Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snappy Ginger Snaps recipe

Posted by GWlolo (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 19:58

I am looking for a crisp snapy ginger snaps that will work well with tea. My sister in law is visiting and she was reminescing about eating some with a cup of earl gray. I would like to try baking a small batch for her.

Any t&t recipes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snappy Ginger Snaps recipe

I've made these MANY times and they are wonderful. Just leave the cayenne pepper out if you don't want them "spicy".

EXTRA-SPICY GINGERSNAPS

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger, or more to taste
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
8 Tblsp. (1 stick) cool unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
1/4 cup egg whites (from about 2 eggs)

Combine the flour, baking soda, and spices in a mixing bowl and set aside. Cream the butter until smooth and fluffy in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer). Add the sugars and mix. Add the molasses and mix. Add the egg whites in 2 batches, mixing to combine after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in three batches, mixing to combine after each addition.

Heat the oven to 350° F. Spread a few Tblsp. of granulated sugar on a small plate.

Roll the dough into 3/4-inch balls; roll each ball in the sugar until lightly coated. Transfer to parchment lined cookie sheets, leaving 1-inch of space between the cookies. Bake until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on wire racks and store in an airtight container. Yield: 60 cookies.

Posted by: KarenInSeattle.

o
RE: Snappy Ginger Snaps recipe

Hi Karen, thanks for sharing our recipe. I tried this last weekend. Great taste but quite soft. Do I need to make it thinner or bake longer? Also is molasses necessary? My family scarfed it down but I did not care for the molasses taste as much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here