SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19715097

Amrakhand

User
11 years ago

Since mangoes are in season, I decided to try an Indian dessert called Amrakhand (or Shrikhand, depending on the region) and it turned out delicious. Very few ingredients, very easy to make, and very good if you like yogurt and mangoes. And if you use 0% Greek yogurt, no fat unless you add nuts. Also no need to add lots of sugar if you use very ripe, sweet mangoes.

2 cups thick Greek plain yogurt (0% if you don't want fat)

Sugar to taste (start with 1/4 cup or less, taste as you go. I used less than 1/4 cup)

Ground cardamom (optional, but if you do use, don't use too much, maybe a pinch or 2 and taste as you go)

4 tbs chopped nuts (optional - cashews, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts. You can toast them for more flavor)

3 ripe Ataulfo mangos, 2 to blend and one for garnish

Peel and cut the 2 mangos and blend til smooth (I used my stick blender, worked very well), thoroughly combine with the yogurt, stir in sugar and (if using) cardamom. Refrigerate until very cold (at least 2 hours) and garnish with diced mango and nuts just before serving.

Comments (5)

• Islay_Corbel
    11 years ago

That sounds lovely. And, it will suit my diet ;)

• Bizzo
    11 years ago

Yum!!!
    I wonder if DH would like to try to prepare this... I would LOVE it!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does taste very good (and refreshing, makes a lovely dessert for hot days) and is quite healthy if you stick with no/low fat yogurt and don't add a lot of sugar. If you guys decide to make it, try to use Ataulfo mangoes. They are non-fibrous so you don't have to fish fiber strings out of the pureed mango. And use very ripe, flavorful mangoes, it won't work with bland, under-ripe fruit. If you can't find Greek yogurt, you can put double the amount of regular yogurt (it will decrease in volume as it drains) into a cheese-cloth lined strainer (make sure to use enough cheese-cloth so only the whey drains, not the yogurt. Also cover the yogurt with the cheese-cloth so it won't dry out), set over a bowl to drain into, and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, but up to 48. Check consistency and use when you feel it's thick enough.

• agmss15
    11 years ago

Thanks for the recipe. This is so delicious. I made this recipe and then followed up with the shrikhand w/o mangos. Both are light and delicious on hot days with pistachios and mangos for garnish. Yummy!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Thanks Petra, I'll try this, I just made a gallon of yogurt yesterday, so it's timely.

Annie

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths