SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

What to bring to a picnic?

lowspark
15 years ago

We're meeting a group of friends at the local outdoor theatre to see the symphony this Saturday night. We're doing a pot luck, meeting to grab our spot on the lawn and eat dinner a couple of hours before the show begins. The one who planned it is bringing a pasta salad. I'm completely at a loss for what to bring.

It's got to be non-meat (fish ok, but no shellfish, no beef, no chicken, no pork). It's HOT HOT HOT here now so I don't want to bring anything that's going to suffer from being exposed to the heat more than 5 minutes. And since it's a picnic, some will be on chairs, some will be sitting on blankets, it's got to be fairly easy to handle.

I COULD do a dessert (really the easiest option) but every time we have a pot luck, one couple always seems to show up with dessert whether someone else has volunteered for that or not, so I'd just as soon let them go for it and I'll make something else.

Any great ideas/recipes? Thanks!

Comments (20)

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

This is always a hit. Original recipe calls for ham but I have made with tuna, salmon, chicken and beef.

Stuffed Baguettes

1 Baguette or French stick
    2 cups spinach leaves chopped and packed
    4 oz cream cheese room temp
    1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
    1 TBSP milk
    4 cups minced ham or tuna or salmon or beef or chicken
    1/3 cup toasted pistachios chopped
    1 TBSP Dijon mustard
    1/3 cup mayonnaise

Slice the baguette lengthwise.
    Hollow out the bread leaving the shell about 1/2 inch thick. Rinse spinach and shake off excess moisture cook in just a bit of water until the leaves are wilted. Drain and squeeze dry and chop in the food processor ( I just use frozen and ensure it is well drained). Combine cream cheese , dill , milk, and spinach until spreadable. Combine meat/fish of choice nuts, mustard and enough mayo to make a moist filling. Spread cream cheese all over the inside of the shells. Spoon the meat/fish mixture into the bottom shell, mounding slightly. Place top of loaf back over the filling.
    J Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and as long as 8. Serve cut in slices.

• triciae
    15 years ago

I made a salad this past Sunday that was terrific, if I do say so myself. It sounds disgusting...but it was sooo good. The weather was humid & DH wanted something 'refreshing' & not heavy. Here's what I came up with...

SALMON SALAD (this was enough to serve six)

1-1/2 Pounds Fresh Salmon
    Salt & Pepper
    Bit of Olive Oil

2 Packages Nibletts White Corn No Sauce
    1/2 Red Onion (it was a large onion...if small use a whole onion)
    1 English Cucumber, diced
    4 Jalapenos (they were smallish)
    1 Can Drained/Rinsed Goya Black Beans
    Jest & juice of 2 limes
    3 Cups Watermelon, bite-size diced
    Cilantro, minced (a good-sized fistful, maybe 1/4 cup)
    Parsley, flat leaf, minced (another fistful)
    Salt/Pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Drizzle salmon with olive oil.
    Salt & pepper to taste.

In a large skillet (I used cast iron), sear the salmon, skin side up, on high heat for 2-3 minutes.

Place skillet in the oven & cook until the salmon just flakes, about 20-25 minutes depending on how thick your piece of salmon is in the center.

Allow the salmon to cool until you can handle it.

While the salmon is cooking & cooling, prepare the other ingredients in a large serving bowl EXCEPT FOR THE WATERMELON. Stir everything together well.

When the salmon is completely cool, flake the fish into fairly large pieces (2"x1" approx.). Gently, toss the flaked salmon into the salad mixture.

Just before serving, toss in the watermelon.

I served it in large individual pasta bowls lined with Boston bibb lettuce & garnished with thin lime slices & additional parsley. Served with multi-grain bread.

I know the ingredients sound odd together but it was so good, refreshing, & flavorful. Good protein, low-fat, quick, & easy.

For a picnic, I'd take the salmon & watermelon in separate containers & mix at the last moment before eating. The watermelon will weep if you mix it in too early.

Sounds like a fun evening. We enjoy the Boston Pops at Tanglewood.

/tricia

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Raleigh Fall Swap & Picnic 2013

Q

Comments (150)
    casalester, the lady fern makes a nice clump and is easy. spleenwort does make a clump but it's small- like maybe 8" when full grown, so i doubt you'll get much coverage. It is evergreen, though. your choice. lisianthuslover, my bad. i just assumed b/c you'd seen jeri's rose... i do recall digging alstromeria this spring. It was a bit frantic, though at the swap. be nice to put a face to a name. i do have some ornamental oregano, can get you some. Carla, yes, i remember now! Super cute. Sure, swing by afterwards and get a branch. but you can have a pot, too- i have several. :) by the time you move it might be to a whole 2'! LOL yes, dogridge, i have plenty of pawpaws. Your name is on one! :)
    ...See More

Barad Annual Picnic

Q

Comments (2)
    LOL it said no dogs :-( ..... at times I am the dog I even grow the bones LOL Seriously though the six or so hour drive is in next years plans. Should propose it as a group trip for the C&S club here and invite our sister group in Ct.
    ...See More

Looking for picnic food idea

Q

Comments (11)
    WE like shooters' sandwiches. Take a Vienna loaf (log-shaped firm bread) and slice through horizontally, hollow out slightly. Cook sliced mushrooms, enough to line the hollowed out part, and then some rump steak to cover the mushrooms. Season to taste and place the bread lid on, wrap firmly and place in the refrigerator overnight with a weighted board on top to squish it all together. Serve in slices. Mmmmm. Or pizza bread. Roll out bread dough in a large rectangle, make slanted slits down either side leaving the centre third intact. Layer your favourite pizza ingredients on the centre third, including cheese. Draw the strips from the side sections over the filling to make it look like a braid on top. Bake as you would a loaf of bread. When cold serve cut into slices.
    ...See More

Friday's Question.........

Q

Comments (14)
    We live on an Island,and so many tourists come here on holdiays! I think with the new "staycations" it'll be worse than ever, the city beach park is already jammed. So, we'll go the reverse way! We're heading south to Oregon to my son and his wife's home (near the coast.) We'll take the Pt. Townsend ferry and drive down along Hood Canal, missing the Seattle freeway traffic. Even though they're near the coast, they don't get the crowds like here. We might go to Depoe Bay for a day, but other than that we'll just BBQ and visit.
    ...See More
  • lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

A couple of times I have brought sweet potato salad to a picnic and gotten raves. Below is the recipe I base mine on, but I don't follow it to a T. I think it has way too much vinegar. I just use a mix of balsamic vinegar, honey or maple syrup and dijon mustard and olive oil, to taste and depending on how many potatoes I have. I also add chopped red pepper. And sometimes I sub cilantro for parsley, but I am a cilantro lover, lol! I also think I have added corn to make it even more colorful.

Sweet Potato Salad by Bobby Flay

4 large sweet potatoes, par-cooked and cut into 1/2-inch slices
    8 scallions
    3/4 cup olive oil, divided
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons honey
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preheat grill to high. Brush potatoes and scallions with oil and arrange on grill. Grill potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until just tender. Grill scallions until softened and marked. Remove scallions from the grill and cut into thin slices.
    In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil, the mustard, vinegars, and honey. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add potatoes, scallions, and parsley and toss until potatoes are well coated. Transfer to a platter and serve.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm thinking salad too. Here's a favorite.

Artichoke Salad

This recipe comes from Picnic! by Edith Stovel. This serves 8.

Ingredients

Salad
    ½ lb fresh mushrooms, washed, dried and sliced
    3 - 6 oz jars marinated artichoke hearts with marinade
    1 medium tomato, seeded and cut into bite size chunks
    1 celery stalk, sliced
    1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    6 sun dried tomatoes, cut into strips

Dressing
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    ½ teaspoon dried oregano
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons olive oil

In a large bowl, combine all of the vegetables. Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over vegetables. Let the salad stand in the refrigerator overnight or 8 hours.

• dreamhouse1
    15 years ago

How about wraps or pita pockets?

You can go strictly veggies or add some fish. Salmon & mango salsa (add lots of cilantro since you love it so!); tuna w/an Asian slaw, Mandarin oranges, almonds; roasted veggies w/olive tapenade, feta cheese, olive oil, oregano, s&p.

If they are going to be a while in transport, you can always wrap or stuff once you are ready to eat.

Sounds like a fun time!

• lindac
    15 years ago

With a pasta salad....and the contsraints on refrigeration, I would take an assortment of cheeses, cut up veggies and crackers.
    I might normally say and some salami and ham....but....
    How about some smoked fish....would that be safe in hot weather?..or how about cans of sardines?
    Linda C

• Lars
    15 years ago

I made {{gwi:1497160}} for a picnic recently, and it was a big hit. Use pizza dough and then fill it with whatever you want, including Italian cheeses, pasta sauce, herbs, etc. Mine was a bit on the bready side, but then since no one had brought bread, it was very welcome. You could also make focaccia.

Lars

• donnar57
    15 years ago

Lindac and I think alike - my first thought, after reading the original post, was "cheese and crackers!" And of course paper plates, if someone else hasn't volunteered to bring those.

DonnaR/CA

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

The Spanish always include one or two cold potato & onion tortillas in a picnic basket. They can be cut into wedges or small squares, depending on how many you want to serve. Always pleases and is easy to transport on a covered plate.

Ingredients for 4 servings:

3 medium potatoes
    3 large eggs
    1 onion
    salt 1/2 teasp & pepper to taste
    olive oil
    Italian parsley, chopped (optional)

I use a 7-inch non-stick pan as it's easy to fill, making a nice high and rounded tortilla which is easy to flip over.

1. Slice potatoes lengthwise once, then slice both pieces thinly into half moons. Chop onions into 1/4 rings.

2. Coat the bottom of the pan with oil and when hot add potatoes. Keep turning so they do not burn or go brown.
    When golden, remove from pan and set aside in large bowl.

NOTE: Some folks prefer to gently boil or steam the potatoes for 5 - 10 minutes rather than fry them. I've seen it done both ways and I also like to do this.

3. Put chopped onion in pan, if necessary add a little more oil and sauté until soft, without being dark brown. Remove from pan and add to potatoes in bowl.

4. Beat the eggs in a small bowl, add salt & pepper and chopped parsley, and pour over potato & onion mixture in bowl. Turn gently to coat all.

5. Add 2 TBS oil to pan and when hot, pour in the egg, potato and onion mixture. Run the edge of a sharp knife or spatula around the rim of the pan while the egg is
    setting to loosen the edges. I also poke it several times in the middle to let some of the runny egg seep down to the pan. Don't let it get too dark or burn.

6. When the edges are set and the middle is still half runny hold a plate over the top and flip pan and all over on to the plate and gently slide it back into the pan.
    Don't overcook as the centre should still be juicy.

7. Let cook a minute or two more on that side, then slide it out onto a plate.

8. Cut into wedges as a luncheon dish, or into small squares with toothpicks to be served on a buffet or as a tapa.
    Or keep it whole to take on a picnic. Nice served with sliced tomatoes on the side.

The edges should be fat and firmly rounded. If you've never tried making one before, start with a small non-stick pan and when you're an expert move up to a larger pan. A small 7 inch pan will make a nice luncheon omelette for two.

• lowspark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Excellent ideas! Thanks!! I actually did think about bringing cheese and crackers! All of these ideas are so good now instead of not knowing what to make because I have no ideas, I have lots of ideas to choose from!

I'm definitely going to do one of these, I just have to choose which one. The others will get filed for future reference! Right now I'm leaning toward the stuffed baguette because I'm betting most of the others will bring salad type items and we'll need something a little bit more hearty to fill in. But then again, I might change my mind before saturday. :)

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Hi May - I will vouch for Sharon's baguette - I've made it and I bet it'll be perfect!

• sands99
    15 years ago

My fav thing to bring to BBQ/picnics as of late is cold peanut noodles. There are a million recipes out there but mine has chicken broth, peanut butter, garlic, honey, soy, fresh grated ginger and I garnish with chopped honey roasted peanuts and green onion. It's different and savory and I'm asked for the recipe every time I bring it somewhere. It's the antithesis of mayo based sides.

• jimster
    15 years ago

A cold buffet item which is a long time favorite of mine is Vegetables a la Grecque. I've always followed James Beard's method:

VEGETABLES A LA GRECQUE

"As the vegetables are eaten cold, rather than hot, they can be made in quantity and kept in the refrigerator in containers, to be brought out when you want a simple first course or cold vegetables for a summer buffet. Serve the different vegetables in the small serving dishes called raviers, or in flat pottery or glass dishes. A sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley or, if you like the flavor, chopped fresh coriander, makes a pleasant garnish."

* Court bouillon:
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/3 cup white wine vinegar
    1/3 cup dry white wine or vermouth
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1 bay leaf
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled
    Dash of hot pepper sauce
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, tarragon, oregano, basil; or 1 teaspoon each dried

* Select from the following vegetables: young, tender green beans, wax beans, whole green onions or tiny white onions, small and firm mushroom caps, whole or halved leeks, halved or quartered fennel bulbs, fingers or cubes of eggplant, small and firm zucchini halved or thickly sliced, halved celery hearts, buds of broccoli or cauliflower, tiny young carrots, tiny pattypan squash, artichoke bottoms, or trimmed and quartered artichokes with choke removed (see note).

* Put the oil, vinegar, wine, salt, pepper, bay leaf, garlic, hot pepper sauce, thyme, tarragon, oregano and basil in a large, shallow pan or deep skillet, then add a cleaned, trimmed vegetable and just enough water barely to cover. The court bouillon is sufficient for 1 pound of green beans or carrots, or 1 large eggplant, cubed, or 8 artichoke bottoms or a dozen mushroom caps.

* Bring the liquid to a boil very slowly over medium heat, then reduce the heat and poach until the vegetable is just crisply tender when pierced with a fork or the point of a small sharp knife. Do not overcook.

* Remove from the heat, taste the liquid for seasoning and add salt, if needed; then let the vegetable cool in the liquid. When cool, transfer to a refrigerator container or serving dish. Strain the poaching liquid and use again for other vegetables. If necessary, add more water.

* Note: Do not simmer vegetables together, as they will have different cooking times. Cook your selections separately.

As mentioned, there are many, many vegetables to select from. Just choose a few which offer a contrast of colors, flavors and textures and which are in season.

Jim

• fedup321
    15 years ago

A case of Bud Light?

• lowspark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WELL! I'm bummed. I was all set to make chase's stuffed baguettes when I got an email from the host asking me to make dessert. Of all things!! It seems the couple who usually bring dessert aren't going to this time so that's what was needed.

I'm going to just make brownies and have done with it. Easy-peasy. But you can rest assured I will keep that recipe and these others as well for future reference. I'm definitely going to try to make them soon.

fedup,
    We're responsible for bringing our own drinks, so I'll be bringing some wine. However if it were going to be a beer night, I'd be more inclined to bring Shiner Bock than Bud Light...

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Well sands...lets have the recipe please! I'll try it; I'd like to!

May, you can still make the baguettes...just create your own picnic event. It could be a romantic dinner for two after work one night soon. Oh! I like this idea so much I might just try it myself! (Just stick a couple of those brownies in the freezer while you're at it, and you'll have dessert already made.)

• blizlady
    15 years ago

sands, I'd also love to see the recipe for the peanut noodles. I'm always looking for something different to bring to our agency's pot luck picnics.

• sands99
    15 years ago

Sands Picnic Peanut Noodles

1c chix broth
    3 Tbsp Fresh grated ginger root
    3 oz soy sauce [almost a 1/4 c]
    1/2 c peanut butter
    5 TBSP [1/4 c] honey
    **btw if you measure - by now I just eye - use some non-stick spray in your measuring cup for both the PB and the honey, makes it much easier :)
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    4 cloves or 2 tsp minced garlic

1 lb noodles [some like Udon I like barilla spaghetti rigatti it has furrows lengthwise on the noodle really grabs the sauce]

1/2 cup chopped green onion
    1/2 c chopped honey roasted peanuts

heat the broth add the other goodies except the last three, heat add stir till well blended. Cook the noodles toss with the sauce, add half the honey peanuts and half the green onion [I usually use the white part and save the green rings for garnish]. Chill several hours or overnight

Next day or later toss the noodles to separate then top with the last of the green onion and the remaining honey peanuts as garnish.

I've been adjusting this recipe for yrs - it's sooo hard to figure out what a sweet/savory sauce [when hot] will develop into when it cools so if you taste the sauce when it's hot and it tastes a little tangalicious don't worry it cools and develops nicely :)

• ric4san_msn_com
    15 years ago

I have a question someone may be able to answer. I had a Picnic cookbook from the library about 10 years ago that was great. I cannot recall the name of it but had copied a few recipes. Some of them were: caramel fingers, filo onion quiches, savory puff fingers.

I would appreciate it if someone could e-mail the name of the book if they know it. THanks!

• kandm
    15 years ago

Hummus Dip with Pita bread
    Marinated Artichoke Hearts