Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbs

Posted by papillon1 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 11:11

Just curious, what herbs do you use most in the summer? Do you grow them in your garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbs

Scarborough Fair herb garden here...parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme as well as chives, basil and lemon thyme. The patio looks like a pot farm.

Hope I didn't create an ear worm!

o

Basil is the only herb I use more of in the summer, as it grows faster with more sun and grows fairly slowly during the winter and is usually finished by February, at which time it is difficult to restart. Oregano, thyme, and rosemary grow well all year, although slightly more slowly during the winter, but then I almost never use the rosemary and have it as an ornmental bush. As for cilantro and parsley - those I pretty much grow only in the winter, as they bolt too quickly during the summer, and I do not have shady areas available for them. I have a lot more herbs in winter than in summer, partly because I do not want to have to water them every day during the summer and like to conserve water. If we had rain during the summer, I would grow more summer herbs.

Lars

o

Basil, basil, and more fresh basil! On the trip we made to Atlanta--Jude, Cathy, and I (and Jude's daughters)--the Farmer's Market had fresh from the ground, quite literally, roots and all, and I could've stayed there all doggone day! Smelled heavenly. I always get heirloom tomato and basil wherever I go during summer.

I do love Scarbourogh fair combo though. It's become our go-to these days.

o

My herb garden is pretty new, and year round. I have several kinds each of sage, thyme, oregano, and tarragon, some of which are bigger than others, also rosemary and chives, as well as some peppers (mostly serranos and jalapeños) that keep trying to die then throw fruit. Some of them are uber happy, but I cannot keep parsley or basil, which I use most, alive! And I've been scared of planting mint and need to find a good place to put it in a pot.

Those last three, the ones I don't grow, are the ones I use most, especially in the Summer. The rest are really more for soups, stews, roasts and "spaghetti" sauce (regional name for red sauce with meat). :)

o

I grow sage, rosemary, thyme, chives, dill, and basil. The dill and basil are in pots. The sage bush is really beautiful. Almost too lovely to prune.

I've buried a pot of mint that is starting to creep. But I use so much mint for iced tea, and mojitos, that I could never tear it out..

o

Summer is sushi season.

In addition to typical herbs, shiso, or perilla (perilla fructescens). I’ve also seen it labeled “beefsteak plant”.

Self-seeding, comes up every year.

dcarch

o

Mixed in my flower garden you will find chives, thyme, tarragon, parsley and basil...

o

I've grown herbs for at least 26 years. In my herb garden (which is half of my back garden -- the other half is patio) are basil (and I just plant the big leaf variety -- less needed for pesto!), chives, rosemary, marjoram, lavender, fennel, salad burnett, sage, lovage, tarragon, thyme, garlic chives, dill, parsley, and sorrel. I use them liberally all the time in whatever I cook. They are all in the ground. Some are annuals which come back every year while others I have to replant each spring. Herbs are a great way to add good flavor to food. And fresh is best! I make pesto and herb butters and that basically is the only way I preserve my herbs for the winter. I'm not in favor of dried herbs -- in the winter, if there isn't anything to pick in the garden, I buy fresh ones at the market.

Martha

o

I have an herb garden outside my kitchen door. I have sage, rosemary, basil, chives, tarragon, oregano, thyme, cilantro, dill, fennel and mint.

I find that I never use the mint, I'm not wild about it. The sage can withstand my Michigan winters and I've plucked that and oregano out of the snow.

I do like my fresh herbs, but haven't yet figured out how to have ripe tomatoes and cilantro ready at the same time for salsa!

Annie

o

I never seem to have luck growing lush parsley or cilantro. I use mint for tabouleh often and will sometimes put it in cold beverages in the summer and other salads. Basil, chives, dill mostly are what I use. Occasionally sage, which I only like in small doses. I have thyme and oregano and I do use those fresh, but not that often.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here