Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retro Tupperware Party ideas?

Posted by maggie2094 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 13:45

I'm having a Retro Tupperware party Wednesday nite. Was looking at the Mad Men thread but I want t keep this very casual and kitschy...

It will be about 15-20 ladies.

I want to do a party rum punch. I have a giant bottle of Malibu Rum someone left here. Any suggestions?

I am definitely doing Ambrosia Salad in a mold I got on a swap here :) I know but thinking my kids would probably love the leftovers. lol Also doing a Kahula Chocolate Bundt Cake.

Sweet & Sour Meatballs (grape jelly and cocktail sauce)
French Onion Soup dip and chips

What else? My go tos like hummus and nice cheeses are out.

I remember seeing a whole pineabble skewered with something?...and feeling like I need olives? Celery stuffed with cream cheese and olives?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retro Tupperware Party ideas?

Deviled eggs?

o

Toothpicks with olives, ham, pineapple chunks, cheese, pickles, etc.

Little hot dogs in pastry or crescent roll dough served with little bowls of ketchup and mustard?

o

Cheese sticks...

o

Don't forget the bowl of salted mixed nuts.

o

On and your nice cheeses may be out, but mundane cheeses may be in?

o

Anything is better on a Ritz!

/t

o

Thanks, everyone! Perfect.

o

How about small slices of dark rye with a cheese spread and green olive slices.

o

In England, it used to be fashionable to put cheese and pineapple on sticks and push them into half a grapefruit - looked like a hedgehog!

o

I want to be invited to this party!!!! Sounds like a fun evening!

o

wow,you are going all out,I use to be a Tupperware dealer .The women had chips,cookies, pretzels.,maybe a cake,punch.

o

Mix the Malibu Rum with orange juice, add crushed ice and squeexe some fresh lime in it. Garnish with lime & orange slices

o

Hi everyone!

photo image-17.jpg

We had lots of fun!

Bacon and cheddar mini muffins (pills bury grands with bacon, red onion, tomato, cheese)

photo image-21.jpg

Everything is better on a Ritz....even spray cheese and an olive lol

photo image-19.jpg

I made a Ameretto Vodka Vanilla Bundt Cake which was super dense and moist.

photo image-20.jpg

...and Ambrosia Salad in my rosé silicone pan. The Tupperware ladies name is Rosie :)

photo image-22.jpg

I did also make deviled eggs and cocktail meatballs. Oh and French onion dip! I didn't get to the toothpicks which I wanted to but ran out of time.

I made a piña Colada punch which was off the hook. I used Coconut gelato. People said it was best punch ever and some never drink punch and couldn't get enough. Was so happy.

photo image-18.jpg

Thank you everyone for helping and sharing with me. Some of these ladies aren't back in their homes yet or are just living upstairs and have no kitchens yet...many lost everything in Sandy. This was a fun night to just let loose a little!

Don't knock freshness ;) was the motto of the night. Flip the kids and burp the lid! Just lots of silliness :)

o

Kmbc, that punch sounds delish...will save that idea.

o

Oh, how fun! I'm glad everything went well. What a great party idea.

/tricia

o

Oh almost forgot! She demoed strawberry salsa and it was amazing, served with cinnamon chips. It was strawberry, apple, kiwi, and jalapeño.

photo image-23.jpg

o

Thanks, Tricia. The Ritz was great idea.

o

I should mention the Rose Silicon pan I used was from GranJan in a swap :)

o

What a great party! I would like to steal (ahem) borrow a couple of these ideas.

Can you please post the recipes for the mini muffins, the cake, the punch and the salsa?

o

Thanks, Lowspark.

The punch I winged but basically this:

Piña Colada Punch

I bottle of Ginger Ale
I can of Pineapple Juice
I large bottle of Malibu Rum
1 Carton of Coconut Gelato or Ice cream

Chill everything before adding to punch bowl. Add ice or ice ring. Enjoy!

The cake was supposed to be this, but the first one got stuck in pan and I ran out of the pistachio pudding and used vanilla in the pic. This is such a good cake if your not opposed to using mix.

Amaretto cake

Ingredients:
1 yellow cake mix
2 pistachio instant puddings
4 eggs
1 c oil
2/3 c orange juice
1/4 c amaretto
1/4 c vodka

Spray bundt pan with Pam (baking) and bake at 350
degrees for 45 minutes. Glaze while warm in pan.
Glaze will soak into the cake. You can also save
some of the glaze to put on top when the cake is
flipped. Cool. Flip.

Glaze
1/4 c butter
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp amaretto
2 tbsp orange juice
Heat in pan until melted. Pour over warm cake.
Cool. Flip. Can sprinkle with powder sugar.
**can double the glaze.

Bacon Tomato Muffin Bites

Pillsbury grands or equivalent.
Peel apart the biscuit can get two or three per.
Poke into lightly sprayed muffin tin.
Fill with a sprinkle each of diced red onion, diced tomato, chopped pre cooked bacon (not too done), and shredded cheese. I used the cooked bacon that comes in a box and mini muffin tins.
Bake as instructed.

I like to sauté the onion ahead of time do it's softer when biscuit is finished.

o

Speaking of retro, I just got these things from my elderly neighbors family who is cleaning out her home for sale. I love the turtle with the cocktail picks and they said they use the latke recipe in this book. They had many of them.

photo image-24.jpg

o

Oh Maggie what a blast!!!

You nailed it perfectly...love the cheese spray. and Ritz ..didn't even know they still made that spray.

More than anything else I am so happy to see you partying and enjoying and laughing..

o

Thank you! I'm defintely going to copy-paste those. I never make punch because I'm not wild about most punch recipes but this one sounds really good!

o

Thank you, Chase :))

o

I just found this thread so sorry this is late. What is a retro tupperware party? I am missing some lids and was just thinking should I have a tupperware party? I haven't had or been to one in many years.

o

Yes, I've been distracted and missed it too.

Mags, it sounds like a great party. Of course everyone would be happy and silly, they were drinking the punch, LOL.

I also had to laugh at the spray cheese on a Ritz cracker. My brother used to go through cans of that stuff, now Dave loves it.

That cake seems a lot like a Harvey Wallbanger cake I used to make years ago with orange juice, vodka and Galliano, I hadn't thought about it for a long time.

I'm glad you had fun. Did you buy a LOT of Tupperware? (grin) I actually like the Lock N Locks better, but I remember I used to have Tupperware sippy cups for the girls a million years ago....

Annie

o

Great party!

I have many old framed food/kitchen posters of advertisements which I hang up for theme parties. They are not expensive and really make a retro theme come alive.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: tupperware

o

Debrak, maybe you can order lids online...not sure?

Thanks, Annie and Dcarch great photo.

Harvey Wallbanger cake sounds good! I have sticker shock from the price of tupperware and I just cant bring myself to microwave in plastic. I got the cake/cupcake carrier and some cereal bowls.

They will sit besides my Chinesefood container"ware" and my coolwhip"ware"...teehee

o

That looks like a fun party, Maggie! You really captured the spirit of the era through your food.

We visited the now defunct Tupperware Museum in Orlando many years ago and it was amazing to see the volume of business they did and number of representatives they had in their heyday.

o

I have a Tupperware Museum in my cupboard. I had a friend who was always have Tupperware parties back in the '60's. I still have a lot of it.

I hope everyone got a spork.

o

"---I hope everyone got a spork."

Found this. :-)

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: spork

o

Oh, that's funny. Mr. Spork.

o

I just watched a PBS special about the history of Tupperware. I have old Tupperware in my kitchen, and cracked up as they showed pieces on the special that I either still have, or wished I still had!

Donna

o

Oh darn, wish I'd seen that. I still have a set of tupperware popsicle makers and a lettuce saver and a bunch of cookie cutters. Maybe I will donate them to the Tupperware Museum.

o

I'm a little late but I'd like to add, tada,

Crab Spread

8 oz. cream cheese

1 can crabmeat, drained and sorted

bottle of chili sauce or seafood sauce, the red stuff, like Red Gold, Heinz, etc

Mush the cream cheese and crabmeat together. Pack the mixture into a tupperware container, such as a bowl, or loaf shape. Or just shape it into a loafy mound. Dump the chili sauce and garnish with crackers. Laugh, but it's good.

Oh yeah, you can add scallions, or other stuff to doctor it up.

That strawberry salsa sounds like the beginning of something pretty good. Perhaps add some chopped onion, small touch of balsamic.

Tupperware was out of my financial reality. I splurged on a couple of nice and well made things, but for the most part, it was too expensive for me. I loved my old orange juice container where I used to reconstitute frozen o.j., just add water, cover and shake. Used it every day as the only juice we drank was orange.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here