Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken Tikka Masala

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 13:56

My first attempt at cooking Indian food has been EXTREMELY successful! I've always been put off by the long list of (often unfamiliar) ingredients.

However I saw a photo of a recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala that looked so good I just HAD to try it.

Before I did, tho, I ran it by a friend of mine at work who is from New Delhi. She told me the recipe was almost exactly as she makes it, and even brought me some Kasoori Methi (Fenugreek) since I wasn't sure where to buy that in my area.

Here is the recipe. It's from a blog called "Can't Live Without". It's delicious, easy and will definitely make a regular appearance on my table! It was surprisingly simple and quick to prepare.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Chicken Tikka Masala

For the marinade:

1 lb Chicken, cut into cubes
1 cup Yogurt
1 tbsp Cumin powder
1/2 tbsp Coriander powder
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
3 cloves Garlic, 1/2 inch Ginger�made into a paste or grated
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Chili powder

For the sauce:

1 medium sized Onion, cubed
1/2 roasted Red Bell Pepper (about 1/2 cup when pureed)
6 Cashews
1 tsp Cumin powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
3 Cloves, 1/2 inch Cinnamon, 2 Cardamom pods�ground into fine powder
1 tbsp Kasoori Methi (dried Fenugreek leaves, found in Indian grocery stores)
1/4 cup Cream
2 tbsp Tomato ketchup (I subbed tomato paste on my friend's advice)
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Oil
1/4 tsp of Chilli powder, or to taste
Salt to taste
Cilantro for garnish

Marinade the chicken with all the ingredients for marination for about 20-30 minutes.

Grill or pan roast the marinated chicken and set aside
In the mean time, roast the onions in the pan with a few drops of oil unil lighlty browned.

Add the red bell peppers and cashew and toss them around for a couple of minutes. Take if off the stove and cool until ready to handle. Blend the mixture into a fine puree. Add a few tablespoons of water if necessary.
Heat a pan (you can use the same pan used for roasting) with a tablespoon of oil and a table spoon of butter.

When the butter just melts, add all the powders (clove, cinnamon, cardamom powder, cumin and coriander) and saute until their aroma wafts around. Add the red bell pepper, onion and cashew puree and gently saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the chili powder and salt and the tomato ketchup. Mix well and add the cream. Crush kasoori methi in your hands before adding to the mix and cook for 2 minutes. Now add the grilled chicken pieces and toss to coat well in the sauce.

Check taste and adjust salt or chili powder as desired.
If you want a thinner consistency add a few more tablespoons of water and a sparing splash of cream. Gently simmer for 5 minutes.

Garnish with cilantro and serve with Naan (Indian bread) or Basmati rice.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken Tikka Masala

Linda,

That looks fantastic! I usually make the vegetarian version with Paneer (Indian Farmer's cheese). The recipe is pretty similar to what I do. Did your family enjoy it?

o

If you ever want to delve deeper into Indian cuisine, Penzy's has some wonderful spices as well as various curry mixes. I happen to love their hot curry, but they also sell garam masala, vindaloo, sweet curry, etc. They also have many of those hard to find spices.

Williams Sonoma has a wonderful book called Savoring India with some very nice and authenic recipies as well as a history about the cuisine.

o

Linda that looks wonderful. Great photo. And thanks for sharing the recipe.

~Ann

o

Delicious dish beautifully photographed.

dcarch

o

Near identical to my recipe from a friend. Made it with leftover cubes of Easter lamb.
I always have those ingredients on hand, except for cream so i left that out and used yogurt. Finish with lemon and lots of cilantro. I cook the rice with coconut milk and peas. (weird but i love peas)

-your pic has my mouth watering : )

o

It was amazing and the combination of spices was soooooo good, I would never have thought to combine that list of spices, but it works.....like crazy!

I asked my friend at work today to lead me to my next Indian recipe. She laughed because she is trying to learn to cook more "American" dishes and here I am asking her to steer me toward flavorful Indian dishes!

All I can say is that if you like layers of flavor and have not tried Indian food, it's amazing!

Linda

o

Oooo, I love that stuff and Chicken Korma, too. Since we have plenty of Indian restaurants around here, I will stick to buying it there! Yours is gorgeous.

o

Hi there,

Looks so amazing.

mahek

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here