Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FYI - used yellow squash in jap chae...

Posted by adnama (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:09

...and it worked really well!

It's that time of year when there are squash and zucchini everywhere. Thought y'all would appreciate another recipe to use it up. I julienned my squash and prepared them the same way the carrots are prepared in the recipe. I think almost any vegetable would go into this dish well.

Jap Chae is a yummy, filling Korean stir-fried noodle dish, flavored basically with just onion, soy sauce and sugar.

The sweet potato starch noodles, aka glass noodles, can sometimes be found on the "Asian/International Aisle" of chain grocery stores, if you don't have a market that specializes nearby. Everything else is readily available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jap Chae Recipe and Video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FYI - used yellow squash in jap chae...

Good thought!

You might also want to try pickling them lightly with some rice vinegar. One of our fav Korean fusion restaurants puts pickled young ginger or pickled radishes (depending on the season) into the bebimbop (rice bowls) but it would work for Jap Chae as well.

Don't let the squash sit in the rice vinegar; just a quick dip for a minute or two, and out again.

o
RE: FYI - used yellow squash in jap chae...

Thanks, Amanda, I've kept that link. I'm always looking for something quick that uses lots of vegetables. No getting sweet potato noodles anywhere within 50 miles of here, of course, but it's on my list for the next trip to the Asian market!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here