Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries -- pints, pounds, = confused!

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 8:55

So Kroger has 1 pint of blueberries for 1.38 and 2lbs for 3.88. If a pint is 16 oz -- doesn't that mean that 2 pints is a better deal? Or is that only 16 FLUID oz?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries -- pints, pounds, = confused!

That's just for fluids. Looking at some blueberry recipes, it seems that a cup is about 5 oz. So 2lb is roughly 6.4 cups or 3.2 pints. $3.88/3.2 = $1.21/pint. So 2lb is cheaper, but not by much. Assuming my weight conversion is accurate.

Check my math. Haven't had coffee yet ;-)

o

Larger BBs are lighter weight per pint-not by much- than the smaller berries in my at home tests. Best to buy by weight-if large purchase. Most of the commercial varieties are in a rather narrow size range. Little Giant is separated as its tiny sized berry is directed to the muffin market. BTW, commercial growers SHAKE the bushes for the crop. A pertinent question may be how long the berries have been in storage. Blues are probably the longest 'storable' berry of all.

Many home growers and pick your own folks have wider ranging sizes and flavors available and usually sell by weight. My berries range from small (Friendship-a WI wild variety,) to giant 5 amd 25 cent sizes. ALL taste great fresh or in a Blueberry Buckle with almond streusel. Enjoy this all American fruit!!

o

I confess I'm older.....so things may have changed. But I remember the rhyme we learned in school decades ago: "A pint's a pound the world around." So, I've always thought a pint weighed 1 lb. That's not correct?

However it works out, I always buy the largest container of blueberries because we eat so many of them every day -- fresh, in everything. Locally, Costco has the best price on blueberries, and the most plentiful supply.

o

Nope that's just for fluids that have the same mass as water. Think of a pint of cotton balls, not a pound, right?

o

I love metric..........

o

I don't know Sharon, a liter of cotton balls doesn't weigh a kilo, but a liter of water does! Sure it's an easier system, but the real difference is when people are smart enough to measure things by weight rather than volume when appropriate.

How are recipes typically written in Canada? Do you guys have to argue about how much a cup of flour is or do they call for it by weight?

o

But FOAS cotton balls would never be measured in litres and no one would ever weigh water in kilos. That's why I love metric. Volume and weight don't use the same nomenclature.

In recent times recipes are generally written with both measurements. Today I was making a brine for pork and the recipe says.... 42 grams (8 tsps)

As for arguing about how much a cup of flour is....FOAS , Canadians don't argue....that would be rude ; )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here