Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? for anyone with a Cuisinart DLC-7

Posted by lizbeth-gardener (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 14:04

I found this processor at an estate sale-looks like it was hardly used. I don't know if there is a more elementary instruction that I didn't get or if I'm just missing something really simple. I would like to use it to make coleslaw, but cannot figure how to get the wide mouth feed tube to work. If I put the narrow one on it clicks and motor will run; if I try to use without the narrow, the motor won't turn on. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? for anyone with a Cuisinart DLC-7

Go to Cuisinart. com and download the manual. Do you have a shredding blade, or are you trying to just chop it? From your description I think you need to put the wide mouth food tube on and lock it in place and then drop in the narrow tube. I think my directions are poor, go to the site

o

Liz,

I don't know about exact models, but they all work pretty much the same way, I think. You have to put the pusher in, at least about a quarter inch, so that the prong pushes down the rod which allows the motor to go. It's not you. It's designed that way.

Cut your cabbage in half, and then into wedges that will fit the tube, put the main pusher in, with or without the narrow feed pusher inside the larger pusher, and turn it on, and it should work. You can probably (not asserting because of model variations) remove the pusher to add more cabbage, and put it back without turning off the motor, though I usually do turn it off out of habit.

Also, make sure that the handle of the bowl is over the hole in the base that the rod goes through. Mine is in the front. My housekeeper keeps putting it on backward and it takes me a minute to figure out why it won't work.

N.B.: There should be a small hole in the middle of the bottom narrow pusher. You can use it to drizzle oil, and stuff like that. There may also be a slot on the outside of the wide pusher and a tab on the narrow one. You can put the tab in the slot to sort of make them sort of stay together.

o

The mechanism is designed to prevent anyone from cutting off their fingers. They figure you can't get your hand into the narrow tube, so the machine operates. But you could get your hand into the wide tube, so the machine requires the tube be filled with the pusher.

o

WooHoo-I finally figured it out. It does seem a bit like putting a puzzle together. Johnliu, I thought it was probably a safety thing, but knew they weren't expecting me to shred cabbage thru that little hole. Deeebert-glad to know about the manual. I will check to see if it has anything I don't. My book seems like it covers everything but what I needed. I even looked at youtubes, but couldn't figure it out. After playing with every possible angle, it finally dawned on me. Pillog-thats what I had to do-keep removing and adding more cabbage, but it did a beautiful job in a short time, even with the stopping and adding and relocking. And the motor hums along so quietly. Think I will have fun with this-it came with 11 disks and four cutter/mixers!

o

Wow you got the full set of disks. All the parts for this FP are still available. It is a great machine.

o

Johnliu: Do you have any other attachments that you use or were you just meaning if something broke the parts are still available? I was amazed to read that the original warranty was for two years, but the warranty for the rotor, stator and motor shaft bearings had a 28 year warranty. I don't know enough about machinery to really know how long those items normally last, but couldn't believe a company would warrant anything for 28 years!

o

"--------I don't know enough about machinery to really know how long those items normally last, but couldn't believe a company would warrant anything for 28 years!"

Yes, you can warrant an induction motor for 28 years.

An induction motor is very simple mechanically. Only one moving parts and no electronics, no gears.

dcarch

o

I meant that replacement and repair parts are available.

o

I found the same model (+ maybe 6-8 additiional disks for vasious slicing/shredding) for $8 at a thrift store... no manual. You can easily find on at C's website, as previously suggested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here