SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

I feel like a deer in the headlights....

caliloo
11 years ago

I know I should be able to do this without batting an eye, but I am stressing about an event I am "cooking" for next Saturday. This is a fundraiser (trap shoot at an outdoor range) for one of our local clubs, and I am preparing "lunch" for about 30 participants. Here's where it becomes tricky:

I don't know what the protein will be yet. Hopefully I will know by Tuesday - one of our local organic farmers is "donating" the protein - it could be pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches or pre-formed burgers or sausage or brisket or hot dogs or some combination (no chicken for whatever reason). I may have the option of choosing from the list, but since it is a donation, the club has asked me not to pressure the farmer into giving us anything specific.

I left a message for the farmer and said "If it is shoulder or brisket, can I pick it up by Wednesday?" so I would have time to cook it at home and bring up steam trays with sterno. I think I would almost prefer one of these options.

One of the guys said he would bring a gas grill - I have no idea what size or any details.

There is no electricity or refrigeration except for coolers and ice packs.

Lunch is served from 11:00 AM until 2:00PM.

It is all men, so no frou-frou food (as per request by the board).

I will have a tent to set up under and hopefully tables.

And it is supposed to be upper 90's with a heat index of 110 (as of the extended forecast today).

AND I cant do any prep on Thursday since my DH is away on business and I will be responsible for taking both boys to the swim meet which is an hour away and we probably will have to leave by 5PM and won't be back until 10-ish.

If you were in my position....

1. Would you have a preference as to what to make if it is offered? If I can serve a combination (like BBQ Pork and hot dogs) what combination would you choose?

2. Would you offer sides like cole slaw and potato salad and just try to put out very small servings and keep it chilled? Chips will also be available.

3. The only beverages will be water and Iced Tea - would you offer canned sodas and or Gatorade too?

Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated. I really am dreading this on many levels.

Thanks in advance!

Alexa

Comments (20)