Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do lemon bars need refrigeration overnight?

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 30, 10 at 20:28

Its 8:30 pm and I just pulled lemon bars out of the oven.
They are for lunch at work tomorrow.
I have very limited fridge space and am not sure I can find room but will if I have to.
Do these need to be refrigerated? Is it best that they are? How much..degradation..will there be?

Thanks,

M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do lemon bars need refrigeration overnight?

I always do because of the eggy custardy thing....but I suppose there is enough lemon to keep them...
I think for me and my family I wouldn't bother....for the masses....probably.

o

I personally wouldn't worry about it if you can't find space in the fridge -- the eggs are cooked. Seems not that different to me than leaving a hard boiled egg out overnight.

o
And now...

That said, now you've got me craving lemon bars!

o

I don't leave hard boiled eggs out overnight!

o

I don't refrigerate lemon bars..

o

I really can't say, since a batch of them has never made it past sundown at my house.

o

Like Weed, I've never had a batch of them that needed refrigeration.

Like Terri, I don't refrigerate lemon bars. And, although I no longer leave hard boiled eggs out overnight, we used to leave them sitting on the back of the bar for a couple of days, selling them for consumption with beer.

Of course,enough alcohol and probably you don't notice the eggs...

Annie

o

The recipe I use says:

"Bar cookies keep, covered and chilled, 3 days."

And I keep hard boiled eggs refrigerated too.... Isn;t that the usual culprit when people get "food poisoning" from potato salad? The hard cooked eggs that are left unrefrigerated in the salad?

Alexa

o

I always thought it was the mayo...but it has to be mayo mixed with an ingredient...

When growing up my great grandmother used to keep miracle whip on the counter... ???

o

"Isn;t that the usual culprit when people get "food poisoning" from potato salad? The hard cooked eggs that are left unrefrigerated in the salad? "

Nope, it would be the raw egg in homemade mayo.

o
Food Poisoning Myths

MYTH: Mayonnaise is often the cause of food-borne illness.

REALITY: Mayonnaise does not cause food poisoning, bacteria do. And bacteria grow best on foods that contain protein and are at temperatures between 40-140 degrees F. Commercially prepared mayonnaise is safe to use. At greater risk for developing bacteria are the foods mayonnaise is commonly mixed with for picnics and potlucks, such as pasta, potatoes, eggs, chicken, or tuna. But even these will be safe if you keep your cooler below 40 degrees F.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Poisoning Myths

o

Alexa, the food safety experts say they should be refrigerated. Of course, they're still ticked that I eat runny eggs and raw beef too...

If I were going to keep them longer than overnight, I'd probably refrigerate them. I've never had a pan last long enough to be an issue, I only bake them when I'm taking them somewhere or I'd eat the whole pan, a couple a day, until they were gone, love the darned things.

But, the eggs ARE baked and mixed with copious amounts of an extremely acidic ingredient, lemon juice. We also keep cookies and cakes, breads, etc. that contain eggs unrefrigerated all the time. Lemon bars are slightly different because of the "custard" factor, but I am not uncomfortable leaving them sit in the breakroom unrefrigerated all morning at work anyway.

Annie

o

Appreciate all the replies - can always count on the folks here! Found room in the fridge, figured at the least maybe the crust wouldn't get soggy.
Taking the few left up to my Mom Friday so that will be 4 hours in the car but since I've kept them mostly in the fridge I think they will be fine.
And of course found the recipe here too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here