SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

crazy jam idea - can I do this?

caliloo
13 years ago

I know substituting usually isn;t recommended because of the possibility of the change in pH BUT.... Since the Brown Sugar Peach Rum has a note at the bottom that you can sub an equal amount of Mango and use lime instead of lemon juice, I was wondering if I could sub Mango & Lime for the peaches/lemon juice in the Peach Melba Jam? Craziness for sure, but Mango Raspberry sounds really tasty (to me). I have included the recipes below..... Annie, Carol I would love your thoughts on this!!!!

Thanks in advance!

Peach Jam With Brown Sugar and Rum

Makes 6 half pints

6 cups frozen peach slices, thawed (I used fresh)

2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar

6 tablespoons strained fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)

3/4 cup dark rum, preferably Jamaican (divided)

2 cups granulated sugar

Wash 6 half-pint jars and keep hot until needed. Prepare the lids as manufacturer directs. Combine the peaches with the brown sugar, lemon juice and about half of the rum in a large pot and stir the mixture well. Stir well, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Pour the fruit mixture into large, heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer until the fruit chunks start turning translucent, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring several times. If the jam becomes too thick before the fruit clarifies, add 2 or 3 tablespoons water.

Add the granulated sugar and cook the jam rapidly over medium-high heat, stirring almost constantly, until a spoonful placed on a chilled saucer and refrigerated for a few moments wrinkles instead of running when the saucer is tilted sharply. (Remove the pot from the heat while testing.) Stir in the remaining rum and cook the jam for 2 minutes, stirring.

Ladle the boiling-hot jam into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe the rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach the lid. Fill and close the remaining jars. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.

-- Adapted from "Fancy Pantry" by Helen Witty (Sharon Maasdam)

*Note: For Mango Jam use 6 cups peeled, chopped firm-ripe mangos and 6 tablespoons strained fresh lime juice in lieu of the lemon

Peach Melba Jam

2 cups crushed peaches (about 1-1/2 lbs.)

1/4 cup lemon juice

3 cups red raspberries

7 cups sugar

1 box liquid Certo brand pectin (2 foil pouches)

Few drops almond extract

To the peeled, pitted, and crushed peaches add 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Let stand while preparing raspberries. Crush berries and add remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice.

Combine peaches and raspberries with sugar in heavy kettle, mix well, and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add pectin and boil hard 1 minute.

Stir and skim for several minutes to prevent fruit floating. Add extract.

Pour into prepared jars; seal with two-piece lids and process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Makes 8 or 9 half pints.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES