Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lodge or Tramontina: best warranty?

Posted by tammyinwv (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 20:22

I read somewhere that Lodge paid for return shipping when using warranty, and that Tramontina didnt. But then this evening I read a post somewhere that the lady had to pay return shipping on Lodge. Does anyone have any experience with the warranties? i am getting ready to order but wasnt sure between the two. I am wanting the enameled cast iron 6 qt dutch oven.
tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lodge or Tramontina: best warranty?

Tramonta is a Walmart brand.....what more can I say?....Not the best for quality, but they take returns, no questions asked.
But I can't think why you might need to worry about a warranty.....that stuff is pretty rock solid.

o

From what I have read tramontina has received very high reviews. I was just planning for the "just in case" thing. If one had problems with the enamel, I didnt want to have to pay return shipping to get replaced, if the other one would have provided free shipping label. But I do understand all too well what you mean about walmart brands.
Tammy

o

Costco carries Tramontina. I don't think WalMart makes things for Costco.

o

Tramonta is not Tramontina, I think. Are we talking about different things?

o

There is no Tramonta cookware that I could find. I think that was just a typo.

o

No, Tramontina is NOt a Walmart brand, not at all. Walmart happens to sell a lot of Tramontina, but Tramontina is not a Walmart brand. Mainstays is a walmart brand, tramontina is also sold at Costco and zillions of other retailers.

If you have a choice of Tramontina or Lodge for cast iron, be advised that each is a product of independent manufacturers. Judge them on their merits, as in the qualities each possess.

o

I have read a lot of high marks for both products. The only thing I have heard was different was the raw edges on the Tramontina. Thats why I was wondering about warranty. Lodge is a different time zone for me. They dont open this morn till 7:30 CT, and I am Eastern, so I need to wait another hour before I can contact them about it.
Tammy

o

Ok, finally got my answers from the companies involved. Tramontina stated if something occured within a few months of purchase they would pay return shipping, but later on the customer pays. Lodge just told me if there was a problem and the item needed to be returned, they pay for return shipping. Since I have read both are comparable brands other than the raw edges on Tramontina, then my deciding factor came down to best warranty.With shipping possibly being around $20, Lodge seems the best way to go.
Tammy

o

But.....Walmart has the Tramontina (scuse the previous typo!) on special just now.....and WalMart is so very good about returns.
However I think that Lodge is a higher quality product.
My Le Cruset Dutch ovens have raw un glazed edges.....provides a tighter steam proof seal. I have never had a problem.....and 2 of the ovens are more than 25 years old......and one is used very often!!
Linda C

o

I'm pretty sure my Lodge edge is also raw.

o

Yes walmart is good about returns, but what about 2 yrs from now? I was worried if I had to return a product under warranty for some kind of developing defect. Tramontina is on special at Walmart, and their online. Online so is their Lodge. I got the 6 qt Lodge online for $49.99 before tax, and free shipping. It was only about $10 higher than the other one. Thats why the warranty was my deciding point. I understand both Tramontina and Lodge have great warranties and great customer service, and ratings. But with tramontina if something doesnt show up right away, then you pay to return.
Tammy

o

I think you're over-thinking this. Instead, ask how many people have ever had to return a similar piece, and ask what was wrong with it. Chances are, you're beating yourself up over a very unlikely occurrence.

Sorta like the ads that are now running for a car company. The competitor's car has an extra long warranty, but the car advertised doesn't even need it. (And from my personal experience with several of those cars, that's true.... only normal wear-and-tear.)

o

I understand what your saying. Like buying an extended warranty on a well made product and never needing it. So i think your saying its unlikely that one would ever have to return either brand to worry about the warranty? I have been reading reviews on both products for a few days now. There are good and bad, but a very high percentage are very good. There is always a chance tho of getting a lemon, that wont show its face quickly. Not that either brand doesnt have excellent quality, but things can happen.
Tammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here