Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone made canned dog food?

Posted by cookie8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 8:45

I mean, it still is a cooking question, right?
I wanted to make it totally balanced for her. She will still be getting 1 1/2 cups of dry (grain free) a day but wanted to add a few tablespoons of wet to add.
I was hoping to make it high in nutrition. Here is what I have:
- beef liver, beef broth, canned sardines, gelatin, apple cider vinegar, sweet potato. I am going to cook, puree, jar and freeze in small servings. Every vegetable I look up I can usually find a "not good for dogs" somewhere so I may just keep it low in the veggie department. I also wanted to add fat but not sure what - coconut oil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone made canned dog food?

I make my own dog food...that would be a very long post.
(i have it all written out somewhere)

What you want is a healthy 'topper' it is called.
Your list is not a bad starting point. Each batch does not have to be the same. So you could tweak it as you go along. Age, health...allergies?, over/under weight? is usually considered when making a supplement. Much better than any vitamin pill out there.
I do use a veggie mix i add to the offals. It is juiced so the cell walls are broken down and i add the bulk fiber from the veg...
Lots of veg and grains are fine. Chicken skin, hearts and liver...eggs with the shells.

Freeze in pint containers and as it thaws you can add over 4-5 days. Just easier.

I feed a raw diet and have for years now....a bit different than a topper.

Often suggested to not feed wet/raw with kibble because it digests so differently...much faster...but i've never heard or noticed any problem with a topper. When i first made a topper years ago i just gave it as a late night snack.

Coconut oil is fine. I would suggest an egg. Add it whole to the end of your cooking if raw creeps you...smash it into the mix...and add some parsley. If fresh, just chop it really well, stems and all.
Or a tbsp to your mix if dried. Since you want to cook the mix, just don't cook it to death. Harder to digest.
It is a good thing to do. Clears up any issues in the ears, eyes, and skin.

Never added gelatin but mine get a sunday treat...a chicken paw(foot), and a marrow bone.

o

Thanks. Had no idea what a topper was. I was thinking of adding eggshells but will probably do the whole egg. She is a little heavy but not quite overweight ((yet) - as she is highly active)) as we have been feeding her double of what is needed - an oversight in reading the recommended food allowance. I will top with some fresh parsley. Since her food will be chopped in half, I want to compensate by having something really good, lol.
I wish I could get her to gnaw on a marrow bone but the isn't a chewer.

o

Cookie, do a Google on homemade dog food and also talk to your vet before you proceed. If you pooch has any health issues the recipe may change.

One of my skyes had lupus, so she was placed on a grain free diet of fish and potatoes. I no longer have the recipe but I recall that sunflower oil was used as the fat supplement, along with niacin-amide (not niacin), and a doggie vitamin. Her sores quickly went away.

Here is a site that may help you as it lists the good and bad foods for dogs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog food recipes

o

I asked food science expert, Karen Blakeslee, from Kansas State University (Rapid Response Center) about canning dog food and she didn't have a tested recipe, and didn't know of one. If you make up your own recipe, you are taking food safety risks with potential deadly bacteria developing into a toxin because you can't be sure of the proper canning time. The density of the food product may alter from batch-to-batch depending on ingredients used. She advised against canning it, but suggested freezing it instead. And YES, if you Google home canned dog food, you will find recipes, just consider them untested AND unsafe.

-Grainlady

o

Cookie8 was asking about making a supplement to 'freeze'. Similar to what one purchases from a commercially produced 'can'.
A homemade version that is of superior ingredients, not full of by-products and scrap fillers.

I've been offered many home 'canned' meats in ball jars considered a prized delicacy but declined the gifts for the obvious reasons you mentioned.

o

Every year we get a couple of deer and this year processed them ourselves (so the meat was truly free). I pressure canned 20 quarts of chunks of meat for my dogs since we were running out of freezer space.

I only make treats from it with carrots, eggs, EVOO and kelp meal - oh and enough flour for rolling out. But it really tasted good and I think I will be giving more of it to the dogs to supplement their Purina One.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here