Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mixed flower breads

Posted by olga_6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 10:00

I am interested in tried and true bread recipies which contain mixture of flours. For example rye, whole weat, flax seed meal,etc. There are many on internet, in a way too many. Want to find something that works. I cook breads on a regular basis (baguette, rye, no kneed, rye no kneed challah), but what to try something different. Would like it to include, if possible, rye and flax meal.
Thank you very much.
Olga

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mixed flower breads

My eyes were playing tricks on me Olga. Read your heading quickly and thought it said Mixed flower beds! Now why would she post that here, I thought?! NancyLouise

o

I'd suggest a trip to your local library and check the cookbook section for bread books and the link below to King Arthur Flour recipes.

You need to keep in mind you will need a larger ratio of high-gluten wheat flour than low-gluten or gluten-free flour or your bread won't rise. The higher the ration of low-gluten and gluten-free flour, you may need to add Vital Wheat Gluten to make up for the loss of gluten. I mill whole grains/seeds/beans and make my own multi-grain flour and coarse cereal mixtures for bread making and all baked goods.

Word of caution if you use a high ratio of rye flour in a bread recipe, the dough texture remains rather sticky even with the correct hydration. Due to the stickiness it's easy to add too much flour during kneading and end up with a dry dough and a "brick" for a loaf of bread. To help prevent this you can oil your hands during kneading, dip your hands in water during kneading, or knead your dough in a large zip-lock bag (using a method similar to "Bread-in-a-Bag").

The link below is to King Arthur Flour and a nice group of multi-grain bread recipes and they are well-tested.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur Flour - Multi-Grain Bread Recipes

o

Thank you. Sorry, I post more on rose forum than here. So flower was an acceptable typo:)
Grainlady, thank you very much. I did look at AKF site before posting here. Just wanted to hear from somebody who already tried any of them.
I am familiar with just rye or rye/weat breads. They are my main stream breads. I can't imagine living w/o real rye. Rye is my favorite bread.
Olga

o

I have tried a few rye and rye/wheat breads in my bread machine with rather poor results. Found the bread was quite heavy and not that tasty.

My supermarket quit carrying one commercial rye bread, and only kept Robust Rye which I find rather bland.

Any suggestions?

Go with the oven instead of the bread machine?
Right now I've got rye flour, whole wheat flour, bread flour, and corn meal.

o

robertz6,

If you are not on a salt restricted diet, this rye bread recipe from King Arthur is good for a sandwich. It's light and flavorful. I've used it for years when serving rye sandwiches to a crowd because some people don't like the heavy texture of traditional rye and this is very light.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Extra Light Rye Bread

o

I love light rye breads and dark, too. Honey whole wheat? Sure. There are many, many mixed breads here. If you search using google for rye breads and honey whole wheat, you will find a ton of recipes on this site. Good baking!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here