SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Tapioca disaster

kitchendetective
10 years ago

Okay, tapioca is not exactly the most difficult food prep exercise in the world, but you'd never know that from my abject failure today. (Insert sad mega frown here.) I have a single burner, portable, 1800 W Waring induction hob, which, frankly, I use mostly for boiling water and stock. However, lots of posters have these new-fangled induction cook tops and rave about retiring their double boilers as a result, so I figured I'd fore go pulling out the old double boiler and have a go at using the induction hob on the lowest setting with a perfectly sized Staub cast iron pot as my vessel of choice. Forty minutes in to what was supposed to be sixty minutes of tiny bubbling just around the edges of the milk-tapioca mixture, the mixture erupted from the pot. I completed the recipe anyway, but there are few discernible pearls. Did I explode them? I thought the use of the induction hob would obviate standing over the regular stove with a double boiler for an hour. Not so, in this case. So, what do you think? Any induction tapioca advice to share with me? Or any other advice? Have I created a health hazard because the tapioca didn't cook for a full hour?

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 18:25

Comments (12)