Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your Favorite Sangria recipe....

Posted by bizzo (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 8:13

OK, the wha'cha'drinkin' thread got me thinkin'. Teresa mentioned Sangria, and I think I'll make some this weekend... but I need to get ingredients today.

There are so many different variations... what do you like in your Sangria? Do you have a favorite recipe? Please share! Red... White... whatever!!

tia!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your Favorite Sangria recipe....

I have been making this Sangria for 30 years. I've tried others including white, but this Sangria is by far my favourite.

Although you don't have to use an expensive wine to make Sangria, you do want to use a full bodied red that you would actually drink on its own. A decent wine does make a better Sangria.

Spanish Sangria
===============
Source: Barbara Hansen's Mexican Cookery (1981)

1 bottle, dry full bodied red wine
2 tablespoon orange liqueur (Grand Marnier or Triple Sec)
1/3 cup of simple syrup
1 lime thinly sliced
1 orange thinly sliced
1 lemon thinly sliced
Juice of one orange
1 cup club soda

Combined wine, syrup, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec and orange juice and stir. Add sliced fruit and just before serving add the soda water.

Do not let the fruit slices sit in the Sangria for more than one hour before serving as the peels can cause the drink to be bitter.

Simple Syrup

1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Bring water and sugar to a boil and simmer until liquid is clear and the sugar has dissolved. Pour in to jar and refrigerate. Keep for 3 weeks.

o

Here is a recipe we have been making for many years. I have it posted over in the beverage forum. Our local vegetable stand has it posted on the wall next to the cash register. That's where we get our fruit for it.
Wayne's Sangria

1 ripe nectarine-pitted and sliced
1 ripe apricot-pitted and sliced
5 strawberries-sliced
1 orange-slice to 1/8" thick
1/4 cup orange liquor-Grand Marnier,Cointreau,or Triple Sec
2 TBSP sugar
1 bottle red wine-a Spanish Rioja or French Bordeaux is nice
2 cups orange juice

Place all ingredients into a large pitcher. Place in fridge for at least an hour, longer would be better. When the fruit has given up its' essence pour Sangria into glasses. My mom likes it over ice. I like it straight up. I also like the strawberries in my glass. They taste great. Enjoy! NancyLouise

o

Here is one I have been using for past foor or five years
I do not recall where it came from so I can not give credit where due.

Prosecco Sangria
Makes about 2 quarts

In a pitcher, combine 1 peach, 1 nectarine, and 3 apricots, all pitted and cut into wedges. Stir in 5 ounces peach brandy; let sit at least 1 hour. Stir in 1 750-ml bottle chilled Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine) and 1 cup peach nectar. Add superfine sugar, if desired. Serve chilled.

o

Yummmm.....these all sound good!

Here is the first recipe I ever made and it's still my favorite:

Sangria

1 orange, plus more orange juice
4-6 TB sugar
1 bottle good dry red wine (4/5 qt.)
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 c. ice cubes (approximately)
1 lemon thinly sliced

Peel the washed orange in one long spiral, cut the peel into short pieces and drop into a clear, glass pitcher. Add the sugar and mix well with a wood spoon. (I sort of pound the orange peel into the sugar to release the orange oils.) Squeeze the orange into a measuring cup and add extra orange juice to make 2 cups. Pour the wine and the juices over the sugar and orange peel. Stir well to dissolve sugar and mix all. Add the ice cubes and chill several hours. Drop the lemon slices into the pitcher just before serving.

Makes 1 1/2 quarts.

Teresa

o

These all sound great!

last night DH and I went to a local vineyard for a wine tasting, and they had a "sangria" made with their unoaked chardonnay, ginger ale and lemons. It tasted more like hard lemonade than like "sangria"... it was dissapointing...

I think today I'll pick up some oranges, (and other fruit that looks good at the farm market), and make some red sangria with grand marnier for sipping late this afternoon.

Thanks Everyone! (and thanks to you who sent me the email through CFmail! you know who you are!)

o

I had made Ann Ts recipe several times and really enjoyed it. Yesterday I took a little shortcut and used 7-up in place of the club soda and simple syrup. Voila, saved a little time and it was even tastier with the added citrusy flavor.

I think the best bet is many versions and your own taste test :-)

Alexa

o

When my quilting group was in the mountains in May, I made a spur-of-the-moment sangria with red wine, orange juice, and 7-up that was quite good over ice cubes. If a lemon had been available, I would have sliced that and added a slice to each glass.

Teresa

o

I made two big pitchers of Sands' recipe on Saturday to quench everyone's thirst after the first day of cleanup after the twister that hit us on Friday.

Sangria Blanca

3 1/2 C dry white wine, chilled (1 bottle)
I like a pinot grigio
1/2 C Triple Sec
1/4 C sugar
ice cubes
1 10 oz. bottle club soda, chilled
1 orange, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
2 limes, cut into wedges

Combine wine, Triple Sec and sugar until well
blended in a glass pitcher. When ready to
serve, stir in ice and club soda. Add fruit
and serve.

Sands' note:I like to throw in nectarines and white peaches instead of oranges they have great flavor and they look beautiful.
Posted 6/07 by Sands99

Linda

o

I made Ann-T's recipe as I had all ingredients on hand including simple syrup. I added nectarine slices and a handful fo green grapes. It wasn't sweet enough for DH (I told him he could add more simple syrup, but I think he needs a 7-up recpe!) but I thought it was PERFECT. More for me :-)

I had a couple if glasses yesterday. More in the fridge if anyone would like to join me!

Photobucket

o

I've made this a couple of times for gatherings and it's always been a big hit:

PEACH SANGRIA

1 (750 ml) bottle dry white wine
3/4 cup peach schnapps
1/8 cup white sugar
1 lb. fresh peaches, pitted and sliced into thick wedges

Slice the peaches into very thick wedges (do not cut into thin slices as they will fall apart).
Place peaches in bowl and press the sugar into the peaches. Keyword is "press". Don't pound, juice or pulverize. Just press.
Pour the peach schnapps over the pressed fruit.
Cover and let the peach booze mixture rest AT LEAST 15 minutes. (I put in a Tupperware and walk away.)
AFTER the minimum 15 minutes, place wine and peaches/booze mixture in the sangria pitcher.
Put the pitcher the refrigerator to LET THE DRINK SIT at least half a day.
Yield: A SMASHING Pitcher of Peach Sangria.

o

Bizzo, I'll be happy to join you. If your husband likes it sweeter, it is easy to add a teaspoon or two of syrup to his glass only. But I'm sure the 7Up will work. A few years back, Shaun posted the idea of using 7Up in Sangria.

I haven't tried it but I also know someone that uses orange soda pop in Sangria.

Ann

o

Just wanted to share that I made the Sangria Blanca that doucanoe posted for a gathering of my girlfriend's this past weekend. EVERYONE wanted the recipe, and I just got another phone call requesting it. We had started the evening at a local restaurant patio, and had ordered the white sangria there. When I served mine, it was the hands down favorite. Thanks to all of you for sharing great recipes!

o

My absolute favorite is based very closely on a recipe from LucyL here on the cooking forum years ago. I only modified it a tiny bit, mostly by using peach brandy.

This recipe has made us VERY popular. :-) We served it a few years ago at our 25th anniversary, and we're serving it again (the only drink besides beer and wine) at Thing One's upcoming rehearsal dinner. It's always a huge hit. It is so refreshing on a hot summer day, and it packs a bigger wallop than you'd guess. I get a lot of requests for the recipe, and I've even had people even ask if I will make some so they can come over for a glass. Yes, really -- it's that wonderful.

We don't drink OJ, so I keep 1-cup bags of both the OJ and pineapple juice in the freezer and plunk it right into the pitcher frozen; helps the chilling and makes it really convenient.

Sometimes I eat some of the leftover macerated fruit for breakfast, and it's delishush, and I shcarshly feel (hic!) it at all.

White Peach Sangria
1 bottle white wine (any kind)
3 ounces peach brandy
2 ounces triple sec
1 cup orange juice
1 cup pineapple juice
2 ounces simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water brought to a boil for 2 minutes in a small saucepan) and cooled.
1 peach, cut up & pureed in blender w/the simple syrup
Fresh sliced or chopped peach, orange, and apple - one each per pitcher -- no need to peel peach or apple

Place all ingredients in a pitcher and stir to mix.

Refrigerate at least 8 hours or up to 48 hours. Serve over LOTS of ice.

o

Vera123, isn't that a good recipe? Thank you, Sands if you are lurking.....

gellchom, I have made that white peach sangria recipe a few times and I also sub peach schnapps for the pureed peach. It is delicious!

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here