SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellsmom

Here's to you, GW and momj47! New Breville Juicer is a winner

bellsmom
10 years ago

Ok, I know I am a waste-not maniac.
I also love to sip a martini with a twist of lemon as I cook dinner.
In the past, this has led to an endless progression of naked lemons slowly wizening in the fridge, I HATE to throw them away before I have to. And I (in the past) never got around to making juice from just one or two, and never somehow accumulated enough to make it worth my while.
But NOW. TA DA ....

The Breville Electric Juicer was listed as a Woot special in June and momj47 posted a notice here. I looked and was hooked. Extravagant, even at the great Woot price (which was 50% of Amazon's, 40% off retail), but irresistable.

And now I cut the zest from a dozen lemons at a time, spread the peels on a cookie sheet to freeze and then store them in a baggie to be removed one or two at a time for my daily martini.

Then I juice the whole dozen lemons--the last bunch gave me almost two cups of juice, pour the juice into an ice cube tray, freeze it, and dump the cubes into a baggie, and store in the freezer. Takes maybe 10 minutes.

(This works with oranges, too, except that I usually use a microplane zester instead of peeling off strips. The grated zest can be frozen in teaspoon sized lumps or in flat pieces that can be broken to desired amounts.)

A lemon juice ice cube in a glass of water with a bit of sweetener (I use a teaspoon of sugar), a few stirs, and some regular ice cubes, and I have a great glass of lemonade. Perfect for these hot afternoons.

A final comment:
As momj47 said, the juicer is unbelievably efficient. Lemons and oranges, once dejuiced by the Breville can barely be hand squeezed to yield a drop more juice.
All I throw away is a bit of pulp (most goes into the juice) and the white pith. Even I can throw that away with a fluorish. And cleanup is quick and easy.

Cheers, all. And thanks again to GW for making my days more fun.

Comments (2)