SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Wild Rice PIAF! ---- ??? -- La Vie En Rose--------

Rice PIAF? Mistake? Not really.

Kool Aid for chicken? Ridiculous? Not really, IMHO.

Two wrongs don't make a right? Not really.

I was looking for rice pilaf recipes, and I laughed that a few recipes I found spelled âÂÂRice PiafâÂÂ.

I mentioned that I had made a delicious mistake in someone elseâÂÂs kitchen, I used Kool-Aid powder thinking that it was brown sugar.

This wild wild rice meal was based on these two mistakes.

Piaf can mean small bird in French, so it made sense for me to get a small Cornish game hen.

Speaking of boning a whole chicken, this bird was completely boned out from inside out without cutting it open. A boned Cornish hen has a large cavity, perfect for wild rice stuffing. The wild rice stuffing was one of the typical pilaf recipes, except no butter was used. Plenty of fat from the bird.

The hen was first low & slow hickory smoked (150F + - one degree PID convection controlled, 8 hours) then 500F quickly roasted.

The pink sauce was a mixture of these, not a recipe, and not very sure of quantities:

⢠1/3 cup dry white wine
⢠2/3 cup chicken stock.
⢠1 teaspoon tapioca starch
⢠1 tablespoon blue cheese
⢠rosemary to taste
⢠ü cup Chopped white onion
⢠2 gloves minced garlic
⢠ý tablespoon fish sauce
⢠ý teaspoon tomato powder (or 1 teaspoon tomato paste)
⢠1 ý teaspoon raspberry flavored Kool-Aid granules.
⢠Pinch of pepper
⢠Chipotle pepper to taste.

Simmer everything until onion becomes very soft, then remove rosemary and add starch. With a hand blender, blend to creamy consistency.

La Vie En Rose, Life In Rosy Pink! With 8 hours of smoke and juice from the boneless hen. The wild rice was very good, perfect with La Vie En Rose playing in the background (linked below).

Thank you Edith Piaf, and thank you for your amazing real wild rice Teresa for making this enjoyment possible.

dcarch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4REbp0s_G9w

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite La Vie En Rose performance

This post was edited by dcarch on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 14:31

Comments (3)