SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Post your Can O' Soup Recipes here

lowspark
13 years ago

The Canned soup in Cooking thread discussion got me in the mood for Chicken Spaghetti which is one recipe I make occasionally that does use a can o' soup. I made it this afternoon for dinner later in the week. It got me to thinking, it might be fun to post all of our can o' soup recipes here. Whadaya say?

Here's my chix spag recipe. It's got a can o' soup and velveeta!

1 lb spaghetti or any other pasta

2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts

s&p & other spices

1 lb velveeta, cubed

1 can o' cream o' soup (mushroom, celery or chicken)

1 1-lb bag of frozen veggies (broccoli, peas, or whatever you like)

1 can rotel

Boil the spag.

Flatten & cube the chicken breasts. Sautwith s&p & other spices to your liking.

Drain spag. Put the velveeta into the pot the spag was in and get it melting a bit. Put the spag back in and dump in the sautéed chicken, the soup, the veggies and the rotel. Mix and cook till well blended.

Pour into a baking dish and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes.

Comments (42)

• Bizzo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Meemo's Italian Delight...

from my grandmother. Not Italian at all nor light, but a favorite.

Sorry I don't have exact proportions, I usually wing it...

Ingredients
    Extra wide egg noodles, cooked (a bag, half a bag, or less depending on the size of your casserole dish)
    Ground beef
    chopped onion
    Lots of cheddar cheese, grated
    can of Cream of Tomato Soup
    chili powder

instructions
    Brown and scramble Ground Beef
    Add onion until cooked to your likeness (translucent works for me)
    When done, add can of tomato soup, and a pinch or two of chili powder.

In casserole dish, layer ground beef, noodles, grated cheese (I usually have two or three layers of each, start with either noodles or ground beef, and always end with cheese)

Bake 350 until cheese is melted /bubbly (30-45 minutes)

I particularly like it as leftovers...

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

I have worked on this over the years; it has become a favorite with the extended family (you know, those who think I am a good cook).

Sherried Chicken Casserole 4 boneless/skinless chicken breast-cut up in chunks and sauteed
    3 cups cooked rice
    8 oz shredded or sliced Swiss cheese
    1 can cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
    1 jar Boston Market roasted chicken gravy
    8 oz of fresh mushrooms-sliced
    2 cups herb Stove Top stuffing mix
    ½ cup Sherry
    ½ cup melted butter for drizzling over stuffing topping
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon dried garlic pounded into powder
    2 tablespoons parsley

1. Pre heat oven to 350

1. Sauté mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of butter, garlic powder, and parsley
    2. After about five minutes, stir soup and gravy into mushroom mixture and continue sautéing for 3 minutes to develop flavor
    3. Turn heat off and add sherry, mix well
    4. Put rice in greased large baking dish
    5. Arrange chicken pieces on top of rice
    6. Top chicken with cheese slices
    7. Pour soup mixture on top of cheese
    8. Sprinkle dry stuffing mix on top of soup mixture
    9. Drizzle melted butter over stuffing
    10. Bake for 45-55 minutes
  • Related Discussions

Please Post Your Favorite Navy Bean Soup Recipe

Q

Comments (15)
    Here's the one I use: Navy Bean Soup From Food Network Kitchens 1 lb navy beans, picked over, rinsed and drained 10 sprigs parsley 2 sprigs fresh thyme 1 bay leaf 2 large smoked ham hocks, about 1-1/2 lb 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped 8 c cold water 1 medium carrot, coarsely chopped Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper Butter for garnish Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat, cover and let sit for one hour. Drain and reserve. Tie parsley, thyme and bay leaf together with kitchen twine. In large soup pot or dutch oven, combine the beans, herb bundle, hocks, onions and garlic with the water. Bring to a boil, cover and adjust the heat so that the soup cooks at a gentle simmer. Cook until the beans and hocks are completely tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Turn off heat and remove hocks. Cool slightly. Remove meat from hocks, discarding the bones, fat and skin. Cut meat into small cubes. Remove herb bundle from soup and discard. Puree about 3 cups of the beans with some of the liquid in a blender. (For a smooth soup, you may puree all the beans). Stir the puree and diced meat into the soup. Heat the soup and adjust seasoning as needed with salt & pepper. Ladle into heated bowls, place a small pat of butter on top of each bowl of soup, serve. Linda
    ...See More

RECIPE: Need Soup Recipes that you can freeze

Q

Comments (10)
    Here are a couple of my favorites. Both could be made with ground turkey or chicken. Vegetable Burger Soup makes 10-12 servings 1 lb. ground beef or pre-cooked frozen ground beef 2 lbs. can stewed or diced tomatoes 1 1 lb. can tomato sauce 4 cups water 2 10 oz. pkgs mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, green beans) 1 envelope dry onion soup 2 t. sugar - white or brown Brown beef and drain off fat if using fresh. Thaw beef if using frozen precooked. Add rest of ingredients to soup pot or slow cooker. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer one hour if in pot on stove. Cook on low for 8 hours if in crock pot. I add diced cooked potato cubes to this after thawing the soup and before heating. Sometimes cooked potatoes become soft with freezing. You can use diced fresh onion if the onion soup is too salty. Taco Soup I used less meat and it was great; subbed some bulk sausage for some of the ground beef. I did not include the can of hominy. You could use no salt versions of the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Not sure what you could sub for the Ranch Dressing or taco mix. Maybe garlic and parsley for the Ranch and chili powder for the taco? 2 pounds ground round 1 large onion, diced 1 packet taco seasoning 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch original dry mix salad dressing 1 can kidney beans (with liquid) 1 can pinto beans with jalapeños (with liquid) 1 can yellow hominy 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies (Rotel) 2 cans stewed tomatoes (I use Mexican stewed tomatoes) 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce 1 cup of water Cook beef and onion until beef is browned, drain excess grease. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
    ...See More

Who posted that pumpkin black bean soup recipe?

Q

Comments (2)
    Here's the thread; scroll down to brianadarnell! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1019341021161.html Very, very easy. Just dump in a bunch of ingredients. She got it from The Food Network, and you can substitute home-roasted pumpkin beautifully. Here is a link that might be useful: Food Network
    ...See More

What's your favorite spicy soup recipe?

Q

Comments (40)
    This is really good. * Exported from MasterCook * African Sweet Potato Soup Recipe By : Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00 Categories : Soups Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method -------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1 tbsp olive oil 1 tbsp red curry paste 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1 medium red onion -- peeled and diced 4 cloves garlic -- minced 1 sweet potato -- peeled and diced 1 large bell pepper -- seeded and diced (green, yellow, orange or red) 1 jalapeno -- seeded and finely diced 1 can black beans -- or two 4 cups veggie broth 1/2 cup peanut butter 1/2 cup boiling water 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes 2 tbsp chopped cilantro juice of one lime 1 tbsp brown sugar salt and black pepper -- to taste Heat oil and add the curry paste and cinnamon. Stir in onion, garlic, sweet potato, bell pepper, and jalapeno. Cook until fragrant. Mix peanut butter with boiling water. Add beans, broth, pepper flakes and cilantro. Simmer until veggies are tender. Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar. Season with salt and black pepper. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ...See More
  • doucanoe
    13 years ago

Ah....this could get interesting! LOL

Here are a couple, the first one I haven't made in decades. Maybe it's time to put it on the dinner menu!

Tuna Casserole With Cheese Swirls

1/3 c chopped green pepper
    1/3 c chopped onion
    3T oil
    2-1/4c Bisquick, divided
    1 can (10.5 oz) cream of mushroom soup
    1-1/2 c milk
    1 can (6.5 oz) tuna, drained
    1 c frozen peas, thawed
    1 T lemon juice
    1/2 c cold water
    3/4 c shredded American or Cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 425F

Heat oil in saucepan, cook and stir onion and pepper until tender. Stir in ¼ c Bisquick. Add soup, gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute, stir in tuna, peas and lemon juice.

Pour mixture into ungreased 11 x 7 baking dish. Keep hot in oven while preparing biscuits.

Stir 2 cups Bisquick and water to a soft dough. Turn dough onto cloth covered board, knead 5 times.

Roll dough into a rectangle 15x 9 inches, sprinkle with cheese. Beginning at wide side, roll up. Seal well by pinching edges. Cut into 12 1-1/4 inch slices. Place cut sides down on hot tuna mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes.

4-6 servings

This one, from Marilyn is one I make often. Lasagna Soup 1 pound ground beef (sirloin or chuck) 1 large onion; chopped 5 cloves garlic; minced 4 cups beef broth 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes 15 oz. can diced tomatoes 1 can Campbells tomato soup 1 teaspoon dried basil 4 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves 1 tablespoon extra\-virgin olive oil 1 1/4 cup mafalda pasta (mini lasagna noodles) Salt and pepper to taste 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese Brown ground beef in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and continue to cook until onions are tender, stir in garlic and sauté for another minutes. Add broth, tomatoes, soup and basil; bring to a simmer and cook covered for 30 minutes to blend flavors. Meanwhile cook pasta until al dente, drain and toss with olive oil. Add spinach and pasta to the soup and simmer uncovered until spinach wilts, 1 or 2 minutes. Taste soup and season with salt and pepper. To serve, place 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese in the bottom of bowl and ladle hot soup on top to melt cheese. Garnish top with parmesan cheese and serve immediately. Serves 4 generously. Recipe inspired by Lasagna Soup from Cuisine at Home magazine. Linda
  • teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I'd forgotten the tuna casserole with the Cheese Swirls on top! One of my favorites!

Here's another favorite:

Chicken 'n' Stuffing Casserole

cooked and chopped chicken meat, a whole chicken or 6-8 breasts
    1 stick butter or margarine
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 can cream O' chicken soup (undiluted)
    1 can cream O' celery soup (undiluted)
    1 pkg. Pepperidge Farm corn bread stuffing

Saute vegetables in butter. Mix chicken meat with soups and broth. Mix stuffing with celery, pepper, and onion. Put half of stuffing mixture in bottom of a large casserole, greased. Pour chicken mixture over. Top with rest of stuffing mixture. Bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes.

• paprikash
    13 years ago

Everyone I've served this to loves it!

Broccoli and Rice Casserole

2 10 ounce frozen broccoli -- chopped
    1 1/2 cups white rice -- uncooked
    1 small onion -- chopped
    1/2 cup celery -- chopped
    1/2 cup butter
    1 8 ounce Cheez Whiz
    1 10 3/4 oz cream of mushroom soup -- undiluted
    1 10 3/4 oz cream of chicken soup -- undiluted
    1 small can mushrooms,stems and pieces-drained
    salt and pepper

Cook broccoli according to package directions and drain. Cook rice according to package directions. In a skillet, saute onion and celery in butter. Add broccoli, Cheez Whiz, chicken soup, mushroom soup and canned mushrooms; stir until cheese is melted. Add rice and salt and pepper to taste. Place in a casserole. Bake at 350° for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbling.

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I'm beginning to swell up from reading this thread! ;)

• bbstx
    13 years ago

Definitely not as good as homemade vegetable soup, but this soup works great if you are in a situation where making soup from scratch would be difficult.

Seven Can Soup

1 can tomato soup
    1 can chicken and stars soup
    1 can chili with beans
    1 can chili without beans
    1 can Veg-All (small cut)
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    1 can whole kernel corn

Combine all. Bring to a gentle boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Notes:
    1. I find Rotel too spicy. I use stewed Mexican tomatoes.
    2. Use the small cut style of Veg-All. The large chunk-type pieces are too big.
    3. I have used turkey chili to reduce the amount of fat in the recipe. I found no difference in taste.

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

Don't ask me why but this one is such a family favourite they beg me to make it...and I do! Never a bit leftover.

Hash Brown Potatoes Casserole

1 2 pound package frozen hash brown potatoes
    1 Cup chopped onions (I use green onions but the original recipe calls for sweet onions)
    2 Cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    2 Cup sour cream
    Special K cereal (or other plain cereal like corn flakes)
    butter
    2 Cups grated cheddar cheese

Mix the potatoes, onions, soup and sour cream together in a large bowl. Place mixture in a greased 11"x7" casserole dish.

Spread a thin layer of Special K cereal on the top and dot the top of the casserole with bits of butter. Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese evenly over all.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

• paprikash
    13 years ago

Here's another -- I know this recipe may sound a little weird but it really is good(otherwise I would never post it on this site)and rewarms beautifully in the microwave.
    King Ranch Chicken

1/4 cup butter
    1 med onion -- chopped
    1 med green bell pepper -- chopped
    1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup-undiluted
    1 can condensed cream of chicken soup-undiluted
    1 can Ro-Tel diced tomatoes & green chilies
    2 cups cooked chicken
    1/2 bag Doritos nacho cheese chips-(14 1/2 oz bag)
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 325°. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with cooking spray (I used butter).

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add onion and pepper and cook until tender - about 5 minutes. Add soups, Ro-Tel and chicken, stirring until well blended.

Alternately layer chips, soup mixture and cheese repeating for three layers.

Bake until hot and bubbly - about 30 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Original recipe called for 12 six inch corn tortillas instead of the Doritos but we really really liked the Doritos so I don't think I will even try tortillas.

I used a supermarket rotisserie chicken

I also used two cups of Mexican style cheddar jack cheese instead of the cheddar.

• Cathy_in_PA
    13 years ago

Velveeta .... Too funny, Lowspark! Do you get gold stars if you use canned soup and a crockpot? I do use the "healthier" version of mushroom soup, reduced fat cream cheese, REAL mushrooms and a splash of wine to atone:)

This Creamy Italian Chicken has been posted here before:

Ingredients:
    4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    1 envelope dry Italian salad dressing mix
    1/4 cup water
    8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
    1 can cream of chicken soup -- undiluted
    4 ounces can mushroom stems and pieces -- drained
    Hot cooked rice or pasta
    Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Place the chicken breast halves in the crock pot. Combine the Italian dressing mix and water until smooth; pour over top of chicken. Cover; cook on low for 3 hours.

Combine the cream cheese and soup until smooth and blended. Stir in mushroom pieces. Pour soup mixture over chicken. Cook 1 hour more or until chicken is cooked through. Serve over hot cooked rice or pasta

Paprikash -- my husband LOVES that King Ranch casserole and honest-to-goodness requested it for Father's Day:) I'll have to try your version.

I have to go back and reread some of these recipes -- hope they're not too much of stretch for me. Fun thread!

Cathy in SWPA

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

The King Ranch Chicken Paprikash posted is the one I make most often only I add a little sour cream to mine. This is another favorite:

Baked Chicken That Makes It's Own Gravy

4 chicken breasts halves (bone in, skin on - very important)
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup melted butter
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 tsp garlic granules
    1-1/2 cup Velveeta (sometimes I add a lot more)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp white pepper
    1/2 cup drained whole pearl onions
    1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
    Dash paprika

Melt the butter in a baking pan large enough to hold the chicken breasts in one layer. Coat chicken in flour and arrange in the baking pan. Bake uncovered at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn chicken, bake until brown - 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325. Pour off excess fat, keeping browned bits. Combine milk, mushroom soup, cheese, salt and pepper in a bowl. Add onions and mushrooms to chicken. Pour soup mixture over the chicken. Sprinkle with paprika and cover with foil. Return to the oven for 20 minutes. Serve over noodles. Serves 4.

• kayskats
    13 years ago

this is the ONLY recipe I use that calls for canned soup... I discoverd it had disappeared from my data base, so being too lazy to search through all my originals, I goggled it and found upteen jillion versions

this is it ... except I reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup. You
    use condensed cream of tomato-- straight from the can, which many folks (including me the first time I tasted it) fail to recognize.

MARINATED CARROTS (also named Copper Pennies)
    Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 lb. sliced carrots, cooked until just tender
    1 lg. onion, cut into rings
    1 lg. green pepper, sliced

MARINADE:

1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. oil
    1/2 c. vinegar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire
    1 can tomato soup

Place all vegetables in large bowl. Mix all marinade ingredients together. Pour over vegetables. Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours.

kay

• jessyf
    13 years ago

I am just howling at this thread. I love it and am currently craving tuna noodle casserole, ROFLMAO.

My memory was jogged....I used to make, pre kosher days, the following - line a pan with Pillsbury canned biscuits, cover with chopped leftover chicken, top THAT with a can of COM, maybe shredded cheese and/or corn flakes. Bake and scarf.

• nandina
    13 years ago

I have never met a kid (adults, too) who did not love the following for lunch on a cold winter day.

PINK BUNNY

Pour 1 can tomato soup in a pot. Add 1/2 can milk, 1 heaping teaspoon of McCormick's Italian Seasoning and a generous amount of cheddar cheese pieces. Simmer and stir until cheese melts and serve spooned on buttered toast.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Chicken Monterey

1/4 lb butter
    4 chicken breast halves
    1/2 cup flour for dredging
    2 tsp garlic granules
    1-1/2 tsp onion powder
    1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1-1/4 cup milk
    4 oz Monterey Jack cheese

Melt the butter in a frying pan. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour and lightly brown the chicken in the butter. In a bowl mix the soup and milk together. Place chicken in a baking pan and add the butter left in the skillet to the chicken. Pour soup mixture over the chicken. Bake covered at 350 for 1 hour.

This is also good using swiss cheese instead of Monterey and of course Monterey Jack is used by those chili heads out there.

Serve over rice

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

OMG. Slap me, but some of these are sounding pretty darn good...I might just have to try them. What the heck! :D

• Marigene
    13 years ago

If I am craving comfort food from my childhood, I will take:

6 thick boneless pork chops, cube them into about 1" squares, brown them in the bottom of the pressure cooker
    Add 3 cups sliced mushrooms
    1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
    2 minced garlic cloves
    1½ cups chicken broth
    Cook for about 10-15 minutes once it comes up to pressure...cool pressure cooker down, pork should be fork tender; if needed add enough more chicken broth to make a sauce the consistency of gravy.
    Serve over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Yummy Marigene, I'll have to try that one for sure.

Still haveing fun EJ?

Beverly

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

My group loves this one.

Squash Casserole
    3 cups Crooked Neck Squash (Sliced)
    3 cups Zucchini Squash (Sliced)
    1 Onion
    1 Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
    1 Cup of Sour Cream
    1 Cup of Shredded Carrot
    1 Box of Stove Top Stuffing (Chicken Flavor)
    1 Stick of Butter
    Slice squash, chop onion, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for several mintues to cook squash. Combine soup and sour cream. Add carrots and drained squash and onion. Mix to combine. Melt butter and add stuffing mix(no water). Spread half of the stuffing in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan, add squash mixture and top with remaining stuffing. Bake at 350 for about 45 - 60 minutes or until it's bubbling around the edges and the stuffing top is browned.
    I do add a few grinds of pepper, it doesn't need any additional salt thanks to the soup and stuffing mix. : ) I use three or four of each of the sqaush depending on their size...it's a very forgiving recipe so a little more squash doesn't affect it at all.

David

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Oh Beverly this thread is bringing back warm memories for me. I taught myself to cook in my college apartment with recipes like these.

• trixietx
    13 years ago

I make this during harvest to take to the field and they love it, as well as king ranch casserole, hash brown casserole and broccoli and rice. A neighbor gave me this recipe probably 35 years ago. It makes a big casserole, is inexpensive to make and I need that when feeding alot of hungry farmers. It's also good!!

Enchilada Casserole
    1 lb. ground beef'
    1 med. onion, diced
    1 can pinto ranch style beans
    1 can enchilada sauce
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 c. shredded cheddar or mexican blend cheese
    1 can rotel tomatoes and chilies
    corn tortillas
    Brown meat and onions and drain. Line a greased casserole with corn tortillas. Put meat and onions on top. Layer beans, enchilada sauce, soup, cheese and another layer of tortillas. Pour tomatoes and peppers over all and bake at 350 for one hour.

After typing the recipe maybe it should be called the four can casserole. LOL

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Hey, our restaurants even serve these dishes.

• dixiedog_2007
    13 years ago

"Hash Brown Potatoes Casserole" posted by Chase.

My family and friends love this one also! There is NEVER any left when it's made.

Lakeguy that's a good sounding one. I get my veges. and starch in one dish and all I need is a protein!

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm lovin it! I knew we were a bunch of closet can o' soup cookers!! There's no doubt I'm gonna try some of these! I better run to the grocery store and stock up on cans o' campbell's. LOL!!!

• ruthanna_gw
    13 years ago

This is one of my "go-to" recipes when I need to cook with short notice for the shut-ins program at our church. My family likes it with the lima beans but I usually substitute the green beans when making it for others.

MEATBALL STEW

1 egg, beaten
    1 cup soft bread crumbs
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
    2 Tbs. vegetable oil
    2 cans (14 ½ oz. each) beef broth (can use low sodium broth)
    2 cans (10 ¾ oz. each) condensed golden mushroom soup (NOT cream of mushroom soup)
    4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
    4 medium carrots, cut into chunks
    1 small onion, cut in half and slivered
    1 16-oz. package frozen Fordhook lima beans
    1/4 cup fresh minced parsley

In a bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, chopped onion, salt, marjoram and thyme. Add beef and mix well. Shape into 48 meatballs. In a Dutch oven, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add broth, soup, potatoes, carrots and sliced onions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add beans and continue to cook until all vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Makes 8 servings. Notes: Frozen cut green beans can be substituted for the lima beans and mushrooms can be added if desired.

• cookebook
    13 years ago

SOUR CREAM CHICKEN ENCHILADAS

8 ounces sour cream

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 ½ cups chicken broth

1 can (4 ounce) green chilis

12 flour tortillas

2 ½-3 pound chicken, cooked, boned & shredded

8 ounces Monterrey Jack cheese, grated

8 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated

Combine sour cream, soup, broth & chilis. Heat on stovetop over low heat and stir until smooth and well-blended. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Soften tortillas for a minute or so wrapped in a towel in the microwave then place them in the soup mixture.

Mix chicken and cheeses and few tablespoons of the soup mixture together saving some of each cheese for the top.

Lift each out separately and fill with the chicken & cheese mixture, roll up and place seem side down in a 9x13" pan.

Pour remaining soup over there enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.

MY NOTES: OK some changes I made: This recipe calls for you to boil a chicken and use the broth in the recipe. I bought a rotisserie chicken and used that and some chicken broth from a box. Or canned broth is fine. I just like the boxes.

Those canned green chilis are very mild so I used two cans instead of one. They dont really have any heat, just kind of a spicy flavor. I also put a tablespoon of some bottled green hot sauce I had in the fridge.

I probably used WAY more cheese than the recipe called for. I didnt measure.

I had some filling left over at the end which rarely happens. I just spread it around on top of the enchiladas before pouring on the soup mixture.

I lined up 8 down the long side of the pan and added four more going the opposite way on the other side to make 12 total.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

cookebook, your recipe is very similiar to mine.

Mine's "lazier" and includes black olives in the filling and no broth, just the sour cream, soup and chilis for the sauce. Mix, no heating.

Filling is chicken, cheese, olives.

I just put a little sauce in the bottom of a greased pan, fill the tortillas (no dipping), pour ALL the rest of the sauce over the top and sprinkle with a little more cheese. "Decorate" with a few sliced olives.

Family favorite!

Deanna

• KatieC
    13 years ago

Fun thread. Here's a weird one. This is from a fundraiser cookbook that we did for our food bank several years ago. I about gagged at the recipe and would have never tried it, but one day I was at a friend's house visiting with her while she cleaned up dinner dishes. I started picking at her leftover casserole....and it was amazingly good!

Tater Tot Casserole

Press lean ground beef (1 to 1 1/2 lbs)in bottom of 13 x 9 pan.

Spread with a can of Cream of Mushroom, then a layer of shredded cheese.

Top with Tater Tots and bake @ 350 for about 45 minutes.

This is the French Dressing I've been making for years. We also like it on pasta salads, mixed half & half with Italian dressing:

* Exported from MasterCook *

French Dressing

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 can tomato soup
    1 c oil
    1/2 c vinegar
    1/3 c sugar -- or honey
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp celery salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder

Shake in quart jar. Makes about 3 cups.

Clipped from a magazine, 1982

• chase_gw
    13 years ago

Katie is that dressing like Kraft Catalina? My husband loves that dressing!

• aprilflower
    13 years ago

Since I've snagged a few recipes from this thread, it's only fair that I post a couple of my own!

"FRENCH" SPAGHETTI
    8 ounces spaghetti -- cooked
    1/2 pound bacon -- diced
    1 small onion -- chopped
    4 mushrooms -- sliced
    1 can tomato soup
    Bring water to boil and begin spaghetti.
    Saute bacon and onion until soft. Drain.
    Add mushrooms and saute and lightly browned.
    Add tomato soup and warm.
    Drain cooked spaghetti and add to sauce. Toss completely. Serve immediately.
    Tastes (to me) like a warm catalina or french dressing sauce.

Mom's Mushroom Chicken

1.5 - 2lb boneless skinless chicken *
    1 family sized can Cream of Mushroom soup
    1 8oz brick cream cheese, softened
    1 small can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
    1 16oz container sour cream

Place chicken in crock. Mix cream cheese, undiluted soup, and drained mushrooms together and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-4 hours, stirring in sour cream for last 30 minutes of cooking. Serve over egg noodles, sauce will thicken while cooling.

* I've used all different "parts" of chicken - thighs, breasts, etc skin on and off and with/without bones. I greatly prefer without the skin - it tends to be a bit gummy and fall off into the sauce. Bones don't seem to matter too much to me, other than being hard to find and fish out (the chicken falls off of the bone). I've also used golden mushroom soup and it turns it richer, almost like a stroganoff. I also sometimes will add 2 family-size cans of soup

enjoy!

april

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

And for some of the long timers here.....

Oh, Roger, can you come out now?

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Peppi, I was thinking the same thing, where in the world is Roger.

Unfortunately (or is that fortunately?) I don't have any recipes that use canned soup except that infamous green bean casserole that I make twice a year, at Thanksgiving and Easter and that recipe is on every can of CofM soup.

Annie

• becky_ca
    13 years ago

Do I get extra points if I post a recipe that uses both a can of soup AND a package of dry onion soup mix?

Seriously, when all 5 of our kids were at home, I would double it and they'd fight over the rice LOL. Since it's a sodium bomb, we wouldn't touch it now, but boy it sure tasted good back then...

Becky

CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE

1 cut-up fryer (or thighs or legs)
    3/4 c. rice (brown or white)
    1 can water
    1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix

Place rice in casserole or roasting pan. Place chicken on top. Mix chicken soup and onion soup mix in water. Pour over chicken and rice. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours covered.

• sheshebop
    13 years ago

Chicken Elegant

1 cup sliced mushrooms
    2 T butter
    1 can cream of shrimp soup
    3 T light cream (or milk)
    2 cups cubed cooked chicken
    1 T chopped parsley

In pan, brown mushrooms in butter. Add remaining ingredients and heat. Serve in puff pastry shells or over rice or noodles.

I have not made it in years, but used to like it a lot.
    Sherry

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL Becky! Double points indeed!

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Well, I did it. You guys got me thinkin' and I figured I'd give it a go. I wanted a crock pot dish as I knew I'd be working late today. So.

While 6 chicken thighs browned, I diced a cup of onion, a cup of celery and sliced 2 cups of mushrooms. These went into the pot, along with a couple of cloves of garlic, and topped with the chicken. One can Cream of Mushroom and one can Cream of Celery, 2 bay leaves, 1/4 t savory, 1/2 t black pepper, 1/2 c white wine & 1/2 c milk. Low for 7 hours.

The only thing I would change is that the chicken was a bit over cooked, so I think I'd make it 5 hours and check it next time. But over all, it turned out pretty tasty served over rice!

Who'd a thunk it? :D

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

For pure-T comfort food and convenience, many can O' soup recipes fit the bill for lots of folks. Perhaps most of us do not use condensed soup in our cooking as often as we once did or as our moms did, which is a good thing. But as a wise person once said, "everything in moderation."

Rachelellen, your chicken thigh crock pot dish sounds tasty!

• katefisher
    13 years ago

I have made the below recipe more times than I can count since finding it a few years ago. Always good and incredibly simple. Almost without fail someone asks me for the recipe.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Swiss Chicken Casserole

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

I have some long expired cans of soup left by an ex.

Take can of any flavor. Target practice until you hit it every shot. Kill and grill real food.

The gunless version requires that you chuck the can at a hapless squirrel or other delicious critter. Skin and grill as normal.

Both are low sodium and contain no added chemicals. Remember taking game off the bird feeder is not sporting but the birds will love you for it. Nothing better then filet da rodent from a sunflower seed fed tree rat.

: )
    lyra

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Okay - you asked for it! Here are my "dirty little secrets" LOLOLOL!

Easy Creamy Peppercorn Chicken
    Rated: 4 out of 5 by 22 members Yields: 6 servings

"A quick mushroom gravy, courtesy of soup and a packet of peppercorn gravy mix, smothers chicken and onions. Rice is a must-have side dish."
    INGREDIENTS:
    4 skinless, boneless chicken
    breasts
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet peppercorn gravy mix
    1 onion, sliced into thin rings
    1 cup water

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
    2. Place cleaned chicken breasts in a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish or casserole dish. Arrange the sliced onion pieces evenly on top of the chicken pieces. Scoop the mushroom soup onto the chicken and onions. Mix the peppercorn gravy with water and pour it over the soup, onions and chicken.
    3. Cover the dish and bake for 1 hour, stirring the chicken and mixture after 30 minutes. If desired, serve over rice or with mashed potatoes
    Mushroom Pie

Crusts for a 9"pie (top & bottom)
    2 hard boiled eggs, sliced (optional)
    1 tbsp butter
    14 16 oz fresh button mushrooms, sliced
    1 stalk celery
    ½ cup onion chopped
    1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    S&P

Saute the celery, onions and mushrooms in butter until they give off the liquid and it evaporates. Remove from heat and stir in soup and walnuts.

Place bottom crust in a pie dish. Line the bottom with sliced eggs if you are using them, otherwise pour mushroom filling into pie crust. Place top crust on. Crimp edges and cut steam vents. Bake 350 for 45 50 min.

Golden Chicken Curry

1 (2 to 3 pound) whole
    chicken, cut into pieces
    1 tablespoon garam masala
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 onions, chopped
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed
    cream of chicken soup
    4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
    4 tablespoons curry powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 ounces golden raisins

Directions
    1 Rub the chicken with garam masala and garlic powder. In
    a large saute pan, over medium heat brown chicken in
    olive oil in a large pot.
    2 Remove chicken and saute onions in the same oil, until
    golden. Return the chicken to the pan and cover with the
    broth. Simmer until the meat is tender and can be easily
    picked off of the bone. Remove the chicken to cool.
    3 Mix the soup into the broth in the pan, then add the
    potatoes and the curry. Simmer until tender. As soon as the
    chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the
    skin and bones and, if necessary, cut into bite size
    pieces. When the potatoes are done, add the meat to the potato
    mixture and heat through. You may add golden raisins at this
    point if desired, adjust seasonings and serve!

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

Here's one of my family favorite

Easy Chicken or Turkey Divan

1 - 1 1/2 lbs. fresh broccoli or frozen spears
    2-3 c. sliced boned cooked turkey or chicken
    2 (10 1/2 oz.) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
    3/4 c. mayonnaise or salad dressing
    1 tbsp. lemon juice
    2 oz. shredded mild Cheddar
    1 c. soft bread crumbs
    1 tbsp. melted butter

Clean and prepare broccoli or use frozen spears. If using fresh rather than frozen cook it briefly so it is still crisp. Arrange broccoli spears in greased 12 x 7 1/2 baking dish crossways so that the flowers are towards the sides of the pan. Spread turkey or chicken down the center of the broccoli stalks.
    Combine next three ingredients and spread over chicken and broccoli. Sprinkle grated cheese. Combine bread crumbs and butter and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 degrees, 35 minutes. Trim with pimiento strips, if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.