Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe request

Posted by countrygal_905 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 21:17

I have had a request from my 3 yr old grandson for chocolate ice cream for his birthday. I recently bought a Cuisinart machine and have been using it quite a bit, but haven't made chocolate yet. Does anyone have a favorite recipe? I'd love to use a tried and true one and this is the place I was sure I would find it. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe request

Here is my favorite recipe:

Chocolate Ice Cream

Makes about 1 quart

2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
5 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
5 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add the chopped chocolate, stirring until smooth. Then stir in the remaining 1 cup cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as thoroughly as possible, and set a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.

2. Warm the milk and sugar in the same saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolk. Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

3. Stir the mixture constantly over the medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer). Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the chocolate mixture until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Stir until cool over an ice bath.

4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. (If the cold mixture is too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out.)

I usually make it with 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds or hazelnuts and then use 1 tbsp of Amaretto or Frangelico (depending on the nut) instead of the vanilla. I add the nuts close to the end of the freezing cycle. I would call this a "double chocolate" ice cream, as the chocolate is very intense. You may not want nuts for a three year old, but consider it when making it for adults. I've made this recipe many times, and it is definitely my favorite. Sometimes I substitute three whole eggs for the five egg yolks, and that works also.

Lars

o

I'm keeping this one, Lars.

I have a chocolate sorbet recipe that I really like but it has no milk and is intensely chocolate. Probably too adult.

E

o

Here is one I've enjoyed...

Chocolate Ice Cream from David Lebovitz

2 1/4 cups heavy cream
6 T cocoa powder, Dutch-process, unsweetened
1 cup granulated white sugar
dash of salt
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
8 ounces milk--regular, not low fat or no fat
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together the cream, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up).

Remove from the heat and whisk un the chocolate until it is completely melted, then whisk in the milk and vanilla.

Pour the mixture into a blender and blend for 30 seconds, until very smooth.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer instructions.

o

Thanks lars and sooz. I will probably try Lars recipe first, but will keep sooz recipe on file. I will have ample opportunities to try each one this summer. What is the difference between Dutch-process cocoa powder and Hershey's cocoa powder?

o

Yummy, I'm also saving Lars' recipe. I like the egg custard based ice creams, they don't freeze as hard and have a slightly different texture.

No matter what recipe, though, I don't think you can go wrong with chocolate.

Eileen, I'd love that sorbet recipe...

Annie

o

I will not be responsible for any consequences resulting from complying with your request for this recipe.

"Servings: Makes 1 quart (1 liter) but you can tell your husband less so he doesn't figure out how much you've kept from him. (At least until he sees the chocolate smudges on your face.)

2 1/4 cups (555 ml) water
1 cup (200 g) sugar
3/4 cup (75 g) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
6 ounces (170 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large saucepan (yes, you must use a large one or it will bubble over. Trust me.), whisk together 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) of the water with the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Bring to a boil, whisking frequently. Let it boil, continuing to whisk, for 45 seconds.

Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until it's melted, then stir in the vanilla extract and the remaining 3/4 cup (180 ml) water. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend for 15 seconds. Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. If the mixture has become too thick to pour into your machine, whisk it vigorously to thin it out."

Note: I add 2 tablespoons of Kahlua to keep it from freezing too hard. And I like the flavor.

I served it with the three ingredient ice cream recipe made with raspberries. Heaven.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smitten Kitchen Chocolate Sorbet

o

Dutch-process cocoa has been treated so that it has a neutral pH and is no longer acidic. This also smoothens the flavor and makes it more soluble. It is perhaps more critical when baking something that uses baking soda or baking powder. You can substitute regular cocoa powder and it will only have a slightly different flavor, but it will also not dissolve as easily.

Annie is right that the egg custard based ice creams have a different texture. I often add even more liqueur (up to 3-4 tbsp) to the ice cream, which makes it even softer.

Lars

o

Barnmom and Lars are right about adding liqueur to ice cream bases--the alcohol in it prevents a lot of ice crystals from forming, making for a smoother end product.

o

This may be a dumb question, but does any type of alcohol work. I don't have any of the types suggested on hand. Would rum work or should I just use vanilla? Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here