Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Pan Passed its time to Pretty Pizza Peel

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 11:14

Each year, billions of non-stick pans get trashed. OK they are recycled. Metal cannot be recycling too many times, and recycling also pollutes.

Re-purposing, re-using is a better strategy.

Here is an idea to re-purpose an expired aluminum pan.

Aluminum is soft and very easy to work with. You can hammer the pan to flatten it and turn it to a useful conversation piece when you have a pizza party.

dcarch

photo panpeel2_zpsa4865483.jpg

photo pizzapeel_zpsc5430417.jpg

photo pizzapeel2_zps7af69980.jpg

photo pizzapeelpan_zpsb33711d1.jpg

photo LahmbiAjeenpizzapeel_zpsbee4a9a5.jpg

This post was edited by dcarch on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 11:39

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Pan Passed its time to Pretty Pizza Peel

Very nice. And very pretty. Even the pizza is pretty.

~Ann

o

Cool.

o

Yes, very apeeling. ;-]

o

Very artsy. I love the engraving. Great idea.

o

PRETTY!!!

I know guys who might take it to stage 1, or even 2, but wouldn't decorate it beyond their initials. That's really lovely.

o

Should have been Prime, not Time, to complete the alliteration, no? :)

Very nice. What is used for the reverse image sections?

o

I have the feeling of deja vu--I get the sense that I've seen you post this, or maybe something similar, a few years ago. Was it a different pan? In any case, I love the design.

Sue

o

That's fantastic! The skillet didn't even look that bad that you re-purposed. The pizza looks good too, btw.

o

Another amazing project! Does your mind keep you awake at night?

o

Thank you, thank you! Thank you everyone. I appreciate your kind flatteries.

Cathy, “Another amazing project! Does your mind keep you awake at night?”

No, as long as I have my security blanket. :-)

Jasdip, “---The skillet didn't even look that bad that you re-purposed. -------“

Did you see the picture showing the bottom?

FOAS, “Should have been Prime, not Time, to complete the alliteration, no? :)
Very nice. What is used for the reverse image sections?”

I gave it some thought “passed its prime” means Still OK, but not as good. I decided to go with “Passed its time” of usefulness. Then wordsmithing is not my pastime. :-)
Sharp eyes! There is a liquid I use that will turn aluminum black.

Sue, “ I have the feeling of deja vu--I get the sense that I've seen you post this, or maybe something similar, a few years ago. Was it a different pan ? In any case, I love the design.”

Sue, you have good memory. I think you may be remembering some other projects I have posted using old frying pans.

Dcarch

photo fountain2.jpg

photo fountain8.jpg

photo spade.jpg

photo spade6.jpg

This post was edited by dcarch on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 21:17

o

dcarch, I agree with Ann T, both the peel and the pizza are pretty, but I really like that triangular spade, that's very unique.

Annie

o

Dcarch, if I have a good memory, it's because the concept and the artistry are unique and delightful! I hope the birds appreciate your talent!

Sue

o

Lovely things!!! You're a very talented person!

o

Thank you Annie. As it turned out, the hand spade is a great idea. All the gardening spades I have seen are too small for many tasks. This one works well. I wonder why they don't make bigger ones.

Sue, I made the bird bath so that the birds will not pick on my tomatoes because there are no places they can get a drink in my area. The idea panned out. :-)

Islay, thanks. Re-cycling is enjoyable for me, including turning leftover food into new dishes.

dcarch

BTW, the fountain for the birdbath is solar energy operated. No batteries or electric power needed. Inexpensive and works well.

This post was edited by dcarch on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 7:16

o

Wow!

Sally

o

Don't stop reposting...the ones of us who missed the first time or worst yet forgot enjoys second time around!!

It is just incrediable how your mind works. How do you have time for all this?

Shirl

o

You are truly an artist. Not a craftsperson, nor an artisan but an artist. Not that I really know the difference but my gut tells me so.

Thanks for letting us see.

o

I love the spade, DC!

o

I agree, dcarch, a much better size than those little flimsy tiny things they try to pawn off as a "trowel". Pah, I couldn't plant anything with some of those! Yours is the best of both worlds, both beautiful AND functional.

Annie

o

Nodding in assent.

Dcarch, I like your pizza peel, but the 'pretty' description just doesn't fit.

To me, the pan with its black base and silver scrolls 'screams' Rock n' Roll.
Certainly a piece that hip chef, Kerry Simon, would covet.

Sol

o

Thanks again everyone!

It's inspiring to be part of this community. A lot more than cooking, there are so many talented members to draw ideas from; museum quality sculptor, weaver, furniture designer, cabinet maker, photographer, ceramic maker, painter ---------------.

dcarch

o

duplicate deleted.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 16:31

o

Saw this the other night at work... immediately wondered what i should make, : )
I seldom use a hand trowel...i use a scarpani most small digging for infant plant starts.
I do need a bird bath and have a few solar fountains...(a dumpster dive in mid-town)
Hmmm...fun designing ideas for the up-coming weekend. Always re-purposing and making things from found objects. I do have a few of those pans i never use any more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here