Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compare German Chocolate and other Chocolate for baking

Posted by nancedar (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 18:37

Are these interchangeable? German Chocolate in a gluten free cake recipe to change with the same quantity of Unsweetened Chocolate squares, or, with Semi-sweet Chocolate squares?

What makes German Chocolate so different from other sweetened levels of chocolate for baking?

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compare German Chocolate and other Chocolate for baking

When I have a question like that, or need a substitution, I check out the Cook's Thesaurus (link below).

German Chocolate is a sweet chocolate and Baker's Chocolate calls its sweet chocolate German chocolate.

Substitutes: semi-sweet chocolate OR bittersweet chocolate OR 1 ounce sweet chocolate = 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate + 4 teaspoons sugar OR 1 ounce sweet chocolate = 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa + 4 teaspoons sugar + 2 teaspoons unsalted butter (may leave a powdery taste, but makes product moister and more flavorful.)

German Chocolate Cake is my favorite. Hubby makes me one from scratch for my birthday every year using freshly-milled flour and a low-glycemic version of Coconut/Pecan Filling/Frosting using agave nectar or palm syrup and unsweetened coconut.

YUMMMM... -Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Thesaurus: Chocolate

o
RE: Compare German Chocolate and other Chocolate for baking

Baker's "German" Chocolate is a sweetened chocolate that got it's name from Sam German who was an employee of Walter Baker & Company (now known as just Baker's, I think).

Nothing German about it. Nothing German about the cake either. I grew up with those cakes & always thought they were German until I was well into my 30s. Duh.

/tricia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here