Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ann T's Stacked Enchiladas

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:25

So yummy, I just love them. In fact, I began growing tomatillos just so I could make the green sauce, tomatillos are not readily available in my small market. I often make them without meat, just using the cheese, sauce and tortillas, but I had some chicken left over that Elery had grilled.

I made some rice and beans for the side, and was happy...

Stacked green enchiladas with rice and beans photo IMG_1066.jpg

photo IMG_1068.jpg

Thanks for a great recipe, Ann!

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ann T's Stacked Enchiladas

One of my favorites! Looks yummmmy.

o

You know, Cathy, those go together so quickly, I don't know why I don't make them more often.

I make a big batch of the sauce and portion it out in individual containers and put it in the freezer, so when I make them, I just haul out a frozen jar of sauce, thaw it, assemble and bake just long enough to heat everything and melt the cheese. I can have dinner on the table in about 15 minutes that way.

Annie

o

It's a favorite at our house, too. DH put up our extra hoop house just for tomatillos (and I'm trying a couple of ground cherries). Last year they took over more than their share of my pepper greenhouse.

I froze Ann_T's sauce, and tried a can-able roasted salsa verde that had a lot of lime, but mellowed out nicely with lots of cheese. Both were really good...this year I think I will roast the tomatillos, onion and garlic for Ann's recipe, Yum.

Going to try dehydrating some tomatillos this year.

o

Annie, thanks for the reminder. Been a while since we had them. I think Matt is coming up next week so maybe I'll make them for him.

~Ann

o

Thanks Annie and AnnT. We are on the road this weekend staying in Extended Stay w/kitchenette so I am bring what I need to make these.

o

Here's a link to the recipe. I make enchiladas several times a month, and I tend to keep my bean dip on hand for a variety of recipes. We ate the last of the last batch of enchiladas yesterday. I serve the bean dip on the side with Spanish rice.

Tomatillos are readily available here all year, and I also always have chilies in my yard, although I harvested most of the pequin chilies this week. I need to make a new batch of habanero sauce, as I have a lot of habaneros that need to be harvested. I like to alternate between green chili and red chili when making enchiladas.

I prefer tamales to enchiladas, but they are a lot more work.

Lars

o

Ann_T, thanks for the recipe and Annie, thank you for posting it, I needed some inspiration for weekend meals. And thank you for the link, Lars. I bought all the ingredients today, except had to substitute poblanos for the anaheim peppers cause the only other choice was jalapenos or habaneros. Since hubby and I are hot pepper wimps, those are best avoided. :o)

This post was edited by petra on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 19:39

o

petra, I'm a hot pepper wuss myself, although Elery loves them.

This green sauce is more lime and tomatillo than hot pepper and the cheese moderates the heat nicely too.

Lars, I like to keep bean dip on hand too, but Elery finds that it makes a good snack in the evening, so before I know it, it's gone!

My habanero plants are doing well, but it's very nearly a miracle if any of them ripen before frost here.

KatieC, I'd get twice as many tomatillos if I'd actually cover them or put them in a hoop house, my season is just barely long enough for the husks to fill.....

Cathy, I always cooked when I travelled, although I don't travel nearly as much as you do. I can only eat out just so much, then I need to cook something, even if it's just eggs.

Annie

o

Oh my goodness, what a sauce!! Absolutely delicious, and not hot in the least. I roasted everything before I noticed it doesn't have to be, but it still turned out wonderful. Hubby loves cilantro and he is particularly happy that the sauce contains quite a bit. I doubled the recipe since several people wrote they freeze it. With the way this tastes, I should have quadrupled it. :o)

o

petra, I'm happy you liked it, another thanks to Ann T for a great recipe.

Now you see why I freeze the stuff, for times when I just can't my hands on tomatillos...

Annie

o

Yes, thanks again to Ann T, and to you for posting about the recipe. :o) I decided to make the recipe into sort of an enchilada casserole last night, used a 9 x 13 dish and just layered everything as described in the recipe. We each ate a slice before I stuck it in the fridge, oh so good! When we get back tonight, we'll have more of it plus beans and rice, am looking forward to it already. :o)

o

Just made these tonight. It was a hit.

The sauce is amazing - I'm not sure what I was expecting, but we all really, really liked the sauce.

My SIL and the grandkids thought there were too many onions - so next time I'll make a pico de gallo and use that in place of the onions between the tortillas.

No cilantro, though - we have the "soap" gene.

Thanks, Ann.

o

I don't make Enchiladas often. There are a few Spanish restaurants not far from me.

Yours look delicioso, great pictures too.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here