Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'd like your suggestions on how to use pomegranate molasses! tx

Posted by bizzo (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 21:00

I have some pomegranate molasses I want to play with but I'm not sure what to do. Do you ever cook with it? What do you make? What do you like? Recipes would be great.
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'd like your suggestions on how to use pomegranate molasses!

I think the first thing I would do is spread a little on a piece of white bread and see how it tastes and what you think it might go with.

o

I use it in a sauce for chicken. It's also a key ingredient in Fesenjan, a Persian dish made with chicken and ground walnuts. It's delicious!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken with Pomegranates and Walnuts

o

I second Fesenjoon. My SIL is from Iran and gave me her recipe. It is so good. Serve with rice made the Persian way. Everyone fights over the crust.
----------����

Fesenjoon is an Iranian Chicken dish made with Walnuts, pomegranate molasses and chicken and is delicious. Mitra introduced it to me.

Ingredients:

- Chicken pieces from 1 chicken
- Ground walnuts, 1 pound
- 3-4 onions
- Pomegranate molasses in the bottle... 3/4 of the bottle aprox 6 fl oz
- Sugar, 2-3 spoons ...you can add more if you want it sweeter
- 1/2 cup of cooking oil
- Salt

Directions:

Slice and fry onions until slightly golden... Take chicken pieces and add with the onions until color changes. Add 3 glasses of hot water and let it boil...... Then turn heat down and let it boil slowly for about 30 minutes adding more hot water if needed. Grind walnuts in a food processor till a fine consistency looking kind of like sugar. Then add nuts, salt and pomegranate paste to chicken. You may need to add a glass of hot water if the paste is too thick. Add sugar to the sweetness wanted, making sure its not too sweet. Proper fesenjoon should be sweet but at the same time a little tart. Cook it long enough till all of the oil from the walnuts rises. You will see a layer of oil that I suggest you should scoop out later. The consistency must be thick. Serve it with some saffron flavored rice.

o

Here's another I've clipped. It was sooooo good.

Pomegranate and Walnut Stew with Chicken

Recipe By: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/514634

Ingredients:

- 250 g ground walnuts, ground very fine for the correct texture, chopped fine will have a coarser texture
- 250m l chicken stock
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 4 golden plums, (optional), stones removed ( I used pitted plums)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 whole chicken breast fillets, I cut them in half to make two thinner fillets for easier cooking
- 1/2 large onions, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 200m l fresh pomegranate juice, store bought (unsweetened), I used more molasses and just added extra water
- 3 1/2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses, Persian brand
- 1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- few drops of beetroot extract, optional), I left out

Directions:

1. Place the walnuts in a heavy saucepan over a medium heat and stir constantly for 3-4 minutes or so, until lightly toasted.

2. Lower the heat slightly, add the chicken stock, the stock cube and the plums and cook for about 15 minutes.

3. In a separate large saucepan or casserole dish, heat the oil over a medium heat and fry the chicken on all sides to seal. Add the onions, turmeric and pepper.

4. Add the walnut mixture to the chicken, reduce the heat, cover with a lid and cook for a further 10-15 minutes.

5. Stir in the pomegranate juice, pomegranate molasses, sugar, and cinnamon and cook for 20 minutes more.

6. Just before serving, add the beetroot dye. Serve with rice.

o

Ice cream, Bizzo! Put it on ice cream!

I got a bottle at Trader Joe's once, and it's a wonderful thing to use--on ICE CREAM! Okay, I'm sure it's delish in other recipes as well ! lolam

Oh, and try mixing it with Chambord black raspberry liqueur and some cream over crushed ice. I don't really drink all that much, but gosh, it was heavenly!

Smiles,
Sooz

o

We use it as a salad dressing. Mix a little (maybe a teaspoon or two?) with about 1/4 cup olive oil. Try mixing it to your taste.

It makes a tart-sweet dressing, particularly good over beet salad. I make mine by roasting beets cut into smallish dice (about 1/3" cubes). I toss these with the pom dressing. To make this fancier, I crumble a little feta on top of the beets, then top with some chopped toasted walnuts. You can layer lettuce leaves below if you like your salads to be green.

The pom salad dressing also works with tossed greens, but you may not like the dark color.

Cheryl

o

I drizzle it over fruit, especially apple and pear slices, but also oranges and mango slices. You can add it to a smoothie. If you have recipes for sweet balsamic vinegar, you can substitute it there as well. I sometimes put it in salad dressings, but only in tiny quantities to offset a sour tasting vinegar or bitter greens. Cheryl's beet salad sounds good and is similar to beet salads I've had in the past. It goes well with walnuts.

Lars

o

CF Rocks! I knew I'd get good ideas from all of you! I think I have to put Fesanjoon on the docket for this weekend. It sounds great, thank you

Sooz, that drink sounds interesting...sounds like a summer dessert (like over ice cream, with a kick). Lars, I hadn't thought to drizzle it over fruit... a summer fruit salad addition. And I'll probably try some for salad dressing this week. I hope we like it LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here