Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needing simple but good recipe for pickled Jalapenos

Posted by ritaweeda (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 16:52

My pepper plants are loaded and some of them are getting big. I've never pickled peppers before, does it have to be pressure processed? I don't have a pressure cooker. I've got so many I know I'll need to process them, though, as opposed to just refrigerating them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needing simple but good recipe for pickled Jalapenos

Check the recipe at the National Center for Home Food Preservation.....

Here is a link that might be useful: NCFHFP - pickled jalapeno rings

o

We're addicted to these, so I hope my puny-looking peppers do well. My coworkers just finished my last jars and have requested more to top bagels and cream cheese and cheese and crackers.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cowboy Candy (Candied Jalapenos)

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Preserving

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds jalapenos -- washed and sliced 1/4" (about 8 cups)
2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3 garlic cloves -- chopped (3 to 4)
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Bring vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add peppers and simmer for 5 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers into clean, hot canning jars. (I keep them warm in a couple of inches of hot water in the sink while the syrup is boiling.)

Bring syrup to a rolling boil. Boil for 6 minutes. Pour syrup over jalapenos, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles and top with more syrup if necessary. Wipe jar rims with a clean, damp cloth and place lids on the jars.

Process half pints in boiling water bath: 10 minutes at 0-1000 ft., 15 minutes at 1001 - 6000 ft., and 20 minutes above 6000 ft. (Add 5 min. for pints.).

NOTES : We sometimes add some diced onions. Good with crackers and cheese, in sandwiches, jalapeno cheesecake. Leftover syrup makes a great grilling glaze.

o

While you're pickling jalapeños, another delicious thing is horse carrots sliced on an angle, up to 1/4" thick, though 3/8" is better, pickled with a jalapeño. About one great big carrot to one ordinary size pepper (remove seeds and pith). I don't know anything about canning, but this doesn't taste sweet. Sometimes other pickling ingredients, plenty of white vinegar, but not sugar (unless it's needed for the canning about which I know nothing).

Don't forget to always wear gloves, and never touch your face, especially your eyes, while you're handling the peppers.

o

I grill them with garlic (in basket) over mesquite and then puree them with salt and vinegar to make a hot sauce and store them that way. This sauce keeps for two months, and if you make more than you can use for two months, you can freeze portions of it. Normally, I use habanero chilies and grill them will red bell peppers to make the sauce less hot. I wrote down my method here a few months ago, but I did not save it in a word document.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted habanero thread

This post was edited by publickman on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 21:20

o

We've been making bread & butter jalapenos (find a good recipe for b&b pickles and just sub peppers for the cukes) for the past few years. They're really good on sandwiches (and lots of other things).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here