughy is overfished and will not purchase it again.

paprikash - Thank for the rub recipe. I believe I had swordfish many years ago in California and thought it was very good. Will try to find it in our area.

ruthanna - Thanks for the library suggestion. Since I have been downloading books from the library digitally (and they don't offer cooksbooks), I did not even think of going to the library. Shame on me.

o

This one is super good and super simple, and believe it or not it came from a Weight Watchers cookbook! I've made it several times using different kinds of fish.

Fish Amandine
From Weight Watchers Meals in Minutes

2 four ounce sole or flounder filets (I've used grouper, cod and haddock)
1T plus 1 tsp flour
2 tsp olive oil or vegetable oil
1 T butter
1/2 oz sliced almonds
1/4 c dry white wine
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp each salt & white pepper
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
Lemon slices and parsley sprigs for garnish

Dredge fish filets in flour, lightly coating both sides. Reserve remaining flour.
Heat oil in non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add filets and cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer filets to platter and keep warm.

In same skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and melt butter. Add almonds and saut� until lightly browned. Add reserved flour, stirring quickly to combine. Stir in wine, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until reduced by half and thickened.

Pour almond mixture over filets, sprinkle with parsley, garnish with lemon slices and parsley sprigs.

2 servings. Per serving: 252 calories, 23g protein, 12g fat, 6g carbohydrate, 46mg calcium, 262mg sodium, 62mg cholesterol, 0.5g dietary fiber

WW points: 6

o

I have a good tuna recipe,and a stuffed flounder mmm gret,now Imade a stuffed fillet steak,I stuffed with shrimp,scallops,crab meat wrapped with bacon ,on the grill it was delicious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here