Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hope the baking experts can help...

Posted by lizbeth-gardener (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 22:56

I am in the midst of baking a cake for a community dinner tomorrow and just discovered a discrepancy in the recipe. I am baking a carrot cake that came from the recipe exchange forum (lindac's recipe-post is titled Looking for:T&T Carrot Cake) and got to the part where it says to add the baking powder, but the recipe calls for baking soda. Can anyone pull this up and tell me which sounds right? At times like this it would be great to understand the purpose of the ingredients and how they interact with each other!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hope the baking experts can help...

Pretty sure the baking "powder" is a misprint as one of the other ingredients is buttermilk. Acid ingredients such as buttermilk activate the baking soda.
Baking powder does not require an acid.
In addition, my carrot cake recipe which is similar has baking soda.

o

Colleen is right. The recipe is here on this link and further down the page Linda confirms that it is baking Soda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda's Carrot Cake

o

Colleenoz and Ann t.--thank you both for that info. I went ahead with the soda after finding a very similar recipe. Colleen I wondered about the buttermilk/soda thing, but wasn't sure how it worked-thanks for enlightening me! Cake is out of the oven and looks and smells delicious!

Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here