SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Sorta MRE - ideas

bbstx
9 years ago

I have a good friend who will be hospitalized in a distant city for the next 3 - 4 months. She has leukemia and is undergoing the treatments necessary for a bone marrow transplant, and then will be having the bone marrow transplant. While she is in the hospital, her husband will be in a nearby apartment. Although I am fortunate to have never been in such a extreme situation, on the occasions when my husband has been hospitalized, I often find it difficult to eat. By the time I leave the hospital, I'm exhausted, and in the mornings, I'm in a hurry to get there.

I would like to send a care package to my friend's husband containing easy to prepare food. I'm sure he will be exhausted when he gets to the apartment and will not have the mental or physical energy to prepare any thing complicated.

I've thought of sending homemade energy bars like these or something more cookie-like that might serve as a grab-and-go breakfast.

Not everything has to be homemade. I'm game to consider anything that would be good, quick, and easy. (This is food for a man who is needing sustenance. He's not looking for a gourmet experience.) Because I do not buy a lot of prepared food, there may be things out there that are fairly good but of which I'm unaware.

I'm looking for all kinds of suggestions.

P.S. for those of you who may wonder about the title, MRE is military-ese for Meals Ready to Eat.

Comments (18)