Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bushel of Freestone peaches

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 11:09

Last year I froze them and was not happy with the outcome. They were mushy and had to be used right away after thawing or they turned.

Would I have better luck canning them? The store-bought ones in the cans are so nice and firm (don't taste that good though).

I hate to pass up the bushel but would like a better end product. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bushel of Freestone peaches

They can up great, any kind of syrup you want--light or heavy. I do mine with a cinnamon stick, you can spice them up all kinds of ways, add some candied ginger, etc.

o

Alton Brown sez to use some sugar and vitamin C when freezing to help maintain texture.

He also adds smoked paprika! I might pass on that.

Here is a link that might be useful: AB's frozen peaches

o

Dehydrate, peach leather.

Peach ice cream.

dcarch

o

I agree, they can nicely, although they are not as firm as the ones from the store. They are softer, but taste infinitely better.

I also freeze some, because those are better for baked goods like pies and cobblers.

I also make a peach syrup for pancakes with small pieces of peaches in it, it was Dad's favorite.

Annie

o

Peach jam.

o

Yes, they are softer because if you do them yourself you are more likely to use ripe peaches. Which is why they taste better. I wouldn't say the texture was too mushy, but not real firm either. For me, canned peaches are less like eating a peach and more for mixing in with things like pancake or cake topping, with yogurt or ice cream, smoothies, etc. I mostly use mine for a simple dessert topped with granola and yogurt and nuts, or grilled with sour cream and brown sugar. I have used them for cake too. But I use the frozen ones if I want peach pie out of season. I usually make peach raspberry pie with frozen berries too.

o

I have frozen them in half, and then either eat them quick at thawing, or canned them immediately. This year I will not be so lay to can them, and they should be fine.

I froze them with orange and lime juice but they still get brown within a day. But I can eat some and make a peach pie, and they are fine. Such picky fruit!

Cheri

o

I have frozen them in half, and then either eat them quick at thawing, or canned them immediately. This year I will not be so lay to can them, and they should be fine.

I froze them with orange and lime juice but they still get brown within a day. But I can eat some and make a peach pie, and they are fine. Such picky fruit!

Cheri

o

Make Peach Salsa!

YUMMY!

o

Incidentally, if you open a couple of Vitamin C capsules and dissolve them in a bowl of water, you can peel and slice the peaches right into the acidulated water and it keeps the fruit from browning. Works for apples, peaches, pears, pretty much any fruit and a whole lot cheaper than Fruit Fresh/etc.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here