SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

1st time convection oven use and I need help.

flseadog
14 years ago

We have a new GE Monogram convection wall oven that I have used only once in the convection mode. Since I've never done convection before could you tell me if this is experience is "normal"? I baked a cake using the regular bake setting at 350 degrees and my oven thermometer read 350 and the cake turned out perfect in the exact amount of time the recipe specified. (I got in the habit of using a separate oven thermometer in my old oven because its performance was so erratic and I thought it would be a good idea to check the new oven to make sure it was okay). The next day I used the convection roast setting to make 2 Cornish hens, the basic supermarket variety. I set the temperature at 350 degrees but after the preheat my oven thermometer read 325 degrees and never went above that temperature. The Cornish hens which weighed about 1 3/4 lbs. each weren't cooked through for about an hour and a half but they were beautifully browned and tasty when done. Here are my questions: 1) is it normal for the temperature to be lower than the actual setting when using convection? The user manual didn't say so anywhere I could find. 2) Did I just misuse the oven in the sense that normally I would have cooked the Cornish hens in my old oven at about 425 degrees for 45 minutes. I guess I'm asking if the convection setting is meant to be used for larger cuts of meat such as a large chicken, turkey or a standing rib roast? Thanks for any tips you can give me.

Comments (2)