Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cobbler - why peel the peaches?

Posted by quandary (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 0:37

While fresh peaches are in season, I've been freezing peach filling to make cobblers and pies next winter. The worst part of the job is peeling the peaches. Sometimes I dunk the peaches in boiling water, then cold with mixed success in the peels "slipping right off". Even when it works, it's a hassle, takes extra pans and the peaches are still drippy to work with. Tonight I wanted cobbler but was too lazy to peel the peaches, so I just washed them thoroughly, cut them into chunks and made the cobbler in a fraction of the time. It was delicious! Nobody could tell that the peaches hadn't been peeled. The cobbler had more red color, but other than that, I couldn't tell the difference.

I've always peeled peaches for pies and cobblers. I've never seen a recipe that didn't call for it. Unless someone gives me a compelling reason to peel peaches, I may never do it again.

If peach peels become toxic at 425 degrees, I may not live to see your response!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cobbler - why peel the peaches?

The only reason I can think of not to peel peaches is if you were feeding the cobbler to me. I hate peach skin. And would not like biting into peach skin in a cobbler.

Other than that, I can't think of another reason.

Ann

o

Oh, Ann, maybe other people can detect the peel, too. That must be why the recipes always call for peeling. I honestly couldn't tell. There didn't seem to be any texture to the peel after baking.

At any rate, I promise to peel the peaches if you're coming for dessert!

o

I don't peel the skin for myself. I don't peel apples for apple pie for myself.

I peel the skin off if I serve other people.

I know of at least one friend who is alergic to peach skin.

dcarch

o

I also don't like getting any peach skin in my mouth....
AND peaches and apples and imported nectarines are part of the dirty dozen...the foods that retain the most pesticides.
I think it's wise to peel them.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: dirty dozen

o

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I'll continue to peel the peaches. I really love that I can come to these forums to quickly learn things I didn't know.

o

I also do not like peach skin, and I'm not terribly fond of peaches anyway, except for peach ice cream, and I definitely peel the peaches when I make that. My father had peach trees, and he did not peel the peaches, but he knew that no chemicals had been used on the trees. I have an Fuji apple tree now (it came with the house), and I will eat the apple peels occasionally, but more often I will make a pie and peel the apples. I had to buy a machine to peel, core, and slice the apples in one fell swoop last year, and soon I will have to get that machine out again. We still have a gallon of frozen apple juice from last year's crop. The juice was very good, but it was almost too sweet for me.

I'm making chocolate ice cream today, but I'll start looking for peaches in the farmers' markets. I don't really have a recipe for peach ice cream - I just make vanilla ice cream and add peaches at the end.

Lars

o

Early peaches are just starting here and I love them, but I also don't care for peach peel, so I always peel them.

Annie

o

I peel peaches because of how heavily sprayed they are with pesticides. I almost always peel apples too, for the same reason. Peaches are my favorite fruit! Of course if you don't like peach peel, there are always nectarines!!

o

If you hate peeling peaches, consider one of these. They really work on peaches, tomatoes, and kiwis, which are all notoriously hard to peel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serrated peeler

o

Hi, So would someone post their t&t for peach cobbler? thanks.

o

Here's mine, it's the old fashioned type with the "biscuit" kind of topping, not the cake batter stuff or pie crust topping. It's from my 1969 Betty Crocker cookbook:

Fresh Peach Cobbler
show image

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 cups sliced fresh peaches (6 medium)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons shortening
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
Cream, if desired
hide

Heat oven to 400�.

Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole; keep peach mixture hot in oven.

Cut shortening into flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture look like fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by 6 spoonfuls onto hot peach mixture.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with cream if desired.

Makes 6 servings

Annie

o

I never got peaches growing up because my mother says peach fuzz gives her the heebie-jeebies. I never knew what I was missing!

Annie, do you think I could make just the filling portion of this recipe and freeze it for cobblers in the winter??

Mel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here