Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who, What, How, How?

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 11:33

I love this stuff!

• Who gifted it to me?
  • What is it? Hot, sweet relish--I know that much.
  • How do I make it?
  • How do you use it? I ate it by the spoonful but I'm sure there are other uses besides satisfying my taste buds.

• Follow-Up Postings:

o
    RE: Who, What, How, How?

Add a big scoop to BBQ sauces - thinking something like pulled pork sandwiches. Maybe could build a nice salsa-type thing around it for fish, depending on its sweetness. Hmmm, put it on ice cream? :)

/tricia

o

Thanks for the suggestions Tricia.

o

I can't answer your questions but it sure looks good.

Lee

o

Is that Annie's Habenero Gold Jelly?

Habanero Gold Jelly from Annie Absolutely the Very Best Pepper Jelly
    1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup finely diced red onion
    1/4 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
    1/4 cup finely diced habanero peppers, including seeds OR 1/4 cup diced, combined jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet peppers
    3 cups granulated sugar
    1 pouch Bernardin liquid pectin or Certo
    Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Individually, cut onion and seeded peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure each ingredient; add to apricots. Stir in sugar.
    Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard
    1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well.
    Pour jelly into hot jar, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe rims. Apply lids.
    Process 10 minutes in BWB. Cool upright, until lids pop down, about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but the jelly is still hot, carefully grasp jar without disturbing lid and invert, twist, or rotate each jar to distribute solids throughout jelly. The jar can be inverted temporarily but do not allow it to stand upside-down for prolonged periods.
    Repeat as necessary during the cooling/setting time, until solids remain suspended in the jelly.

o

It looks like the squash relish that I make, but it is not hot.
    I hope the "Gifter" sees this and shares the recipe, it looks really good.

o

Lee, Yes, it's very good!

Walnut, Good guess, I make Annie's Habenero Gold Jelly so I know that's not what it is. But I think it is made with habeneros and onions.

Trixie, I don't think there is any squash.

Here is what it looked like yesterday, right before it looked totally empty...

o

Nope, it's not mine, but it looks yummy, I'll be looking forward to knowing where it came from.

Annie

o

Umm, I think I would eat that on anything that came across my plate. Glad you are enjoying! What a wonderful gift.

o

How about Wizard/Nancy or IPink/Laurie?

o

Cathy, I was waiting to see who sent it also. It wasn't me, but it does sound good.

o

Perhaps it was a drive by fruiting.

o

Well, do we know who sent the stuff? Nice gift!

o

(LOL Denise I see what you did there!)

o

was it in a box, or on your porch? Maybe a neighbor?

o

Thanks for bringing this up again--I'm still looking for the source.

It was in my pantry with my other gifted jams, jellies, and relishes. And no neighbor or non-CF friend creates such things--that's why I hang with you all!

o

Raymond?!?!?

o

Onion marmalade?

Here is a recipe that might be similar. The finished color is wrong (pic in link) but I would attribute that to the brown sugar and red wine vinegar. White sugar and apple cider vinegar might yield a similar color to yours.

Onion Marmalade

2-1/2 pounds sweet onions
    1-1/2 cups apple juice
    3/4 cup red wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
    2 teaspoons dry sage
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    4 cups raw cane sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 box Sure Jell pectin
    1 teaspoon butter

Directions:

Wash 7 half pint canning jars and keep hot until needed; prepare 2 piece canning lids as manufacturer directs.

Peel onions then cut into strips about 1/4″ thick, 1″ long by quartering. Prepared onions should measure 7 cups.

Place prepared onions in a heavy bottomed pot.

Stir in apple juice, vinegar, garlic, sage, salt, pepper, mustard and pepper flakes and mix thoroughly.

Measure granulated sugar into a bowl then remove 1/4 cup and set aside in a small bowl. To the larger amount of granulated sugar add brown sugar and mix.

To the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar stir in the pectin. Stir the pectin sugar mixture into the onion mixture in the pot then add butter.
    Place pot over high heat then bring mixture to a full rolling boil stirring constantly. Immediately stir in the remaining sugars.

Bring mixture to a full rolling boil then boil for exactly 5 minutes stirring constantly.Remove from heat and skim off foam if necessary.
    Ladle hot marmalade into 1 hot jar at a time leaving 1/4″ head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean damp cloth then attach lids.

Fill and close remaining jars then process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool overnight on the counter.

It's a thought. This recipe sounds good to me. I might make it when I get back to canning.

E

Here is a link that might be useful: Onion marmalade.

o

That's it! Raymond made it! ;-)

o

I agree, it must have been Raymond. He went out, got that knife out the the tree and cut up a bunch of vegetables and canned them.

Yes, that sounds like Raymond. (grin)

Annie

o

Real funny!!! Just tonight he was studying the knobs on the stove at length. I asked him what he was trying to do. He said he wanted to warm leftovers. No lie!!

I was just thinking about Excalibur, some vines have grown around it. I'll have to get another knife--no, how about some yard clippers and cut them out.

And to think, someone just sent us a youtube link of an interview they did with him stating he was a legend.

o

And he IS a legend, both here and as a coach. He's just a legend here for other reasons!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here