SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

Getting reacquainted with the halogen oven

vacuumfreak
10 years ago

I have had my halogen oven for about a year now. I watched an infomercial for them and just had to have one. I know that products never work like they do on infomercials, but I'm a sucker for them. I think it's my sworn duty to buy stuff just to see if it really works like they say (I'd save a lot of time by just reminding myself it never does!)... However, it was marked at 80 dollars, which I was willing to pay, but when I got to the register, it rang up for 30. I don't know if it was a mistake or a sale, but I took it :o)

I don't use it often. It is hard to clean and the bowl is so heavy and the light is weird and it's tedious to get food out of (the 3 legged rack loses its balance easily). I'm quite sure I'd prefer a Nuwave instead (that is, if I had to have one of these, I'd be completely fine without it altogether too), and I thought this was kind of the same thing when I bought it.

Anyway, I got inspired tonight and made some bleu cheese burgers with homemade big mac sauce. It was a lot of fun, but as always, I'm dreading the clean up.

I bought a thing to help form patties since mine are always so uneven. I makes them too thick and not big enough and it's hard to get the meat out.

Ingredients for the homemade mac cause. Mine is always too yellow and not pink enough, but it tastes pretty good. Not the same as the real stuff, but at least I know what's in it :o)

I got 6 burgers from 2 pounds of meat... I always do half with provolone and half with american cheese.

The final shot. I don't know if it looks good or not, but it tasted amazing! You can see just a bit of bleu cheese poking out right in the middle of the picture. I did't put any extra veggies (like lettuce and onion, yuck!) and didn't use a sesame bun (I prefer potato buns).

I was going to do some french fries as well (one of the supposed benefits in of this thing is that it can "air fry"), but I'd already had half a glass of sangria and cut my finger on the mandoline trying to make sweet potato fries (they were simply dreadful) so I was just done at that point!

Now I gotta clean this awful contraption. Maybe I should just throw it away instead of wash it. :o) But, look at all the fat that I will not be eating since it was drained away. Take that, George Foreman! (Actually, they had Mike Tyson on the infomercial for this thing... what is it with boxers and kitchen appliances?)

I also did some chicken tenders with peanut sauce while I had the halogen oven out. They got a little over cooked (I'd had a whole glass of sangria by then!), but I could eat the peanut sauce with a spoon!

Comments (10)