Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
deBuyer mineral pans at Tuesday Morning

Posted by arley (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 13:20

If you have a Tuesday Morning near you, you may wish to check with them today; there's a limited number of deBuyer carbon steel skillets on sale today at half price. They look pretty good, and I bought a few. The store got in less than a dozen, though, so it might be just a 'loss leader' to get people into the store--I doubt that these will last very long before someone swoops them up.

Here is a link that might be useful: debuyer skillets

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: deBuyer mineral pans at Tuesday Morning

I had to Google them to find out the interest, but they get amazing reviews everywhere. I will definitely go look at them. Thanks!

o

Thanks arley, I bought one of each. I've been curious ever since a recent discussion; I think it was michelleDT who was saying she loved hers. At this price figured I couldn't go wrong. I'd have bought more if they had a bigger size. Thanks again!

o

Sigh. Our Tuesday Morning closed months ago. Well, it wasn't really "ours", it was in Grand Rapids, about 50 miles away, but I always made it a point to go there.

Darn. Well, I didn't really need any more pans, so it's probably a very good thing.

Annie

o

Thanks, Arley!

I've been reading about these with interest for the last several years. Saw your post last night and found a local TM where we are staying in Oregon. I called the first thing this morning and they held one of each size until I could get there. They must have only received a few also because there were five left on the shelf (plus the two being held for me). I wound up buying two of the approx 8 inch pans and one of the 10 inch for myself and one of each size as for a friend. I am thrilled.

The clerk said a few people looked at them and purchased them yesterday. I commented that I didn't think they would be an impulse purchase - that the people who bought them would already know about them (especially since they can't go into a DW).

One thing that surprised me was that the hang tag says suitable for all burners except induction, yet a magnet just flew to the bottom of the pan. I have an induction cooktop but can't try these out for another thirteen days when we get home.

Do I remember correctly that you have induction? I'm hoping you do and can tell me how they work or that someone else with induction has one of these pans also and will comment. I just don't want to believe that a pan as strongly magnetic as these are might not work on induction.

Thanks again!

Lee

o

I don't have an induction stove but I did have an induction 'hot plate' I played around with. I'd bet dollars to donuts that these work fine on induction, irrespective of what the label says. Cast iron works great on induction, and these are chemically/magnetically very similar.

o

Thanks Arley, I must be remembering your induction hotplate. I can't imagine that these won't work on induction, but I can return them in Boulder if I need to. They are very strongly magnetically reactive so they certainly should work.

We also have an induction hotplate that we got about five years ago and in the spring of 2009 we put in an induction cooktop.

Lee

o

Arley, Thanks for the notice; I went by and got one for myself as well. The 10 inch is exactly what I needed, and I've been seasoning it in my oven since it came home. Lee, I actually bought it to use on my induction burner, so I'm hoping the label is wrong about this! I too can't see any reason it shouldn't work. The pan is nice and flat, and I'm counting on it for that. I also thought I could use it on my Volcano grill, and am anxious to give it a test run once it's well seasoned.

o

The packaging says no induction, but it looks like the site says induction capable. I'd be surprised if it's not.

Here is a link that might be useful: debuyer

o

I'll also be surprised if it doesn't work on induction. Thanks FOAS, sometimes things just slip by on packaging.

Claire, please let us know how your seasoning goes and how you like using the pan.

o

I checked our Tuesday Morning today and came home with a 10 inch and 7 inch DeBuyer for my son and his fiance, our family "chefs." If I get invited to a shower, I will gift them with these and the Mr. and Mrs. cocoa and tan burlap silk screened pillows. Otherwise, I will just surprise them with these. Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, our Tuesday Morning had 10 to 15 of them, and they were on row end shelves in the rear of the store. You had to be looking for them.

o

So how are you guys making out? My larger one warped on first use yesterday. Not good for ceramic cooktop. It's not the first cookware I've had warp, but most brands warn you not to use high heat. This one specifically says it's good for high heat.

o

Hi all, I am new here, have been on the Kitchen and Rose forums before.

I bought the 10" pan at TM and then found this thread, a wonderful coincidence.

Has anyone established for sure if the pan can be used on induction?

Foodonastump, sorry about the mishap. I had ceramic before gas and the warping was a big issue. I wonder ho induction deals with that?

o

Yes I've wondered that about induction, too. I feel that electric gets a way worse rap than it deserves, but the warping issue is reason alone to make me wish I had gas.

o

(oh, and welcome, gardenpixie!)

o

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, though I hang out regularly on Appliances and various of the gardening forums.

I bought two 10" and one 8" pans. They work perfectly on induction. I seasoned them according to the instructions (add small amount of oil, heat for 30 minutes over moderate heat) on our induction cooktop. The pans are fine. They darkened a very little bit after seasoning. I haven't tried cooking in them yet, I want to season them a few more times before putting food in them.

Cheryl

o

I'm glad I didn't buy one, although I looked, as I have a ceramic cooktop and that warping thing is really annoying.

o

gardenpixie and jadeite, welcome to the Cooking Forum!

Annie (who is still mourning the closing of her Tuesday Morning)

o

Thanks Annie, I can see this becoming a regular.

o

Thanks Annie. This forum seems very friendly.

o

Hello everyone ... so glad that I just discovered this thread! Love it! Thanks for telling us about this Tuesday Morning deBuyer deal. I appreciate the reviews as well! So glad that i saw this since I was considering ordering one elsewhere at a non-discounted price. Praying that there are deBuyers left in stores in my area ... I will call first thing tomorrow morning.

o

Good luck, lifeabundant, I hope you find what you want. Or something else equally as good. (grin)

Welcome to CF!

Annie

o

Yay! I found both sizes! I called a few stores & placed them on hold to pick up by tomorrow. So glad to find these. Hopefully these will be a worthy replacement for a couple of low-quality stainless steel pans I am purging from my kitchen! I am interested to see how I like these compared to cast iron & anodized aluminum.

o

@annie1992, thanks for the warm welcome.

o

Hello,
Any final results on th de Buyer Mineral Pan?
I purchased the 10 1/4" model to be used on an Induction hotplate. I did not see label warning until after seasoning. Have not cooked in it yet. This is my first Steel pan. It looks and feels, great. Anyone had any luck with these pans?

o

I picked up two of these, seasoned them, and cooked with both on my smoothtop electric. Great pans! I can get a great sear over medium-high heat with these. I have not tried using them on high heat - I only use high for boiling water. Going to try them on the induction burner this week.

o

I think at least part of my wobbling problem was due to some burnt on food on my black cooktop that I didn't see. Oops!

oasisowner - What method did you use to season them? Just the oil and use per the instructions, or some other process? (Mine got wet and are a bit rusty so I have to scrub and start from scratch.)

o

I always season my cast iron by baking in the oven at high temps, using a high smoke point oil. But for my carbon steel pans, I used the stovetop method linked below. It's way faster than oven baking. I now very much regret the $$ I've invested in quality ss clad cookware since I discovered these low-tech pans. Even though they are French, they are comparatively CHEAP! even compared to dept store cookware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seasoning carbon steel

o

FWIW, I used the method at the link. It's a tad tedious, but it did come out looking great and seems to be a pretty tenacious seasoning.

I really don't know yet if the end result is any better than just the usual 'cook a lot of fatty stuff like bacon'.

I also do a lot of frying with grapeseed oil. This is an oil with a high smoke point and polymerizes well, and that's all I use for high temp wok cookery, and my woks are getting nicely seasoned the more I use them.

About the time I got the deBuyer pans I also got a Paderno steel pan to compare. The Paderno has more mass to it, so it maybe sears a little better, but I don't have a definitive preference yet; the Paderno is a bit shallower than the deBuyer pans, so it isn't going to be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Here is a link that might be useful: cast iron seasoning technique

o

cooksnsews and arley - I'm interested in whether your pans came out with uniform slick surfaces after your seasoning? I've gone through this with the deBuyer pans I bought as well as two carbon steel woks. I did the deBuyer pans on the stove and got a light brown discoloration which didn't have the slick feel a properly seasoned pan should have. Then I did all of them in the oven, using lard, and baking them at 425F for about an hour. They came out with a darker layer, but the first time I used one of the woks, cooking at high heat, the whole layer simply evaporated!

I then redid both woks, using corn oil, in the oven. This time I baked them at 450F for about 90 minutes. They came out with a darkish surface, but it's not uniform. I've cooked with one of them and so far the layer seems to stay on. I may be home free with them, as I know once they're properly seasoned, they will get better with regular use.

I tried reseasoning the deBuyer pans on the cooktop, using high heat and the corn oil, and I got a darker layer but I'm not sure if it will stay there. I used one of them to sear fish and a few dark flakes came off the bottom. I may have to do them again.

I'm curious to know what your experiences were.

Cheryl

o

I'm very pleased with the surface of my CS pans. I don't think they are yet at the same non-stick stage as my CI pans, but they haven't been used as much.

BTW, real seasoning will not flake off. That sounds like cooked on gunk coming off. To season, you must use a very thin layer of your chosen fat/oil. If you use too much, it won't polymerize and penetrate the metal pores. The excess will just burn on the surface, and it sounds like that is what is happening with your pans.

o

I seasoned mine on the stove - thin layer of oil, heated over medium high until it smoked. This left a few brown spots. I used them the same night and they are not yet totally non-stick, but the sear was amazing! They darkened a bit more after cooking. I think with these pans you have to build up to the even, non-stick coating. They seem to be a little better with each use.

o

Hello everyone! It's been a while since the last comment; so, I hope this thread isn't dead. :-) Wanted to chime in again now that I've owned my deBuyers for almost eight months. Love them. They heat well and evenly. No, I didn't do the boiled potato peel seasoning; yet, my eggs slide out like butter.

Anyone else have any reviews to share?

o

@arley, I MUST thank you again & again for starting this thread especially now that I've fallen in love with my deBuyers. You were so generous to share the savings. What do think of deBuyer now that you've owned them for a while?

o

FYI, Dorie Greenspan raves about deBuyer on OpenSky. She has them at a savings (not as good as the $40 I saved on two at Tuesday Morning; but, savings nonetheless).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here