Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The geoduck are here!

Posted by olychick (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 22:19

I thought maybe some of you would enjoy this that just arrived from my local fish market...I might have to make this seviche.

Here is a link that might be useful: it's geoduck season

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The geoduck are here!

Geoduck is about $40.00 a lb here in NY.

dcarch

o

And, since the best way to start the day is to see a picture of a college student dressed up as a giant mollusc, at the link is the Evergreen State College mascot, the Geoduck, along with the inspiring fight song.

Here is a link that might be useful: geoduck fight song

o

What do they taste like? What is the texture?

o

Those kind of gross me out. On the water in front of my house we hae lots of "horse clams." Are they edible?

o

I'm curious too. They look. . . well, vile, to be honest. But I hear so much about them; I'm intrigued.

o

I've never had them or seen them here either. They're pretty ugly, but it sure wouldn't stop me from trying them!

How IS the texture?

Annie

o

They are large clams so have that flavor, but are mild. I've never cooked one at home but order them whenever I can in a restaurant. If the body is prepared correctly, it is very tender and delicious...hmmm...not unlike calamari. And like calamari it can be like eating a rubber hose if not handled correctly.

Apparently the neck is favored for Sushi and is a bit crunchy when eaten raw. I've not had it though.

Lots of people who harvest from their own or public beaches here grind them for fritters or chowder.

Jab65 where do you live? If the beach is free from contamination (meaning you get other seafood from it or otherwise know it is safe) then horse clams are edible. Here is a link I found about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horse clams as food

o

"Hey, is that a geoduck in your pocket or are you just happy sashimi?"

Got that from the link. Really.

o

I forget what show it was on, but it showed him ripping the clam shells from the body (ouch, poor thing!!) and peeling the skin off. He then sliced the meat very thinly for sushi. He said it's prized meat for sushi. Aside from the obvious manlike appearance, I felt so sorry for it, since it was still alive when all this was going on.

o

Jasdip, I hate that, too. I feel the same about live lobsters. I just cannot do it...that sound they make :-(

o

Thanks for the info about the horse clams. I'm on the West side of Gig Harbor, extension of Carr Inlet. We've enjoyed manilla clams that are easy to dig. I don't know what it would take to get those horse clams out. They're big, with the large "collars" around them.

o

"Hey, is that a geoduck in your pocket or are you just happy sashimi?"
Jessy, that's HILARIOUS!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here