SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grainlady_ks

(Food) Price Index to All-Time High

grainlady_ks
9 years ago

...for Meats, Poultry, Fish & Eggs (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics).

Something I'm sure we are all aware of, but I found the graph by-year interesting, and I had a few thoughts about "remember when".......

My Price Book (where I track prices of food items I purchase most frequently) has a lot of changes in the last few years, especially with so many items being hit by the "shrink-ray" (the size of many cans/jars/packages are much smaller), so I have to recalculate the unit prices.

I went through the Price Book just the other day and completely removed a number of items I just never purchase anymore because they just don't fit in the food budget, and added some new ones that do. Conserving and preserving seem to be more important than ever on a fixed food budget. To date, I've spent $629.83 for groceries this year (for 2 adults) - so I'm above my $100/month goal I set at the first of the year. Hopefully, I make up for that the next few months while the garden is in full swing. :-)

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: CNS News

Comments (14)