Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these safe or should I toss them?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 21:33

In my frenzy of trying to prep for the lunch gathering tomorrow and goofing off hanging with neighbors at a block party... I managed to boil the eggs and forget them on the counter (covered in the boiling water) for almost 3 hours. Can I still make deviled eggs from them in the morning or should I toss them and start over?

The water was AC room temp cold by the time I discovered them.

Of course, I appreciate any advice while I sit here feeling stupid.

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these safe or should I toss them?

I have hard boiled eggs and left them to cool for a few hours. They will be fine.

o

I wouldn't give it a thought....they are fine.
But I would consider that in the total time allowed for food to be unrefrigeratered....
In other words.....don't save the leftovers....and keep the completed eggs cold!
BUT....they likely won't peel easily.....
They are eggs....boiled and heated to a safe temp and un peeled....not much chance to intorduce bacteria.

o

Thanks! I am going to peel and halve them in the morning and make the filling in a plastic freezer bag. All components will be carried up in a cooler (on ice) and I will fill a dozen at a time as needed. Easier than trying to transport 72 already assembled devlied eggs LOLOLOL!

Alexa

o

Peel them tonight....I think the peel won't slip off easily and best to discover that tonight than in the AM....

o

I wouldn't worry either especially considering how many people make eggs for Easter and leave them out for days. (I don't eat them but a lot of people do!) A few hours isn't much different than them being served at a dinner party.

o

Like the others I think they are AOK and wouldn't worry a bit. I was astounded that in France they don't refrigerate eggs or milk at the grocery stores. They are on regular shelves. Same in Italy.

Good luck today , hope all goes well!

o

Thanks everyone! And except for a couple of stubborn ones, they peeled just fine. And I did leave the filling in a freezer zip bag with the empty whites layered in a tupperware bowl (with everything well chilled) and they were fine. We put out a dozen and a time and filled them as we went and they disappeared quickly! No leftovers!

Thanks again for the help!

Alexa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here