Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Chicken For Frying

Posted by suntower (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 3:37

Hi,

This may seem like a moron question, but... I'm 50ish and haven't done fried chicken since Crisco was all the rage.

But lately I've been trying to get back to it and it's always coming out crappy and the problem seems to be the -chicken-.

All the pieces seem to have tendons that are just tough and chewy... like tendons everywhere.

It drives me nuts because you go to any KFC and all the pieces are -great-.

Am I doing something wrong? I keep trying different brands and they all cook the same---TOUGH.

What's the secret?

TIA,

---JC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Chicken For Frying

Maybe it is time to learn to brine? Brining chicken, pork chops, turkey, and other meats can really help the meat to be tender and juicy. I brine chicken pieces in buttermilk with a few shots of a hot pepper sauce, Texas Pete, Tobasco, Frank's or similar sauces. You just pour buttermilk in a big bowl, shake in some hot sauce, give it a stir, then put in your pieces of washed and patted dry chicken. Set the bowl in the fridge for several hours or overnight.

When you are ready to fry your chicken, remove each piece and shake off the excess buttermilk. Put into your dredge of choice (seasoned flour, cornflake crumbs, breadcrumbs, etc.) and let the dredged chicken sit on a wire rack for a while to allow the dredge to dry off some and better stick to the chicken. Then fry (or oven bake) until juices run clear and chicken in "golden brown and delicious."

I've included a link that is a recipe for what I have described above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buttermilk Fried Chicken at Simply Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here