Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brown roast first or last?

Posted by liz_h (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 17:51

Roast beef instructions tend to go one of two ways.

Brown the meat first on stove top or hot oven, then oven-roast low & slow.

Roast low & slow, then brown with broiler blast, or hot oven.

I think that browning first would let some of that good flavor get into the rest of the roast. But that's just speculation. Which method to you think gives the best flavor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brown roast first or last?

I've not seen the browning-after method, but agree with you that browning first gets that flavor into the meat. I also like te idea of getting the "prep" work done, then just letting the meat cook.

o

This is the method we use now, and always will use. Comes out perfect every time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guide to Prime Rib

o

So do you think that guide is promoting canibalism? Tougher meat but more flavor??

I know I am bad!!

o

Depends on the type of roast. For a prime rib, I roast in a 500°F oven so the meat browns as it roasts.

If I am cooking a pot roast, then I brown the roast first and then add the other ingredients and liquid and slow roast.

And regardless of the method, I presalt a day or two in advance.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: High Heat Roasting

o

I use a different method entirely for a prime rib roast but for a regular pot roast like a chuck or round roast, I always brown first because that's where the good brown gravy starts.

I don't have a sous vide cooker but if I did and was cooking a roast with that method, I'd brown last.

o

sushipup, that method makes sense, too - even though it won't be prime rib in my case! I used to always do one for Christmas dinner, but we spend Christmas Day at a friend's house these days.

o

Pot roast is about the only beef roast that I make...used to always sear it first but I got tired of cleaning up all the splatters and, the last couple of times, just plopped the meat into the Nesco without any prep other than lacing it with sliced garlic. Lazy, yes, but it worked just fine for a pot roast that gets smothered with veggies anyway.

I cook pork roasts on the Weber so they brown as they cook.

o

I use sushipup's method; it's foolproof. The idea is to maximize the amount of medium rare goodness. After cooking low and slow, take it out of the oven and wrap in foil to allow the juices to stabilize for 30 or so minutes, put the oven as high as it will go, return the roast to the oven (unwrapped) to brown the outer 1/8 or so for 5 minutes; you can serve it then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here