Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why the difference? Cake Mix

Posted by CLBlakey (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 10:46

Confession- I cheat when making cakes I start with a boxed mix then tweek it. My question is about the difference between chocolate and white cake. Recently I made a white cake and added a can of blitzed up pineapple it was so moist I couldn't believe it. So I decided to try the same thing with a chocolate cake mix results were not the same this cake was airy and a bit moist. I used the exact same amounts with each cake mix. So Why the difference?

here is the recipe

1 box cake mix
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained and blitzed
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why the difference? Cake Mix

That is interesting. One possible factor could be the volume of the cake mix. As many have noted the amount of cake mix in a box has shrunk in the past decade. Perhaps the chocolate cake mix was one that had the difference of those appr. three ounces more weight in it than the white mix.

Kate

o

There is a chemical difference between white & Chocolate cake. They are not the same thing. Cocoa powder changes the ratio of flour, leavening, liquid, etc and has a different viscosity so moistness, airiness is different.

o

Deleted due to duplicate

This post was edited by KMBC on Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 18:47

o

Thanks KMBC.....I guess I will have to keep playing if I want a super moist chocolate cake then. I was wondering if it was the cocoa. I know adding more pineapple won't work I will have to try pudding and sour cream next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here