SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

White Texas Sheet Cake

wizardnm
14 years ago

I just finished writing my little column for the newspaper. Not sure why I didn't think to post one here before this, maybe because I've been really pushed for time lately. But anyway,here ya go! Wasn't someone here asking about a white sheet cake a couple of weeks ago?

LOCAL TASTE SHEET CAKES Let me begin by saying, I didnÂt intend to write about this recipe. I have had it in my file of recipes to make Âsomeday for quite some time. Years ago I was a big fan of a chocolate sheet cake that was called, Texas Sheet Cake. It was popular at family gatherings, office parties and easy to make, seemed like everyone loved it. It would probably qualify as a Âretro recipe now. I know I havenÂt made one in years. Chocolate is still high on my list of favorite cakes but somewhere along in time I developed a taste for white cake or almost white cake, because I often would use the whole egg instead of just the whites. Anyway, the other day I ran across this recipe in my file and I decided it was time to try it. ItÂs good! I shared it with several friends and they all liked it too. I know that cupcakes are the current rage, which is why I hesitated to share this recipe, but I got to thinking about all the summer picnicÂs coming up and decided that possibly not everyone has hours to spend making cupcakes. Easy and fast has a place in my life! White Texas Sheet Cake 1 cup butter or margarine 1 cup water 2 cups all\-purpose flour 2 cups sugar 2 eggs, beaten 1/2 cup sour cream 1/2 tsp. almond extract 1 tsp. vanilla 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. baking soda Frosting: 1/2 cup butter or margarine 1/4 cup milk 4 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar 1/2 tsp. almond extract 1 cup chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts Using a large saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream, almond extract, vanilla, salt and baking soda until smooth. Pour into a greased 15"x10" baking pan. Bake at 375\*F. for 20\-22 minutes or until cake is golden brown and tests done. Cool for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, for frosting, combine butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, add powdered sugar and extract and mix well. Stir in walnuts, spread over warm cake. Cool completely. This cake can be made a day ahead and is better when you do! Pictures to go with column...
Nancy

Comments (21)