Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pizza Rolls were to die for!

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 8:59

Visited a friend's vacation recently. Another guest brought these small, round pizza (or maybe stromboli) rolls made with Rhodes rolls and stuffed with pepperoni, cheese, ham, etc.. They were wonderful!

I make stromboli with Rhodes frozen bread dough and it is great but I loved this little rolls because you don't get the "dead space" (no filling) at the ends like you do with a whole loaf.

Unfortunately, after numerous attempts, no one has offered the recipe. I've looked online with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas? All I remember her saying is that each one used two rolls (top and bottom pressed together).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pizza Rolls were to die for!

Stir, I make them all the time for the girls, but I use my own bread dough. They called them calzones, or homemade "hot pockets". I just make bread dough, let it rise, roll it out and cut it into 3 inch rounds. I roll those as flat as I can, spread them with pizza sauce, add canadian bacon, pepperoni, mushrooms, cheese, whatever anyone likes. I fold the dough over on itself like a tart, and seal the edges with a fork, then put onto a baking sheet and bake them.

If you want to use the frozen rolls, just roll them out flat, spread the bottom one with the sauce, add the rest of the ingredients, top with a second flattened roll, place on a baking sheet and bake. I bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes, until they are nicely browned.

I've filled them with sauerkraut, corned beef and swiss cheese for "reubens", I've filled them with taco meat and cheese, I've filled them with leftover chicken and broccoli in cheese sauce, I've filled them with leftover beef stew, LOL. I've filled the darned things with nearly anything you can think of, and the girls liked to take them to school when they carried lunches, they were better than a plain old sandwich.

I even cut heart shapes out of dough and attached them, made initials. The shamrocks I made one year rose all out of shape, but the green dough was interesting, LOL. Just added green food coloring to the bread dough, but it was certain unique!

I have pictures of the process, but I can't post them here at work, I'll try later tonight.

Annie

o

And......peanut butter and jelly is good too as is fruit and a marshmallow!
Linda C

o

Oh, and I forgot to add, make sure you seal the edges well. A brush of egg wash or some water will help, but if the edges aren't sealed, the melted cheese leaks out!

Annie

o

Stir fryi:
I think Annie's is what you are looking for.

The Calzones they sell in Pizzeries are Larger.
- - - - - - - - -
To get a Stromboli without Dead spaces, roll the Dough thinner.

Here is a Surf and Turf Stromboli, before it is rolled up.

It has Steamed Broccoli Veggies, Sausage, Pepperoni,Provolone Cheese,
Pcs. of Ham and Shrimp. Etc.

Baked:

Cut in Half:

Lou

o

Oh, gee whiz, Lou!!

I just finished my lunch but I'm on my way over for a piece of THAT!!!

Save me some, huh?

Deanna

o

These are good, not much of a recipe, more like instructions. A former boss used to make these for work parties.

I am sure you could cut out individual rounds or triangles, fill and bake like a calzone.

Frozen bread dough, thawed but not risen

Roll out on floured board. Brush with melted butter. Top with pepperoni, crumbled bacon, and shredded cheddar cheese. Roll up and bake at 350F until golden brown. Slice into 1/2" slices and serve warm.

Can be frozen and reheated.

Linda

o

Stir fry i:
I didn't realize you wanted Recipes.
Here is my Pizza dough Recipe. Use it however you like .

For Calzone's, ( Folded Pizza or Pocket sandwich )roll a ball of Dough, into an 8 to 10 inch circle,about 1/4 inch thick.
Use the same filling that you would use on a Pizza.

Lay whatever you like on it Steamed Veggies with Sausage or Shrimp.
Add some ( Optional )Spaghetti Sauce, 2 tablespoons.
Parmesan Cheese, Provolone.
There are many Combinations !!!Don't make it too wet.

Wet the edges of the round and fold it over the filling.
Like a large Ravioli.
Press the edges down , to seal.
Let it rise a few minutes and into the oven and pinch the top with a fork ( Important )
Baste the top with EVOO. Bake at 325 Deg, Until Golden Tan.

Dough recipe:
1 cup of warm water (not hot)
1 Package of Active Dry Yeast 1 tablesps sugar ,in a half cup of warm water
1/4 Cup of Veg. Oil
1 teasp.Salt
About 3 1/2 cups Flour
cup of Whole wheat flour or up to 1 cup

Place in a mixing bowl, the Water, 1 cup of flour, wheat flour , yeast if risen
Add the oil and salt and more flour.
Add enough flour to make a soft ball of dough, that doesn't stick to your hands.
Knead until smooth. Put it back in the bowl , Smooth side up and Rub on some Veg. Oil
Cover and set in a warm place to rise until it doubles in bulk.
I put it in a warm oven, Covered with a damp towel. It rises in about 1 hour.

For Pizza:
When doubled, punch it down and knead it well.
Divide into Balls , about 11 to 12 ounces and place in oiled pans. 12" round
Dough should be about 3/16 " thick on the bottom and about " around the edge.
For Sicilian Pizza , I used most of the dough in a 11" X 16" pan

Good luck, Lou

o

I call what Annie had calzone..."little shoes"...
Whatever it's all "stuff in bread dough" like bierocks and runza or empanadas, stromboli or pastys.
I have wrapped lots of stuff in bread dough. Things like the afore mentioned peanut butter and jelly and baloney and hot dog slices for picky little kids....as well as cooked ground meat, onions, peppers, cabbage, spinach and mushrooms, pepperoni, cheeses of all sorts ( but not American slices!) even blue cheese.
But I have never put broccoli in a stromboli nor a calzone, nor on a pizza! LOL!
I like broccoli well enough I guess, if it has cheese sauce or lots of lemon or hollendaise sauce, but it just seems wrong in stromboli....not sure why because I like cabbage well enough in a runza or bierock...
But I think that if I cut into a garlic-ey cheesy spicy stromboli and found broccoli....I would feel like my mother was trying to trick me into eating m,y veggies!! LOL!

I may have to make me a little one for dinner...I have some pepperoni and some Graziano's sausage, onions, peppers tomatoes and some cheese, no provolone, but I'll bet I could make do with Jarlesburg and some Parmeganio Reggiano..
But no broccoli!! LOL!
I guess I'll have to eat my veggies raw on the side with a little dip!
Linda C

o

"Calzone" doesn't have anything to do with shoes. It means "trouser leg."

And I don't see what's so outlandish about broccoli in some kind of crust. It seems perfectly fine to me. But I was raised not to make fun of other people's preferences in food. If I don't like it, I don't eat it. I don't ridicule what others choose to eat.

o

Linda, I don't put broccoli in the thing along with the cheesy/spicy stuff, I put it in INSTEAD of the cheesy/spicy stuff, LOL. Remember, I'm the non pizza eater, and although I'll eat crust with slices of fresh tomatoes, I don't much care for red sauce either. I'd prefer my dough wrapped around some chicken, some broccoli, some onions and garlic, and maybe a bit of cheese or white sauce.

Anyway, I'm finally home and here are the pictures. Here is the "in progress" picture. You don't need one of those plastic tart makers, BTW, I just used it because I had it:

Photobucket

here is the finished product, all baked and ready to eat:

Photobucket

Voila, homemade hot pockets, or pizza rolls, or calzone or whatever you want to call them. Easy, yummy, portable, and with your choice of fillings!

Now we're discussing fillings, sliced beef with cheese, onions and peppers makes a pretty good "Philly" too.

Annie

o

I made pizza bites from Tastefully Done (see link) with Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough, calabrese salami and mozarella. I really liked dipping these into the sauce, rather than having it incorporated. Somehow, it tasted much better!

I also used this tomato sauce recipe
(http://www.howtodothings.com/food-drink/how-to-make-simple-fast-tomato-sauce ) for a dipping sauce. I actually licked the dish...the sauce was so good!

Here is a link that might be useful: pizza bites by Tastefully Done

o

Annie :
I told this story before.
While building my home on weekends, we ate at our Local
Bar restaurant.
Had Calzones most every time. I got tired of Sausage and asked if he could make a Philly Cheesteak Calzone.
It wasn't on the menu , so he asked, HOW ?

They made Cheese Steaks there too.lol! Original Philly, in pieces, not Chopped .
I told him , the same way you make the CheeseSteak but
put it in the Calzone.

It was Great!!! Now he didn't know what to charge, because it wasn't on the Menu.
I think my answer was " did anyone ever smack you, with a
Calzone "
Next time we came up , it was on the Menu.
LOU

o

I've never been a big fan of Calzone but I use to make them for Matthew when he was young. We preferred the more traditional fillings. Cheese, Mushrooms, sausage or pepperoni.

I much prefer Calzone Fritto. They are fried rather than baked.

o

LOU!!! That looks sooooooooooooooo good!!!!!

o

Ann, I've never tried frying them, somehow I'm sure I'd love them that way.

Kind of like I love elephant ears and Indian fry bread. Love 'em but I don't eat them very often, but you reminded me that I promised Makayla we'd make elephant ears soon.

Annie

o

There is no traditional Stromboli or Calzone. Use your imagination.
Brocolli and other Vegetables are used , including fish.

Remember, Tiella of Italy. That's sort of a Calzone made in a Pie Shape.

I'll Post that later, for those who haven't seen it.
- - - - - - - -
Here is a Blog I saved. ( Brocolli )
The Photo's didn't come in with the Blog.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Cooking in Cleveland . Ohio Mom
"A thriving household depends on the use of seasonal produce and the application of common sense." ~ Olivier de Serres
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Stromboli
After making the Calzone, wanted to try my hand at Stromboli.
I made Lou's pizza dough, divided it in three pieces.
Just rolled them out thin, about 8X14 inches and
spread fillings over top.
Roll them up and cut slits in the top and brushed with an egg wash.
Fillings of broccoli and mozzarella, pepperoni and
roasted red peppers, onions and mozzarella.
The food critic and DS were very happy with the results.

Place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven 20-25 minutes.
Posted by OhioMom 2 comments
Labels: Bread
Calzone
...."I get by with a little help from my friends"

I made a batch of Lou's pizza dough yesterday, wanted to make Calzone.
I have never made them so I contacted my friend Lucy for help.
Thanks Lucy for all your hints and tips !
A Calzone is an Italian turnover, made with pizza dough and filled with cheese, vegetables or meat.

Lou's Pizza Dough

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. Active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 cup warm water

Mix yeast with 1/2 cup warm water and sugar, let proof.

Add oil and 1 cup of water to yeast mixture, stir.
Combine flours and salt, add to yeast mixture.
Knead on dough hook for 5 minutes, or by hand for 10.

Cover and set in warm place till dough doubles in bulk.
Punch down, divide into quarters for Calzone.

Filling:

Large bunch of broccoli, chopped up
1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Feta cheese

Cook broccoli in boiling water for about five minutes. Combine cheeses in a bowl.

Take one quarter piece of dough and pat out into a circle, mound filling in center.

Fold dough over and seal edges well. I used an egg wash on top of mine.

Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet, or a baking stone if you have one.
Calzone fresh from the oven, oozing with melted cheese.

Posted by OhioMom 2 comments
Labels: Calzone
Older Posts
Subscribe to: Posts (Atom)
Welcome
Welcome to homecooking with seasonal, locally grown produce. My recipes are simple

o

Is every thread going to be a pissing contest from now on cause it is really ruining the forum.

Peace out...

o

Huh? Did I miss something? I actually enjoy all the pictures and information. The only complaint I have is that all the pictures make me very hungry! LOL

o

Annie, I was wondering last night, when you make the calzones, is there a second rise? (After you roll them out as flat as you can?). Does regular bread dough work, or is the recipe different? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I've never made pizza dough, and, as you may know, am severely bread-challenged.

o

Jessica, I don't think there is such a thing as a stupid question, just ask away.

I use regular bread dough, my daughter Ashley just uses the frozen stuff from the store, those little frozen unbaked dinner rolls.

I don't let them rise a second time, I just make up a baking sheet full of them and pop them right into the oven.

I've never tried them with pizza dough because my plain old bread dough works so well, and they are so easy and freeze well so I can make a bunch of them and the girls just thaw them out as they want them.

Annie

o

The second rise is my nemesis-- or, rather, getting stuff into the oven without it deflating after the second rise is my nemesis. This sounds like something I might be able to manage!! I am happy to know this trick. Thank you :-)

o

jessica:
There is a lot of info in this post.
Pizza dough is what the Pizzeria's use.

I think Annie's Bread Dough is just about the same.
Lou

o

Jessica, you're welcome. And even if they don't rise well, or fall a little, they're still good, they don't have to be light and puffy!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here