SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Banana split recipe

Lars
10 years ago

I found this banana split recipe, which looks like what I had as a child in the 1950s, and my mother took us to a drug store to get them because the drug store had a soda fountain plus some raised booths, and the booths had penny fortune telling machines that would answer yes or no questions, but generally very vaguely.

Anyway, I was reminded of banana splits because I made strawberry pineapple ice cream and then tried putting chocolate sauce on top of it. While this combination reminded me of banana splits, it was really too many competing flavors - even the strawberry pineapple ice cream was confusing just by itself. I do remember that as a child I would not combine more than two flavors and that I thought the strawberry ice cream did not belong. I also remember that I could never eat a whole banana split - the bananas alone would usually fill me up if I ate that part first.

What memories do you have of banana splits - where did you get them, and how do you make them now? I only make a very simplified version, but I love the pineapple component and always have. I think I just didn't like strawberry ice cream as a child, but I like it now, but only by itself.

Lars

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County