Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Julia Child's Scrapple Recipe

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 10:15

Unlike other Scrapple Recipes this one actually appeals to me. Not made from, as Tricia calls it ~ Mystery Meat ~ Julia Child's version is made from homemade sausage.

I like all the ingredients in this recipe. HOmemade sausage seasoned with sage, cornmeal and more sage in the scrapple. Sounds good to me.

I might try making this the next time I make sausage. I already have some ideas of how I will adjust the seasoning.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Julia Child's Scrapple
======================
4 cups sausage meat preferably homemade.
4 cups pork stock or other flavourful meat stock
1 tablespoon or more fragrant sage leaf
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone ground.
1/2 cup cold water
3 eggs
Salt and pepper

Saute sausage meat in a large frying pan until it is no longer pink. Break up with fork. About 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve set over a bowl and reserve fat - which may be used for sauting finished scrapple.

Bring the stock to a boil adding sage to taste. Mix the cornmeal with the cold water in a bowl and then whisk in a cupful of the hot stock. Return cornmeal to stock band bring to a boil whisking slowly and cook for 5 minutes or more until mixture is tick, like cornmeal mush. Cover pan, set in a larger pan of simmering water and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from pan of hot water and boil over moderately hit heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until cornmeal is thick and heavy and holds its shape in a spoon - the thicker the better, so that it will unmold and slice easily later.

Beat the cooked and drained sausage meat into the cornmeal, breaking it up so that it will blend nicely and boil, stirring and beating for 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in eggs. Taste carefully for seasoning scrapple is traditionally fragrant with sage and highly seasoned.

Butter an 8 cup loaf pan, line bottom of pan with wax paper, and turn the cornmeal mixture into it. Cover with wax paper and aluminum foil and bake for an hour or more in a preheated 350�F oven until mixture is swelled and bubbling hot.

Remove from oven, place a board on top of the scrapple (over the wax paper and foil) and a 5 pound weight (canned goods , meat grinder, etc.) and let cool. When Cold, remove weight and board, cover airtight and chill.

Once baked in its pan, scrapple will keep for at least 2 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator. It can be frozen; however, , pork products tend to lose texture and savor after two months in the freezer.

To serve run a knife around inside of mold, then set mold on top of stove to heat and loosen bottom; unmold onto a cutting board. Slice into serving pieces about 3/8 inch thick. Dredge lightly in cornmeal and brown on both sides in butter or rendered sausage fat.

Serve for breakfast with friend or poached eggs, or fried apple slices; or use as a dinner meat, accompanying the scrapple with green vegetables such as broccoli or cabbage, or a green salad or cole slaw.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Julia Child's Scrapple Recipe

I have made that......and would add a couple of things....I always had my sausage coarse ground, for scrapple, you better have it fine ground twice, or when you go to slice it it will crumble. And the broth should be very well jelled....lots of gelatin in it to hold the chilled stuff together.

and it still didn't taste like Philadelphia Scrapple....but maybe it didn't have enough pepper.

o

I've never heard of Scrapple, Ann. How are you familiar with it (as it's not a Canadian thing). Have you eaten it before?

o

Ann that does sound good and I would definitely try it.

I think what I don't like about most scrapple is that it has a liver flavor and I don't care for liver. Not to mention I am turned off by the idea of eating an organ that is used to filter toxins out of another creatures body... but that is another thread.

Thanks for posting Julia's recipe - I may have to give it a try the next time I make sausage.

Alexa

o

Ann, that's a more complicated version of something my Mom used to make for breakfast with maple syrup. Dad was German-Russian & Mom was German from Keokuk, Iowa so pork & cornmeal was a natural fit for Mom. She was not one for "fancy" (lol) names - she called it "fried sausage in cornmeal". There was sage in it but not overwhelming (probably 'cause of Dad's tastes). It didn't always slice cleanly so us kids often got little pieces on our plates. I was in my late 20s when I discovered the supposed real deal "scrapple" that I won't eat. I tried making Mom's version once/twice a long time ago but couldn't get it to slice cleanly enough to be presentable on a plate. Never tried again. I do still make plain fried cornmeal mush though - that's on our "breakfast treat" list for several times/year.

/tricia

o

I LOVE scrapple..the whole real thing. I am PA Dutch and it was a part of our heritage. I would also like the sausage version I'm sure. I also like all things liver although i don't find the scrapple I buy tastes like liver. I am just a country girl at heart!
Joann

o

I'm a homemade scrapple lover, and I think the recipe sounds really good. I know I've posted before about making scrapple from the Thanksgiving turkey carcass and all the bits and pieces of leftover meat. I never cared for soup make from leftover turkey, so when a friend told my mom & I about making scrapple, we were sold.

I realize my version is not authentic PA Dutch scrapple, but it's sure tasty. No mystery meats or organs, just turkey scraps. Lots of "jell" because of the long simmering of the carcass and saved bones. The biggest difference between what I do and Julia Child's recipe is that I don't add eggs and don't bake it. I bet the eggs and baking make it quite firm. I may have to try that some time.

Ann, thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to save it for the next time I have a turkey carcass to deal with. Or maybe just go ahead and use homemade, salt-free sausage. Scrapple is one of my husband's favorite breakfasts.

o

I will be trying this recipe very soon. For me Julia's recipes always work with a little tweaking. I love scrapple but I'm one of those that is not eatinliveranymore! ;-) Sausage is a great sub.

Ann, when you make this let us know how it turned out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here