SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756839

Not Too Sweet Icing

User
10 years ago

I am not normally a sweets person but during one of my drug induced post surgical dreams I dreamed about icing soft fluffy icing that wasn't too sweet. I called a friend and she tried mixing butter cream icing with whipped cream and no luck. But................................Oh my Gosh!! I found the exact taste from a You tube video. I had to share

Recipe and directions:

Place 1 cup of milk into a medium saucepan. Add 4 tablespoons of all-purpose flour to the milk and whisk together. Cook over medium high heat, stirring continuously, until it becomes a very thick smooth paste. This can take 3-4 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool completely.

Beat the cooled flour/milk mixture with 1 tsp of vanilla on high speed for 4 minutes. It will become a smooth paste again.

In a separate bowl combine the 1 cup sugar and 1 cup softened butter together with a electric mixer. Blend on high for 4 minutes.

Combine the flour/mik, butter/sugar mixtures together and beat on high speed with an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes until super fluffy.

Make sure the first mixture is super cold when you mix the 2 together.

I just ate a tablespoon full by itself ............................................................HEAVENLY

Here is a link that might be useful: Yoyomax 12 Icing video

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 17:28

Comments (21)

• Lars
    10 years ago

For a not too sweet frosting, I make a variation of a frosting similar to this recipe from Martha Stewart. Hers only uses 3/4 cup of sugar and makes 5 cups of frosting. It tastes a bit like marshmellows to me, but it does not have butter or shortening in it. It was my favorite frosting as a child. My recipe called for making a sugar syrup with water and sugar, which was then added to beaten egg whites. I haven't made it since I was a child, however.

I'll have to give yours a try as well - it sounds intriguing! Thanks for sharing.

Lars

• teresa_nc7
    10 years ago

CL, that frosting/icing is the type that is normally used on Red Velvet cake here in the southern states. Funny, I used to love Red Velvet cake.....until I stopped to think about the entire bottle of red food coloring that was in it. Think I'll stick to pound cake and good old Devils Food with 7 Minute Frosting which is a meringue style of frosting.

Teresa

• Related Discussions

Too much ice - had enough of winter.

Q

Comments (20)
    Hummm the chicken dance. That brings to mind a memory of making an fool of my self to please my 3 yr granddaughter. In full view of any one who was near the city park. We did this for my fathers birthday party. She had one of those singing/music b-day cards. Yep total fool. But hey I don't mind watching someone else for a change : ) We had 18 for the temp last night after it snowed yesterday. Now it is 40 an to be in the 60's by thur. It's a wonder everyone is not down w/phenomena. Bonnie
    ...See More

Suggestions for not too sweet, not too acidic heirloom varieties?

Q

Comments (8)
    Aker's West Virginia Marianna's Peace Pruden's Purple Trust me, you'll probably never fully make up your mind (I don't), and there'll always be at least one or two varieties you'll wish you had planted after it's too late (me too). Pick out a few, try 'em and make notes/save seed for next year. Otherwise you'll go nuts, like all the rest of us. :-)
    ...See More

icing too thin...help please!

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you Linda. The icing was the right consistancy when he made it, but has since melted. Barnmom, yes, the first layer of icing is on the cake. He's making more icing now, using shortening to keep it from melting, and will scrape off what he can. He took baking and pastry in high school and was taught to use either all shortening when it was going to be hot, or to use both butter and shortening, but it has been so long since he's done it, that he forgot. The cake is to be decorated as a dirt bike race track. The party will be outside in 85° heat. He needs to get moving! Thanks for helping. Tami
    ...See More

Too Cold for Ice Palace

Q

Comments (1)
    Ironic! I made soup the other night, starting with pressure cooking a few chicken pieces. To cool it down so I could pull the meat off the bone, the most efficient method was to stick it out on the back porch. Ah, instant cooling.
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My favorite not too sweet frosting is the rich chocolate frosting you get from butter, sugar, unsweetened chocolate, vanilla (or other flavoring) all in a blender, then add a can of evaporated milk and continue blending until it thickens....rich, creamy, smooth and delicious.
    There are a slew of variations for this recipe on the net.

The other one is to add unflavored gelatin to whipped cream to stabilize it so it lasts longer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stabilized whipped cream

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

CLBlakey, I was given a similar recipe more than 30 years ago and loved it for the very reason that it wasn't too sweet. I hadn't made it in a very long time and then a couple of months ago I wanted to frost something, but was tired of buttercream, so I used this recipe again. Everyone loved it. It's dangerous for me though. I don't care if it's attached to a cupcake or anything. I just love the frosting, LOL.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I don't like most icing precisely because it is too sweet for me, so I am happy to have this recipe. I always think that a cream cheese icing is not too sweet.

AnnieD, I learned to add gelatin to whipped cream just within the last year. What a difference. Wish I learned that a long time ago. I just put the gel and water into the MW for a few seconds.

• cloudy_christine
    10 years ago

A great not-sweet chocolate frosting is just sour cream and melted dark chocolate. Semi-sweet chips work fine.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lars - That is the recipe that I always put on angel food cake - PS your link locks people in and they can't get back here.

Teresa- I only had red velvet cupcakes once and didn't like the after taste I think I could taste the food coloring ....

Annie_D- I will try that next as hubby loves chocolate. Thanks

Donna - One of the reasons I like it so much it still has that buttercream taste. And I do understand the dangerous part I ate 3 tablespoons heaping before I even started to put it on the cake
    ded

Dedtired- I love cream cheese icing too.

Christine- Do you have a how to on that chocolate icing?

The bad thing about finding this recipe is that I normally don't do cakes and desserts now that is all I can think about my friend says they took out some parts during surgery and added a dessert gene in its place.

• Lars
    10 years ago

CL, I guess Martha is still in prison mode and wants to lock people up. I always open links in new tabs, and so to get back, all I have to do is close the tab. I had another link today that would not allow me to go back.

I'm really happy to see all of these not-too-sweet icing recipes. I'm going to save all of them.

Lars

• cloudy_christine
    10 years ago

There is really no how-to, CL. Melt the chocolate (chop it first if you're not using chips). Add the sour cream. That's it.
    Proportions can vary according to taste. Rose Levy Beranbaum calls it Sour Cream Ganache, and uses 12 ounces of chocolate and 1 2/3 cups sour cream at room temp. But I first learned this icing from James Beard, who calls it Chocolate Frosting, Helen Evans Brown. His is more chocolate-y, using only 1/2 cup of sour cream to 5 ounces of chocolate. He doesn't mention room temperature but does add a dash of salt. RLB's is chocolate-y enough and very good.
    Of course, this is not a fluffy icing.

• KatieC
    10 years ago

Thanks, CL, I've seen similar recipes that use flour in old cookbooks and have never tried it because I could only imagine sweet, thick white sauce. Now I want to make a cake.

My favorite not-too-sweet icing is sort of like Lars's...

* Exported from MasterCook *

White Mountain Frosting

Recipe By : The New Doubleday Cookbook, 1975
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cakes, Frosting And Fillings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 c sugar
    1/4 c light corn syrup
    1/4 c water
    3 egg whites -- at room temperature
    1 tsp vanilla extract -- or 1/2 t. almond

Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in a small heavy saucepn. Insert candy thermometer, partially cover pan, and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Remove cover and boil without stirring until the thermometer reads 240F-242F.

Just before syrup reaches temperature, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. When syrup reaches temp., set mixer at high speed and pour syrup into egg whites in a slow, thin stream. Continue beating until glossy and firm enough to hold its shape. Beat in vanilla.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Lemon or orange: Substitute lemon or orange juice for the water and flavor with 1/2 tsp. lemon or orange extract and the finely grated rind of a lemon or an orange.

Marble mountain:Just before spreading swirl in 1 (1 oz.) square coarsely grated unsweetened chocolate or 1 (1 oz) envelope no-melt chocolate.

Maple mountain: Use 3/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar instaed of granulated and use maple flavoring instead of vanilla.

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Lars, that's funny, but I'll bet Martha wouldn't think so! Not that I care what Martha thinks. (grin)

CL, I love that frosting, it was what I always put on red velvet cake. I stopped making it when I stopped making red velvet, which I don't care for. Not enough chocolate and too much red dye, but that frosting was amazing.

Thanks for the reminder and for all the other recipes here, I've kind of locked myself into a "buttercream" mindset lately and it's good to be reminded that there are other options.

Annie

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sad news to report the cake is dead and gone completely - I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

• bcskye
    10 years ago

LOL!!! CL, you sound like me!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bcskye - the really strange thing is I don't do cake normally it can sit and sit till I throw it away. Already I am thinking of my next one..............(thin layers of cake with thick layers of icing in between maybe white this time with some coconut) ...............................l need that like I need another hole in my head. I got it bad!!!! I hope its a faze. I think hubby is hoping it lasts finally after 26 years he will get dessert.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried to make this again today switched to unsalted butter to see if the texture would change. Tastes great feels great but looks well you decide. Maybe it wouldn't show so much if it was piped on.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

CL, what is the icing sitting on ? you've given me an icing craving...

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tweeked a betty crocker white cake by adding 1 can of pinapple blitzed to a pulp and using coconut milk instead of water.

used coconut extract instead of vanilla for the icing.

I talked to my friend who tried the icing and she thinks I didn't whip the butter and sugar enough. Hers was really fluffy like my first batch. Probably true I was in a bit of pain near the end of making it an rushed it. I will wait another 2 weeks and try again then I will be 1 month post op and this pain set back should be over.

Hubby asked tonight for chocolate so my pina colada cake will have to wait for its next round of tweeking.

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

A couple of months ago when I made Red Velvet cupcakes and this frosting, I tripled the frosting recipe and my frosting, although still tasting heavenly, looked much like yours, CLBlakey. That is when I found out that it whips much fluffier if there isn't too much in the bowl all at once. When I separated out as much as I though I would actually need for the cupcakes and whipped again, it was beautiful and fluffy.

I also found out that it freezes wonderfully. After thawing, it just needs to whipped again and it's as good as when it was first made.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Donna I do have some left over into the freezer it goes. I bet that was it I made a double batch the second time.

• drift3r
    8 years ago

I know this is a bit of an older post but I still wanted to say thanks for this recipe! Google brought me right here today when searching for a not too sweet icing alternative. . . Per some of the other comments I thought it was going to turn out gritty but I kept mixing and mixing and eventually it came together into one of the best icings I've ever tried! It also pipes on to cupcakes beautifully! This is my new go to recipe. Thanks again!

• Cookie8
    8 years ago

There is a bakery in Winnipeg, called Jeanne's Bakery that has been around since the 1930s. We used to get it for our birthday's every year growing up. When I moved away, I looked for copycat recipes. LOL, this is the recipe for the icing - the one you posted.

A Jeanne's cake has a shortbread cookie crust, a thin layer of the icing, cake layer, icing, cake layer then fully iced cake. The sides were always coated with shaved dark chocolate. I would bring a couple home with me. Sigh, I can't have them anymore because of food restrictions.