Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Farmer's Market Weekend

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 21:08

Went to the farmer's market, got some wonderful squashes and purple scallions, some extraordinary scallops and heritage pork belly.

Went to the supermarket, and got some Lamb neck bones. Lamb is expensive, but the neck bone was $1.65 a lb. A lot of meat on the bones. The flavor and texture of the neck bone meat is, IMHO, better than other lamb cuts of meat. Kind of like ox tails. I hope no one discover that. :-)

dcarch

Sous Vide Pork Belly with a Medley of squashes
Photobucket

Photobucket

Scallops, patty pan squash on black rice
Photobucket

Photobucket

Stewed Lamb Neck Bone
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Farmer's Market Weekend

How did you do the crisp fat cap on the pork belly? Flip it over and deep fry just the cap?

I think generally, the closer to the bone, the yummier the meat. When I was a kid, we used to have big bowls of chicken necks.

o

" How did you do the crisp fat cap on the pork belly? Flip it over and deep fry just the cap? ---"

That is quite a challenge to make a pork belly the way that I think it should be made. The meat should be flavorful, juicy and tender. The skin should be melt-in-your mouth crackling crispy, not tooth-breaking kind of crispy.

The key to have crispy pork rind is to puncture as many holes as possible on it. This can take a while to do, except I have developed a way to get it done in no time. (another video yet to be made)

After the skin had been perforated with a million holes, the pork was marinated in the refrigerator for three days.

Then it went in the sous vide cooker for 24 hours at 150F.

Here is another key step:

I wrapped the meat part in foil exposing only the skin. The pork went into the dehydrator set at 150F for 6 hours to dry up the skin without drying up the meat. Notice also the skin had been scored to prevent warping as it was being dried.

The pork then was chilled in the refrigerator.

After the pork had been chilled, it went into a preheated oven set at 400F for a short while. The skin just puffed up and the meat was warmed up without being overcooked.

It was not as much work as it sounds; in any case, the perfect pork belly was well worth the effort.

I am actually also making pancetta. So I have a lot of pork skin. I made another batch of fatless pork cracklins.

dcarch

Photobucket

o

Your photos look beautiful and scrumptious at the same time!

o

What Petaloid said.

o

Thank you Petaloid and agmss.

I love this time of the year. In a few minutes, I will be scouting the farmer's market again. It's just 5 minutes from my house.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here