Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a quick dessert that travels well and goes with lasagna

Posted by goldgirl (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 19:03

DH and I are heading down to visit a friend (about two hours away) on Saturday. She told me today she's making lasagna and a salad and when I offered to bring something she suggested dessert.

For some reason, I can't seem to come up with anything simple (I have to work tomorrow so will have to make it late in the evening) and light that is easy to carry in the car.

Any suggestions? I sure could use some help. Thanks!!

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a quick dessert that travels well and goes with lasagna

The first thing that came to my mind was some kind of citrus cookies, either a lemon or orange shortbread type or even a bar cookie.

With pasta I wouldn't want anything too substantial and many desserts are messy.

Or you could make a fruit pizza, just a cookie crust baked on a cookie sheet, topped with sweetened cream cheese and various fruits in season or that you like. Melt a little jam and brush over top to glaze.

Or strawberry shortcake? It's that time of year, you know!

Annie

o

How about Canoli...make the cream put it in a zip lock bag which later you can use as a pastry bag bring shells and powder sugar seperatly...VERY EASY!!

o

Lasagna with salad is a substantial meal. A light dessert is called for, so don't feel guilty about making something simple. Something along the lines of poached fruit (e.g. pears in wine) or a good cookie with ice cream will be enjoyed.

Jim

o

I owe somebody here a big apology! I copied and saved this recipe from here but I don't know who posted it originally. Sorry! Its a yummy cake (yes I've made it) and it doesn't get much simpler :)

Pine Nut Cake (Budin de Pinones)

2 large eggs
1 can (14 oz/440 g) sweetened condensed milk (I have also used fat free with good results)
1-1/4 cups (5 oz/155 g) pine nuts
confectioners sugar (for dusting)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C/Gas 4).

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend, stopping to scrape the pine nuts off the sides of the blender as needed, until completely smooth.
Butter a round 9-inch (24-cm) cake pan, place a wax paper round on the bottom of the pan. Butter again and flour lightly.
Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmold the cake, bottom side up.
Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Great with vanilla bean ice cream or fresh whipped cream. Great with Italian meals, Spanish or Mexican meals, or anything at all.
Note: I always flip the thing over so the top side is up since it's more attractive...

o

OMG Woodie - That's so funny. I've got a Costco-size bag of pine nuts in the freezer that I've been wanting to use. You know, I've been pining for them. Ahem.

Thanks everyone!

Sue

o

With lasagna...in June...I would make a simple cookie...maybe lemon...maybe biscoti....and take a bowl fo fresh strawberries....and perhaps a carton of cream to pour over them.
Fresh strawberries and a bit of real cream....doesn't get much better!
Linda C

o

Strawberries and frozen yogurt or ice cream. It's going to be hot this weekend. Or buy some of those sponge cake cups for strawberry shortcake. Strawberries, oh yeah!

o

Lemon cookies or lemon cake with whipped cream! Cool and refreshing after lasagna.

Sherry

o

I'd keep it rich........but that's just me!
Brownies and strawberries. A little sour cream mixed with brown sugar for dipping and/or topping the brownies.

Deanna

o

Here's one from my files..

Lemon Shortbread Bars
Just the right amount of shortbread, sweet and tart.

Shortbread Base

3/4 c butter, softened

2 c flour

1/2 c brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350F. Beat butter add flour and sugar. Mix until all butter is coated with flour and sugar, but still lumpy. Press into 13x9 pan with metal spatuala. Bake in the middle of the oven about 15-20 minutes or until golden and firm.

Filling

1 1/2 c sugar

3/4 c lemon juice, fresh or Realemon

4 large eggs

1/3 c flour

powdered sugar for dusting

Prepare above Shortbread Base. While baking, prepare topping. In a bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until well combined and stir in lemon juice and flour. Pour lemon mixture over hot shortbread. Reduce oven heat to 300F. Bake in the middle of the oven until set, about 25-30 minutes. Cool completely in pan and cut into 24 bars. These will keep covered and chilled about 3 days. Sift with confectioners sugar before serving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Shortbread Bars

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here