Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouting Questions

Posted by CLBlakey (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 10:38

I bought a sprouter a few months ago and so far only tried mung beans. I am having an issue before they grow full size they start looking rusty. What am I doing wrong. Also wondering what other things you sprout and if the techniques are different. I have quinoa will it sprout?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouting Questions

Mung beans are the exception to the rule when it comes to sprouts.

Are you using an acidified water solution for soaking and rinsing your sprouts? Mix 1 t. citric acid in 1 quart of water. This aids in retarding spoilage by bacterial growth and also helps prevent discoloration.

You may be letting them sprout too long. In order to get the long sprout "tails" associated with mung bean sprouts, you need to sprout them under pressure, such as under a plate, rather then in a normal sprouter. If you don't use the pressure method they won't get as long. They also taste better, are thicker and more juicy, when sprouted under pressure.

Be sure to grow them away from light because light tends to make them tougher - more woody. Try rinsing them more frequently using COLD water, and rinse them for at least one minute. This is especially helpful if the ambient temperature is above 70-degrees F. When you are done with the 1-minute rinse, rinse them with citric acid water. In warm weather they should be done in 3-4 days, and up to 6 days in cool weather.

-Grainlady

o

Sprouting on a plate? Do you need to put a moist cloth down or just rinse and compress. Can you stack plates for more sprouts? Sounds like I wasted my money as I mostly wanted to do mung beans.

o

It's a method I learned in the 1990's reading "The Sprouting Book" by the "guru" of sprouting and raw foods - Ann Wigmore. You can check her web site (Ann Wigmore Natural Health Institute) and her books can be found at many libraries. Great information!

A plate, which sits inside the container, is used to weigh down the sprouts. Often a brick, or other weight, is placed on the plate and the pressure forces the sprouts to grow thicker and more juicy. You can still do mung beans, just don't expect them to be like what you see commercially. Commercial mung beans are done entirely differently than what we do at home.

I've included a link below to the Sprout People (one of my favorite go-to sites for sprouting information) where they do a smaller version in an Easy Sprouter. BTW, of all the sprouters I've used for the last 30+ years, Easy Sprouters are my favorite and I always have a number of them in use.

e-How has a how-to on "How to Grow Straight Bean Sprouts" that includes the plate method: http://www.ehow.com/how_7308827_grow-straight-bean-sprouts.html

You may also notice Wigmore, Sprout People, e-How, and most other sources do NOT suggest the use of acidified water. This is something I've learned while studying the subject of sprouting in order to aid in better sprouting, to help prevent spoilage, and reduce the potential for bacteria growth. Be healthy, and be safe, when it comes to sprouts! Be sure to sanitize your sprouter between use.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Sprout People - Mung Bean Sprouts

o

Thank you for your help I am trying quinoa at the moment and once I figure out how to put even pressure on the mung beans I will try again. You are right I did notice that others don't use the acidified water. Will lemon juice work or do I have to buy citric acid powder. The link was helpful too re lighting.

o

Lemon juice is only one sixth (1/6) as effective as ascorbic acid powder or citric acid powder. It takes 1-cup (bottled) lemon juice to 1-quart water, so citric acid powder is pretty cost effective. I make up a gallon jug of acidified water at a time.

I use this same acidified water as a pre-treatment for foods I dehydrate - for the same reason - to prevent bacteria growth. I also use the acidified water for soaking/rinsing wheat for sprouting and growing into wheatgrass for juicing, and it's an ingredient in (non-edible) Fizzy Bath Bombs we make for Christmas baskets each year, so I purchase citric acid powder in bulk (8-10 pounds). A 4-5 ounce container will last most people a long time for infrequent use.

If you have a container of "Fruit Fresh" you can use it since it's a mix of ascorbic acid and citric acid. At the end of canning season last summer I bought a number of containers of Fruit Fresh at a reduced price (5-oz. containers for $2.99, reg. $4.99) to add to my stash.

You might also like sprouting lentils. I make all kinds of things with sprouted lentils - lentil tacos, Lentil Granola Bars, Sprouted Lentil-Oat Waffles, dehydrate them for "instant" lentils (just soak them in hot water to rehydrate or they will cook quickly in hot water) or season sprouted lentils with Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning Blend and dehydrate them for a snack food, add sprouted lentils to salads and stir-fry, to mention a few ways to use them.

-Grainlady

o

the lentils we get here are split not sure if they would sprout. I am hoping the quinoa sprouts hubby doesn't like it cooked. So I have a now what thing going on. It has been 24 hours and no sign of life yet. I think I have fruit fresh I will try that. I also have red rice that I might try. Time to spread my wings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here